[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to enjoy going to work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
My parents said work is not meant to be fun, choose something that pays the bills, you can learn to love your job, people who change careers are just romanticising job 2 too much, etc.
>>
>>16554274
Yes, it is possible, but the chances are not that high.
>>
I just come and shitpost while i work. Job is hella chill, but its just a min wage job while i go through college. Doubt actual well-paying jobs are the same.
>>
>>16554361
What is your job?
>>
>>16554274

it depends on the kind of person you are.

I'm very project oriented, enjoy doing basic math, organization etc.

so now i manage an office and its pretty dope. because of my importance at the business, theres never any 'busy work'. i do what i have to, then i just hang out on /adv/. i get to choose what projects i take next, and theres even an artistic element to it all so it completes me very well. i also got virtually unlimited paid time off, which is nice, and for awhile we had a shark i could play with, so i can honestly say i love my job and look forward to going in each day.

but some people can only process traditional 'fun' as enjoyable, so only want a job if its like professional sky diver.

but i have a LOT of fun at work. I've met others who love to just wait tables cuz they love talking to new people.

and a lot of it isn't about the job of course but the people you work with / for. having a bad boss at the best job is stupid. im thankful that the only person i answer to is fucking awesome.
>>
>>16554274
maybe
>>
>>16554274
Working close to where you live and enjoying what you do helps a lot. Being a wage slave that just goes through the motions to get by is difficult.
>>
>>16554361
>>16554390
>>16554640
So are you all suggesting that there is no such thing as a dream job and it is up to you to enjoy a boring job?
>>
>>16554760
I'm a welder and I fucking love welding, I find it relaxing and fun.
>>
Depends who you are working with. I enjoy working with someone I like. It makes me want to work because of the people I work with.
>>
>>16554850
Isn't that really tough and minimum wage work?
>>
>>16554274
I'm an engineer and I love what I do, but that doesn't mean work is fun all the time. I definitely think it's possible to over romanticize a job you don't have, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a job that isn't at least generally enjoyable.

Also your parents are just two data points, if most people don't like their job most parents will say jobs arn't fun.
>>
ITT: Young people who have no idea what the job market is about.

Are you all americans chasing the "americlap dream"

Grow up fags
>>
>>16554984
I've read that only around 11% of people worldwide like their jobs.
I worked as a translator at an auction firm. It was a fabulous job where I was offered expensive free lunches at I loved that job. Of course I won't want to work for an auction company for my entire life, but my parents said that I am romanticising working at such companies too much as you'll probably in charge of planning auction events and that can be extremely complicated and time-consuming.
Should I listen to my parents for career advice then? My parents advised me to pick a job which is not that stressful and pays decently. Or should I choose something according to my interests?
>>
>>16554274
Yes it is possible - probably not every minute of every day, but enough to make it not just the painful price you have to pay to have a life elsewhere.

It helps a lot if one or more of these is true:

It's something you enjoy.
It's something you're good at.
It's made up of frequent small accomplishments, so you get frequent good feelings.
You like your co-workers.
You're doing something that feels worthwhile, so you feel good about yourself
Your bosses and co-workers appreciate you.

Some people can get all of them - doctors, say. If you can get 2 or 3 it can be enough to make work satisfying and pleasant.
>>
>>16554991
>Young people who have no idea what the job market is about
Well then tell us what the job market is about
>>
>>16554999
If you where making decent money translating than why not.
>>
>>16555012
The pay was great, considering that the minimum wage here is pretty low and I got that job before going to uni (i.e. I have no degree/qualifications/whatsoever).
Oh, and sorry, I should have written down "interpreter" instead of "translator".
>>
Job? No.

Career? Yes.
>>
>>16555530
>Job? No.
>Career? Yes.
What is the difference between those two?
>>
>>16555534

>"You often hear the words “career” and “job” used interchangeably, but they are two different things. A job is something you do to in the short term to earn cash. It's filling a work role within a business exchange for money. A career, though, is a long-term pursuit of a lifelong ambition."
>>
I started out as a marine biologist. Got bored and tired of being poor. Got a job on a ship, painting and cleaning in the engine room. I loved it.

