[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So like a lot of people here, I deal with bouts of depression.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: 1368813256620.png (206 KB, 748x639) Image search: [Google]
1368813256620.png
206 KB, 748x639
So like a lot of people here, I deal with bouts of depression. My current bout is lasting longer than normal and my normal strategies for getting out of it aren't working. I'm gonna try binging some TV show or book series or something next.

What movie/tv show/book series should I binge on, /adv/? Preferably nothing too heavy, but if you think it's worth it I might give it a go.
>>
Fairy tail has a healthy ammount of up and down. It may be extreme if you get involved, but you need something healthy to help you cry and be happy.
>>
>>16556116
I have had this show suggested to me before. It sounds like it might be time to sit down with it.

Any others?
>>
File: image.jpg (486 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
486 KB, 1920x1080
Madoka Magica.
>>
>>16556109
I don't know how TV, video games, and books help your depression. They only exasperate mine. I see all these characters living interesting lives, meeting interesting people, having relationships... It reminds me how lame and boring my shitty life is.

Good luck, OP.
>>
>>16556129
Well jesus, might as well throw in "Grave of the fireflies" at this point.
>>
File: Curb your Enthusiasm.jpg (11 KB, 230x173) Image search: [Google]
Curb your Enthusiasm.jpg
11 KB, 230x173
>>16556109
I watched Curb your Enthusiasm when I was feeling low. The show is kind of silly but it's mostly upbeat and entertaining.
>>
>>16556134
I mostly have episodes of depression, or at least it feels that way. Usually it's only a few days at a time, and usually hanging out with friends or doing something else snaps me out for a while. This time, I've had shitty luck with most of the stuff I'm doing - kept screwing up at work this morning, tilted HARD on league last night, and on top of that my roommate brought home a girl he had somehow forgotten I had a crush on (sounds worse than it is, she's not my type and she's moving away soon anyway). Add in a night of insomnia, and you've got a recipe for another shitty day.

It's got me in a funk to the point that I almost swore at my boss this morning, which is SO far outside my normal behaviour that I just need to find something to completely veg out on and try to reset with. Sleep is the most reliable thing I've got to do that with, but despite laying in bed and using normal methods of encouraging sleep, I just couldn't do it last night. That's why I figure several hours of anything engaging in at least a base level could help.
>>
>>16556129
>>16556136
>>16556146
I'll take a look through these too and figure out where to start.
>>
english muffins and butter
>>
I suggest you watch Babylon 5 if you didint. Its perfect light but meangful story and deep chars.

Even if you did rewatching is good option. It is a bit old but it wipes floor with anything modern so my suggestion is not to miss it.
>>
what are your normal strategies OP?
>>
>>16556129
Ended up on this, and I just got to the beginning of episode 3 and had a moment with that guy. I play the violin and it was very clear what that moment was communicating.

>>16556226
Like for food? Or is that a show?

>>16556239
That will go on my list too then. It's another one that's come up in the past a lot.
>>
>>16556327
Mostly if I can get through a day, sleep helps. Naps can stave it off for a while too. Sometimes it's a blood sugar thing, so eating something like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich helps - sugar for a quick kick, then protein for more lasting energy, or so I'm told. Whether that's true or not doesn't matter too much, cause a lot of the time eating helps anyway. Incidentally, that's a good short term solution if you're around someone who's diabetic and there aren't medical professionals around - in that case, of course, a diabetic is in medical danger, where in mine I just stay in a bad mood.

Video games are pretty hit and miss, cause I only really get a high off of it if I'm doing well, and if I'm already heading towards depression, I tend to under perform, which just exacerbates the problem. That said, it has worked on a couple occasions. If this if something you want to try, stick to single player games and start with stuff that's challenging, but you already know you can do.

Hanging out with friends usually works for me, and probably works the best. It's harder if the source of your frustration is with your friends, though, for obvious reasons. I do DnD on weekends and that has grown to be one of my most reliable "good times" activities, in part cause the DM is amazing, and in part cause the group tends to be on the same page with how seriously to approach the story (which for us is pretty serious for the core plot stuff, and a little more lightheated for basically everything else).

Cont.
>>
>>16556327
>>16556376
Something that I don't have good opportunity for at the moment, but has definitely worked in the past, is going out and just being in nature somewhere. Weather is shit right now, but if binging this doesn't work I might try that next anyway. Hiking, walking down a beach, chilling out in the middle of a forest, it all works. I legitimately fell asleep on a large rock in a river once, for like three or four hours.

I've heard forcing productivity works for some people, although that's probably the hardest thing for me when I'm already in depressed mode. Exercise is also supposed to be a great stress reliever, and while I've never used that while in depressed mode, I've definitely made neutral-ish days a lot better by working out hard.

