[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
second undergrad degree? education to engineering. worth the $/time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 75365234.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
75365234.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>be 24 years old
>just graduated with degree in Education, 4-8
>only got Education degree because wanted an easy ticket to travel abroad to teach English...maybe have some easy sex with Chinese women
>decide this plan is bullshit, juvenile, and would totally break family's heart if I left them
>enroll at good engineering school for spring '16, mechanical, but may switch to CS
>only taking basic math and science courses so far so can switch to another STEM field easily

1) am i a failure?
2) should i try and get a job teaching even though i don't like children and the pay is not good?
3) is CS just a meme degree that has you code monkeying for indians?
4) is it worth the time and money to get a second degree in a field irrelevant to my first?
>>
>Find a degree abroad but taught in English
>Teach english part time while studying

You'll get the degree you want, have far less debt and you'll have some good professional experience. If you want you can try and learn the language of that country too.
>>
just find an engineering job in china and fuck chinese women. that's what german engineers with yellow fever do! they move abroad for a year or two to find a wife
>>
>>16560087
>second undergrad degree
are you NOT american?
>>16560097
no company in america will recognise a Chinese engineering degree. A while ago, this Russian engineer was posting on /adv/ about how he wants to emigrate and how he applied for countless jobs in the states yet nobody responded.
>>
>>16560097
If you get an Engineering degree overseas, you will need to retake a series of exams if you want to practise engineering in your homeland. There exams are notoriously difficult and generally have a low passing rate.
A mainland Chinese degree will most likely be regarded as "inferior" in your homeland (this is certainly the case here in Hong Kong).
Most Chinese universities require you to know some Chinese.
You may or may not find an engineering job in China, but most entry-level positions require a knowledge of Chinese.
>>
>>16560087
>1) am i a failure?
Yes for picking a degree to fuck women overseas. You are a total idiot! This is especially the case as you dislike kids!
>2) should i try and get a job teaching even though i don't like children and the pay is not good?
Depends on circumstances
>3) is CS just a meme degree that has you code monkeying for indians?
Depends on country
>4) is it worth the time and money to get a second degree in a field irrelevant to my first?
Maybe. Are your parents rich?
>>
additional info:

>be american
>be promised to inherit grandparents house as long as I'm not a total fuckup and stay in country

I don't want to leave the USA anymore. Perhaps I'll travel abroad in the summers.
>>
>>16560142
1) I agree with you that it was stupid. I more-so just wanted to escape and live in an exotic place than to specifically fuck women. Also, I have converted to Christianity and now have aims to have children of my own. I feel Education is a very feminine-oriented career and that my natural abilities in math could be put to better use.
2) ???
3) USA
4) No, middle class. My grandparents and parents are supporting me though. Plus I will take out financial aid and take work-study jobs.
>>
>>16560087
You're better off going for a Master's degree than a second undergrad.
>>
>>16560148
>be promised to inherit grandparents house as long as I'm not a total fuckup and stay in country
I can see why you want to stay in the states then.
You already fucked up by picking Education. Why didn't you pick Engineering at the start? Don't you realise that most ESL school employers will hire someone with a degree and it can be in any field? Engineers switching to teaching is not unheard of. Obviously you did inaqdequent research at the start. That was 4 years of studying, you know. Aren't you a moron.
Also, I thought you couldn't study Engineering as an undergraduate degree in the US?
You could major in Engineering and teach Physics or Math overseas. The pay for secondary teachers at international schools abroad is pretty good. It is HK$30000-40000 per month (around US$51428-68571/year). A few schools even pay up to 50000. But then you dislike teaching so I don't think that will work for you.
>>
At least at the moment you are terrible at planning.

Since you have to get financially butt-raped to go to an American university, and the education is slow and usually sub-par, the safest option would be to self-teach yourself and get a junior technical job.

Also you should have worked out that you don't need a degree in education to teach English abroad. At some point during your 3(?) year degree you could have considered what you were doing.
>>
>>16560177
>now have aims to have children of my own
It is easy to find a Chinese wife in China. There is a reason why those German engineers moved to China to find a wife. Considering how rare white people are (I assume you are white) in Asia, you will get more attention there simply due to supply and demand. Also, in mainland China, the average person is pretty poor and only earns a few thousand RMB per month which is not too much. Marrying an American man is an easy way to emigrate.
Eurasian kids get a lot of attention in Asia again due to supply and demand. There was a Eurasian toddler in this tutoring centre where I worked and every time she comes my coworker will talk about how cute and Barbie-like she is. Obviously this does not happen in predominantly white countries as there is a glut of white people.
You can teach in China for a few years and then teach in the states or switch to engineering. One of my teachers did a part-time degree in Pharmacy. But then, is there any point in pursuing a job you know you hate?
Apparently it is very easy for German engineers to find engineering jobs in China as Chinese companies value an engineering degree. Not sure about American degrees.
>>
>>16560189
>Also you should have worked out that you don't need a degree in education to teach English abroad
/thread
Geez, plenty of engineers switch to teaching high school. OP is either a moron or a troll
>>
>>16560204
>>16560189

Wow, such constructive advise (?) and not derailing at all.
>>
File: 56436778883465.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
56436778883465.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
lots of Captain Hindsight faggots posting, lol
>>
>>16560218
What can we do? Travel back to the past and change his decision to pick Education?
>>16560223
It is not hindsight. Anyone with common sense can tell you that that was a fucking bad idea. Why would anyone pick a major that they have no interest in? Picking it to work abroad/fuck foreign girls is stupid. Even /trv/ will agree. Plus you can teach with an Engineering degree.
>>
>>16560258
is this not the "advice" board?
>>
>>16560414
We're not OP so we don't know what is "best" for him.
>>
>>16560414
since you are so smart, why don't you give advice instead?
>>
>>16560087
haha you are screwed
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.