20 years later, I'm captain of an oil tanker. I enjoy my job very much. No job is perfect, and you'll often find that as you rise in rank and responsibility, that you'll spend less time doing the things that originally attracted you to the job, but if you develop yourself as a person, that gets compensated for as you grow in ways outside of work.

Anyhow, it can be done, but that's not the point. A man provides. That's the role that provides contentment for us, and it's hardwired, something you can't fight if it's already in your manner, which is how guys who hate their jobs get by day to day.
My own advice to my sons has been to weigh fiscal reward with enjoyment in the work, and seek the maximum for both. Some folks can be happy and poor, when they're younger. Once you're in your 30's and 40's, being poor is a nightmare with tangible consequences to stability, health and usually happiness, too, and to be avoided like a fucking plague.
>>
>>16554274
If someone tells you they love their job, they're either lying or they mean to say it's the least worst job.
If there's some intrinsic motivation (eg you're a science nerd so you become a scientist or you're a nature guy so you become a lumberjack) then it can be nice cause a lot of the time it's enjoyable and the sense of acomplishment is like winning a vidjagame. however nothing's fun 40hours a week for 40+ years. nothing! also it's not supposed to be fun, it's nice if it is, but you're not working to have fun.
>>
>>16554274
subjective...

your parents most likely said that because they accepted their career path as being dull

some people do enjoy work.
>>
>>16556409
So should I not listen to them and pursue something I love?
>>
No... think about it, not even the best job in the world (actor or model) is a breeze. The best thing is to do nothing or do a hobby...

So basically, I get mad as fuck when I see cops get paid so much to sit around doing nothing, stopping people they deem to look suspicious and retire early. fuck

And scientists enjoy their job because it's their thing

everyone else just pulls through the day
>>
If you have good coworkers, it can be pretty fun
>>
>>16554382
At a thrift store lulz
>>
yeah
>>
Your parents (and most parents t.bh) are fucking idiots. So you're supposed to spend 50+ years in a job you hate just because it's the norm and "no one likes their job"?
>>
>>16555591

Exactly this.
>>
>>16554274
Depends, there will always be some stress working, even if it is something you enjoy doing. For example, you can fuck up and get fired.
>>
>>16557490
Well >>16555591said it is not possibl to have fun at work as people who say they do are lying.
>>
>>16554274

Stop making these shitty threads. The stupidity hurts my brain.

If someone wants to pursuit a job they like, then they should do that.
>>
>>16557620
I am just asking for career advice. Should I listen to my parents for career advice?
>>
>>16557632

You made this same thread the other week and argued that if someone wants to be a lawyer, they should become a doctor instead.

But no, do what you can to find a job you enjoy. "Dream job" might be over the top. Because most people don't find that. But it is possible to find a job that you at least can put some passion into. Go for that. Don't settle with a job you don't truly care about.
>>
>>16557645
>You made this same thread the other week
That wasn't me
So... if I am interested in teaching I should teach instead of thinking about dentistry, etc. My parents are teachers and they think it is better to pick Dentistry.
>>
>>16557653

Yes. If you want to teach do that. Sure, teaching pays shit. But if that's what you want to do, then do that. Being a dentist requires a shit ton of dedication to study all of the medical shit. So if you don't want to do that, then don't waste your time.

Luckily for you. Becoming a teacher is a achievable dream. Pursue it
>>
>>16554274
It maybe not possible to enjoy going to work but I made a connection. Correct me if I'm wrong.
People who say your not supposed to enjoy work because it's work and you need money or say my favorite line "pretend" like you enjoy it (said the rapist), are the people who only accomplished having kids, putting food on the table, and bitching about putting food on the table and bills. My parents and relatives all say the same and they never did the shit they wanted to do or dreamed to do. Of corse you gotta start some where. If you have to work a shitty job so you can support yourself, then thats ok. You can try to meet your goals. I always ask if they got too comfortable or lazy, I don't have a clue. What I do know is when I hear that, I always see the pattern of the people that say that. There are people that love their job and they love going to work, so if it's not meant to be fun and you have to learn to love it, then that's like being at least a slave or being taken hostage and devloping Stockholmes Syndrome.