Anything there help you?
>>
>>16556378
i can relate
>>
i feel like i got human rabies or some shit. im not gonna hit anyone though. OP do you feel this way?
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 273x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 273x443
>>16556373
>tfw OP picked mine

I'd be interested to hear more of your reactions and thoughts as you watch
>>
>>16556447
I felt like that for a little while this morning, which was my major cue to shake things up and try something new.

>>16556475
Finished with episode four just now. Not gonna lie, the show isn't really what I expected. I haven't watched all that much anime, though, so that's part of it. Plot spoilers ahead, I guess, although I think the show is one of those a lot of have seen. [spoiler]Labyrinths are trippy and weird and I don't like them, which I guess is kind of the point. Mami dying the way she did was really effective at getting the danger point across. I like the idea that the sort of wish a girl makes affects what she becomes, at least in theory, since I don't actually know how the two correlate. Also, I think the show kinda makes me feel a little validated - depression is supposed to be a disease just like influenza or whatever, but it's hard to look at it that way sometimes. If it were witches, that makes it feel simultaneously more okay and more manageable somehow, since having it in the first place isn't something I have control over, and dealing with it successfully feels more significant, like I just beat some foul demon or something. Did you have that in mind when suggesting it?[/spoiler]
>>
>>16556494
Is it just my phone, or did spoilers not work there? Or did I enter it wrong? Oh well, no biggie I guess.
>>
>>16556419
Haven't replied to this one yet, but I saw it. Figure I should say something since I've replied to everything else so far.

Hi!
>>
>>16556494
Honestly, it's just one if my favorites and a favorite if /a/ in general. I was also excited because of the new installment trailer leak.

But it also has major themes of despair and hope, which I think would resonate with anyone who has experienced depression. Oh yeah and advice doesn't have spoiler tags.
>>
File: over-the-garden-wall.jpg (243 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
over-the-garden-wall.jpg
243 KB, 620x420
Over the Garden Wall is a short and sweet cartoon mini-series. Very inspired by classic fairy tales and animation. It inspired me to get back to a short comic I was sketching/writing.

Mushishi is an incredible anime about a man traveling the countryside, healing and helping people coexist with mysterious creatures called mushi that not all can see.

Mushishi, with OtGW are both series that 'feel' like intriguing bedtime stories you'd hear before nodding off as a kid. I'd highly recommend them since they both have a 'warm' feeling to me.
>>
>>16556520
Good to know on all those counts. /a/ has always kinda scared me, desu.

>>16556524
This sounds great. Is it episodic in nature? Or is it more one continuous story? That can definitely impact my ability to binge something.
>>
>>16556520
Also I don't trust the cat thing. It just gives me the wrong vibes.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 620x350
>>16556566
QB is a qt
>>
File: Ginko.Mushishi.full.230979.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2400) Image search: [Google]
Ginko.Mushishi.full.230979.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2400
>>16556557

Over the Garden Wall is a continuous story of two boys trying to get home from a strange forest. Its 10 episodes at 10 minutes each, so it's basically a movie if you binge watch it.

Mushishi is a bit different. It's 26 episodes at 25 or so minutes each, but most of them are contained as in it's the main characters journey across the land, discovering mushi and healing people. Each episode is typically a new mushi and locale. You do get bits of his back story during certain episodes.

I'd say Mushishi isn't a binge-watcher due to its slow and peaceful pace, but very much worth it due to the beautiful scenes, creative creatures and chilling music. I didn't binge watch it, but would watch 1-2 episodes a night drinking hot tea or cider last winter. Probably the comfiest winter. I think there's a season two now.
>>
>>16556584
Done with episode 6. Two things after that one:

1) I like the main character's hair done up as a ponytail when she's at home more than the hairdo she has otherwise. Dunno why, I guess I like ponytails better.

2) The mother being what looks like a borderline alcoholic adds an interesting dynamic to her otherwise being a pretty good role model. Definitely not perfect, but it looks like she's doing the best she can with what she's got and being okay with it.

3) Did I mistype something to end up with desu on that other post or is there also a chat filter?
>>
>>16556610
That sounds wonderful. I will probably end up watching both of those.
>>
>>16556619
Lol it's part of the new word filter. Hiro is bringing us back to our weeb roots desu
>>
>>16556621

They're both worth it. OtGW seriously surprised me since I hadn't heard of it till the past week.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, anon. Winter is a pain with depression.
>>
>>16556633
I used to forget that I'm on a Mongolian Cave Painting forum. No longer.

Episode seven makes me understand Red (I can't be fucked with names, it's good that the main characters all have colors) quite a bit better. Honestly, given her position, I bet I'd have ended up the same way. Dunno if I think it's right, but that partially depends on what the deal with the cat is.

>>16556638
Thanks man. It's kinda nice to just chat here about this stuff. Most people IRL I talk to are super eager to give me all the solutions right away, if I feel comfortable talking about it in the first place. Plus, even if I'm imagining the expectations they've got for me, it's hard to convince Depressed Anon that it's okay to be just myself and not worry about what everyone else wants me to be. Nobody here knows who I am, which takes the stress out of it.

