[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
obsessed with the meaning of life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: image_9.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image_9.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
It started when I was 16 and discovered things I found cool like 4chan, Science, spirituality, Religion, technology and self awareness. I had an obsession with knowing more about the world. I'm 19 trying to figure out what to do with my life while balancing work and play like everyone else. Everything I learned about life just made me feel like shit, what's the point of life? Death doesn't scare me but the one thing I learned from Buddhism is that although you don't know what's next, you must cherish this life, so I can't kill myself. I smoke weed and ciggerettes to speed up the process though. I don't mind working but I feel like I'm trapped trading an hour of my life for minimum wage when I'm supposed to be cherishing it. Im to self aware of life itself and can't stop thinking about it to the point where I would rather be in my head than socialize with other people. I feel like everyone is to caught up in their own story that they can't see the bigger picture or probably don't care. I look around me and see people chasing women, money and success. I wonder why if non of this matters when you're dead? Why is the human race the way it is? What's wrong with me? And what can I do about it? please.
TL;DR
> can't stop thinking about the bigger picture of life, the reason we are all alive and what we are supposed to do about it.
>>
It's pretty normal to feel like that at some point in your life. Have you ever seen the Zeitgeist series, it will blow your mind dude I really recommend it to you. It will definitely expand your mind from this current shitty way of life in we all live. Start with Zeitgeist The Movie, then Zeitgeist Addendum and finally Zeitgeist Moving Forward.
>>
>>16559127
Looks interesting ill watch it now
>>
>>16559142
Cool! Get some hits from your joint before start watching but not to much cuz it's a lot of information to process haha
>>
>>16559115
Yeah I was like that. 21 now and it's much better. Of course I will never forget the fact I'll die and that everything is actually pointless. If I don't smoke weed I often think about death (did so ever since I was 6. one of the first things I remember from being on this planet is a conversation with my mom about time passing, about people getting old and about people eventually dying). I can also relate on the internalising part. I didn't speak until I was 7. They actually thought I was mentally retarded, until I was tested as the opposite.
That part will never leave me. But over the past 2 years I developed another way of thinking that helps me through the day. It's the awareness of having the unique opportunity to experience this world. You will die, but why waste your time here, thinking about death? Esp. in this age you get the chance to learn about the fundaments of reality, you get to engineer the world (or atleast to think about the opportunities), you get to stand on the shoulders of great literary authors. You get to (ab)use the best drugs. It's all pointless. But why would you need a point anyway? This universe is reaaally old and you get to experience 60 years conciously. You might aswell enjoy it.

Work hard for your career too, bro. From what I see, underachievers start overthinking too much and too often, which causes them to give up their make-believe life, ending in thoughts about pointlessness such as yours at the moment.
>>
>>16559142
>>16559127

It's truth mixed with lies, take everything you learn from Zeitgeist with a grain of salt. I warn you.
>>
>>16559205
What's lie about it?
>>
>>16559205
I can see what you mean after watching the first one.
>>
you should go watch a movie called "It's such a beautiful day"
It will destroy you from the inside, but in the best possible way

it's on netflix if you have that, or in kickass
>>
>>16559115
Keep tipping your fedora, faggot.
>>
>>16559127
Watched It.

Complete utter bull.
This would only work in a world with out the humans who caused the problem to begin with.
>>
>>16559714
Except for the part where the guy says babies can die from lack of touch/being picked up.
That was new. The beginning was pretty decent.
>>
>>16559684
some people are more concerned about the meaning of existence than what the kardashians are doing. faggot.
>>
>>16559186
That's a really strange age to have an existential crisis. As a child I used to have moments when I looked in the mirror and had this really weird feeling at being me. Like, it felt as if it wasn't really me, and my existence was just a small part of something else. Then I snapped out of it and ate my boogers or whatever I did back then.

Neitzsche's Anti-Christ is about how to live without God and how to avoid nihilism, even though the nihilism part was lost on me, because I still have the nagging feeling that nothing matters. But anyway, try Albert Camus too, the guy who thinks the only philosophical question is whether or not to kill yourself.

I don't know, find a purpose, don't find one, live with one, live without one, I don't give a shit. Nobody really does.
>>
Why do people assume there is this much higher purpose in life? If you're just living in your own mind you're practically throwing your life away just as much as suicide.

Your goal in life is just to be happy. And unless you're a sociopath that should also involve making others happy too. If you want to help people, help people in your community, volunteer, donate money to worthwhile causes. Hell, even just helping your friends/family when they need it is good enough.

I feel like people get caught up in these grand ideals. Wanting to save the entire world, wanting to do something that lasts forever, getting caught up with the idea of death, etc. They just become paralyzed and do nothing. Doing nothing is infinitely worse than doing something.
>>
>>16559752
Dude whoa! You tip that fedora any harder and you're gonna hurt someone! Fucking fuck you edgy faggot.
>>
>>16559115
Everything is inherently meaningless, but that's not a reason to be discouraged. You get to pick your own meaning. My choice is to help people, but you might be passionate about something else.

Just pick a project and make it work.
>>
>>16559886
Also meaning is the best way to get happiness long term.
>>
>>16559886
This nigga knows what's up.
>>
>>16559115
You were created to serve God , duh
>>
>>16559115
>cool like 4chan

wat?
>>
>>16560095
kek.
>>
chasing the meaning of life is not very different than chasing women, money and success

at the end of the day you are dead and whatever knowledge you've gotten won't mean anything
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7tp8zLaAU0

just laugh at people if U just need motivation or
gamble your time and find your meaning in your experience
>>
>>16559115
Do not go gentel in the self awareness.. ends up with nothing but confution with other one's shit.
>>
>>16560989
Ask yourself Worth for what? After you've end up you can't do anything. Take you chance it all counts
>>
you don't fuck andrew ryan , andrew ryan fucks you.
>>
>tfw 1st world countries are so comfy and spoiled they can literally waste their life THINKING about living

lol

Seriously though, you don't know shit until you've EXPERIENCED life. So get out there and experience. Learn something new everyday. I used to be like you, theorizing and rationalizing that everything is useless. You're young and you're dumb. If you're not learning from life you're not really looking. So go out and find your answers.
>>
>>16561042
this.

If you think you're nothing, you will be nothing OP

Ever hear of the self-fulfilling prophecy? google it.
>>
>>16561042
>tfw 1st world countries are so comfy and spoiled they can literally waste their life THINKING about living

Humans are pretty faulty creatures.
>>
>>16559115
Dude, WW3 is coming soon, die in battle, nice way to die.
>>
Feel the same way m8.
Came to the conclusion that literally no one knows what happens after we're done here.
Theres just no way anyone could know for sure lol
>>
File: 69361.jpg (332 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
69361.jpg
332 KB, 1280x960
life is a test, the only thing guaranteed for us is death. We are human , we where created with the choices to do right or wrong, we weren't made to be perfect. We were made to try to make ourselves better. Heaven and hell awaits us, and heaven and hell where made for both sinner , the sinner who tries his best to change and ask for forgiveness is given heaven while the one who wastes away and fulfills his desires is given hell. life isnt made to be fun its meant to be hard , for us to struggle, each person is assigned to a level in heaven based on their struggle, some higher than the other. so if life is hard know god loves you and is giving u a harder test to give you a higher level in heaven
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.