Remember seeing those shows when you were a kid asking children what they want to be when they grow up? Some chose astronaut, some athletes, singers, engineers, musician. Why ask them that only to have them grow up and be disappointed that they're not good enough to be those and to say well you gotta get a job and you gotta love it? What would be the point? If you ask a kid that, you better be fucking ready to be real with them.

However, I could be wrong.
>>
>>16557715

I agree that it's bullshit to say "you can be whatever you want". People who say that are liars. I want to be a Fighter pilot, but that will never happen.

The only thing you can do is pursue something that you want to do, that is realistically something you could achieve.
>>
>>16557665
What about studying Dentistry and later switching to teaching if that really does not work?
>>
>>16557737

Why would you do that? I don't understand the logic behind that
>>
Not going through all 41 comments, but I'll give my experience note subject.

I want-wanted to be a full-time missionary. But without a seminary degree, which I couldn't afford schooling wise- that wasn't the best option. I'm working as an intern for a Christian mental health facility right now and working at getting cosmetology license. My plan is to be a full time cosmetologist and do on and off missions work while I'm single.
It's like what the apostle Paul did. Tent making. It didn't make a buttload of money but enough to support him while he followed his passion, preaching the gospel.

Obviously I used a
Christian example, but it applies to other jobs. But the really big money makers like air traffic coordinators, doctors, etc, well the first 20 years you're not going I have time or money for your passion.

So prioritize.
>>
>>16557742
Well Dentistry seems pretty good like my parents said (the job prospects in my country are great). I'll just study Dentistry and see how it goes and switch to teaching if it doesn't work out.
>>
>>16557783

But what if spend tons of money on dentistry and hate it? During that time you could have already started your teaching career and been bumped up in pay
>>
>>16557800
In my country you can study Dentistry as an undergraduate and uni is pretty inexpensive.
>>
I want to sculpt and make produce action figures after I get a "real" job and make enough money to provide for myself.
Not everyone like sculpting and molding but it's so much fun for me.
Mike from RLM said he loves to edit but there are people in the movie/video editing industry that hates to watch 5-7 hours of material and edit it down to 20-30 minutes.
It really depends on what you love to do.
>>
>>16554274
Every job has it's downs, but the ups make up for it. Like I have days where I know what I'll be working on is important and everyone needs me to be there to do it. It encourages me. Some days though you feel like you not being there wouldn't make a difference, which suck. Overall though I like my job, since without it I can't do the fun things I want to do.