Plus the only friends I have into anime would be huge pains to talk to right now anyway. They mean well, but I'm in "taking a break from life" mode and it's just too much atm.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 800x761) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 800x761
>>16556675
Don't worry, my boyfriend refers to them in the same way. Magical girl anime is great at color coding.

Red (kyoko) is my favorite. I usually dislike the brash tomboy type, and I thought she was a bitch at first, but learning about her past made everything make sense.
>>
>>16556702
Yeah, she's my favorite coming out of episode 8. Madoka is such a painful character to watch cause she seems unable and unwilling to do anything (maybe hitting close to home... but hey, something was going to). Blue, before all that stuff, anyway, was also pretty easy to identify with. Green is more of a caricature, and Homura seems almost Mary Sue right now, at least from my perspective. Plus, Red doesn't seem to actually wish anyone harm, she just acts in kind of a "me and mine" mindset, where "me and mine" is mostly just "me".
>>
>>16556736
Kek green is barely important. She's just there to cuk blue, basically.

I honestly am really fond of all of the main cast, which is rare.
>>
>>16556109
Watch Blackadder, all four seasons.
>>
>>16556757
Episode 9
:(
>>
>>16556795
I've seen some blackadder in the past, that's some good shit.
>>
>>16556804
Don't worry, you're in for a trip with 10
>>
>>16556675
>I'm in "taking a break from life" mode and it's just too much atm.

Damn, I know this way too well. Some people get worried but it's just one of those 'recharge' phases. Just like a cold, when I feel depressed or tired I just want to be alone with tv, books and soup.
>>
>>16556820
Yeah, that was one hell of a trip. I'm glad I had time to finish all this today, I think it's time well spent.

>>16556895
It's the WORST when people get all worried for me. Like, I know it's good and all, but in my particular case, other people worrying doesn't really help anything. And it's hard to tell people that cause there are those of us who DO need someone to worry about them. I mean, I need people to worry about me sometimes, I guess. Just... not right now. Not for this anyway. Let me watch this magical girl anime in peace, dammit!
>>
>>16556820
And now I'm done with 11. Definitely time to finish it now.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 399x600
>>16556970
And after that, you can watch the movie if you'd like
>>
>>16556979
I saw that there are three, but two of them are just rehashing the anime. Are they with watching, or should I just watch the new material?

Also, my heart... Maybe I'm a sucker for endings like that, but that was really great. Also, the music was perfect. I'm gonna have to learn how to play that on something.
>>
>>16557020
I'm so glad you liked it! Actually, I would recommend waiting until you feel like revisiting the anime, and instead watch the three movies. That will give you time to let the series sink in.
>>
>>16556136
:'(
>>
>>16557023
Alright, I'll do that. I watched Your Lie In April a few months ago (had a similar experience with that show) and now that there's an English dub on the way, I'm keeping that in reserve to revisit in the same kind of way. And thanks for sticking around while I watched Madoka! I wish there were something I could do in return (like a hug or something), but I suppose there's only so much I can do on an anonymous image board.

<3
>>
>>16556116
>>16556129
>>16556136
>>16556146
>>16556239
>>16556524
>>16556795
Fairy Tale
Madoka Magica (check)
Grave of the Fireflies
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Babylon 5
Over the Garden Wall
Mushishi
Black Adder

Looks like I have a list of shows to watch when I'm blue. I might return to /adv/ when it gets to that, cause I had a really good experience today. Thanks anons!
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 880x880
>>16557087
Aw thank you, anon. I hope you feel better.
>>
>>16557168
I do :) I'll record something and put it up on YouTube at some point hopefully. That music was really really good.
>>
Go to the market and but the most red beef that you can find. Heat it in a pan until brown.
Then put it directly on the burner. Fuck the mess, it's good and bound to make you feel better.
The cow died so that you can eat, how many things die for you?
>>
>>16557320
Shokugeki no soma?
>>
>>16557192
I'd love to hear it when you do. I don't have a youtube account but I'd definitely bookmark a link to yours.
>>
>>16557848
Well, let me dig up the one video I do have then. It was kind of an off-the-cuff video, but I think it came out pretty good. BRB with link.
>>
Took a lot less time than I thought, that was really easy on my phone. Here you go!

https://youtu (dot) be/zCrfGdVJvag

(is this the proper etiquette for links I never post links but I always see them broken up like this)
>>
File: 1445461428455.gif (161 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1445461428455.gif
161 KB, 500x281
Gravity Falls is great, funny and builds up to an actual plot.
Rick and Morty is good for laughs and the occasional feel.
Venture Brothers is great, very fun.
Penny Dreadful is good if you want some gothic horror done right.
Dexter is kind of silly if you think on it too much but it's a good time killer.
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law is good.
>>
>>16557865
Lovely!! I can't wait to hear your Madoka cover.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.