In the end, work isn't meant to be fun, but it can be fun if you like certain aspects of the job (what you do, who works there, benefits, environment, etc.). Hope that helps.
>>
>>16557874
That sounds fun, I'm getting into sculpting and customizing myself. Right now it's basic, like swapping parts around. I imagine painting and sculpting is going to the hard part.
>>
>>16557898
Oh nice!
Ya it's pretty much hell sculpting from scratch and trying to add texture is almost impossible but you need to start from somewhere.
Overall it's hard but it's really fun as well
>>
OP don't listen to your parents. They have no idea what the job market is like now, and their experiences will not be the same as yours.
That said, their advice is actually pretty sound. Very often people need to take a job they don't enjoy just to pay the bills. I had to do that while I worked my way through college. Lots of people world-wide are forced to do that and they don't have much choice. For instance, if you were born in a small town with only one major company in it, say a lumber company, it's very likely that the only decent-paying job you'll be able to get if you stay in that town is cutting wood. That's just the reality of your geography. Same goes if you were born in a small African fishing village, you'll most likely end up a fisherman if you stay.
The internet and modern education and transportation has made that better, so people have a chance to pursue a different way of life, but that requires effort and money in the first place, and the reality is still the same in many places. Sometimes the only jobs you can get are ones you might not consider "good". That's why it's true lots of people have to learn to love their jobs, they weren't lying.
That doesn't mean that that's going to be true for you though. There is a difference between a "job" and a "career". If you're still young you have a chance to follow your dream and work towards a goal of a career you enjoy. It's not too much to ask. Go for it OP, just be realistic.
>>
>>16557947
>no idea what the job market is like now, and their experiences will not be the same as yours
Yeah I agree. My parents tell me to become a government employee as they think that you get a lot of benefits, you will never be sacked unless if you make a big mistake, etc.
This was the case back in their days but no it's different. Nowadays, all entry-level government jobs are contract, short-term based. Only those who get a promotion get pay rises, full benefits, permanent employment, etc. Obviously all government employees want that, so there is a lot of workplace politics and working for the government is not so pleasant anymore.
>>
>>16557952
My parents have told me the same thing. It's supposedly true, government jobs are hard to get fired from just because it's a long bureaucratic process to fire someone. The hard part is getting the job in the first place. And as you said, most job postings from government agencies will probably be for temporary/contract workers, to me it seems like a stupid loop-hole for them to avoid paying people properly but whatever. Plus you often need some education for the permanent salary positions, but once you're in you're pretty much set.
I would consider any position that is temporary/contract, doesn't offer benefits, or falls in the area of retail, restaurant-work, telemarketing, or construction/manual labor to not be a "career" but a "job". Jobs are generally less enjoyed, while careers can be more fulfilling, though they often require some kind of education or previous experience to even get your foot in the door.

It's true though that permanent salaried positions are not as plentiful as they used to be. There's a definite wage-crisis in America, where jobs are plentiful but well-paying jobs with good benefits are not. Less people are unemployed now but many more are underemployed, sadly only politicians and the 1% have the power to change that, and it's not clear that they will.
>>
>>16557757
Hey, how does a "Christian mental health facility" differ from a non-Christian one?
>>
>>16557966
So... my parents want me to become a dentist in my country working for the government. I am interested in teaching in another country where I have citizenship in the future or even teaching aboard. Is it worth it?
>>
>>16557975
bump
>>
>>16554274
i enjoy my work
so yes, it is possible
>>
>>16558014
And what is your job
>>
>>16555580
How can you be poor as a marine biologist? Like shit you'd think that pays a decent fucking amount.
>>
>>16554274
It depends if you know how to monetise the things you love and whether or not you'd still love them if you monetised them. Fucking anything can make you money if you think about it the right way. Pretty much everything leads to the sale of something which is a market you can get in on.
>>
>>16557975
bump
>>
Yes that is true. My job is boring as fuck, but I love the people I work with. You make your life fulfilling.
>>
File: 905.jpg (98 KB, 615x461) Image search: [Google]
905.jpg
98 KB, 615x461
>>16554952

Are you retarded?
>>
It is possible to enjoy going to work most of the time, though nobody enjoys it all of the time. Sometimes you just get bad days.

The big thing, counterintuitive though it seems, is to NOT follow your passion (unless your passion is something that absolutely cannot be done outside of a professional context). This sounds strange, but the problem with following your passion is that it becomes very easy to do nothing BUT that. Burnout inevitably follows, and because you've been doing nothing else, you have nothing else. Not good times.

This is not to say you shouldn't enjoy what you do; that's important for mental health. But it is better to do the thing you enjoy second-most or third-most, and leave the thing you enjoy most for after-hours fun. It is possible to invert this, but you have to commit extra-hard to your hobbies if you do -taking (or teaching) classes is good- to make extra-sure that you stick with them. The consequences of going down to one thing are too disastrous.

If you don't mind my asking, what is it that you want to do?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.