[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a fuckup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11
File: 1449775279693.jpg (14 KB, 310x464) Image search: [Google]
1449775279693.jpg
14 KB, 310x464
I'm a senior in high school. I know I am. I'm someone who's obsessed with instant gratification pretty much.

So its around the time to start applying for colleges, and I know I'm going to have to go to community college. I got abysmal grades in high school, I have no excuse for my academics at all. I was/am basically a stoner in high school, I don't and never really smoked every day and I barely do anymore but I'm still in that mentality. I do hard drugs occasionally because I am an idiot. I'm just a shithead who knew I was throwing my life away but didn't care. My doctor said I had ADD and depression and possibly a personality disorder, but none of that shit is an excuse to how I am. I know I can accomplish things I just procrastinate and fuck around and I just have no willpower. I basically have a D-average GPA wise.My family isn't rich. We're lower middle class and I'm a burden to them. My older brother is a fuckup and I was the smart one, but it all went downhill in 8th grade. Now we're both failures. My parents are immigrants and worked hard making our lives good, they came from third world shitholes. My dad never talks to me anymore and neglects his whole family, and my mom has horrible mood swings and is on SSRIs. We have a history of mental illness, so it doesn't surprise me I'm fucked up. But I know it's not an excuse and people get by in worst situations. I just needed to vent and provide some background info.

Basically, in Massachusetts we have a CC transfer program. Keeping a 2.5-3.0 GPA means you can transfer to any state school you want after 2 years and do the remaining 2 years there. State schools in MA are good because we have a good education program compared to the rest of the US, and it's cheaper for me due to being a resident. Community college is pretty much my only choice right now, I could go to some lower-end state schools but my parents don't have a lot of money. I know I can get through CC in general if I put my mind to it.

(cont.)
>>
File: 1449776239799.png (80 KB, 226x233) Image search: [Google]
1449776239799.png
80 KB, 226x233
>>16553313
But I'm worried about my major. I'm fucking horrible at STEM. Like, plain awful. I'm shit at math and was in the lowest classes in high school. I like some aspects of science but any of it is conceptual shit, and popsci bullshit like 'oh wow space and physics are coool man'. My good classes were history related courses and english. You can guess where this is going. I want to major in History but it's fucking history. I'm afraid I'm wasting my parents money... college is kind of cheaper for me because of affirmative action I guess, but my parents would struggle to pay the 4-5k for CC every year. I'm likely going to take out a loan. I have never tried doing anything with my hands, but I'm so clumsy and I feel like I wouldn't do well. Trade school isn't out of the picture though.. I'm just unsure.

I did a programming course in HS with C and struggled to wrap my head around it. I'm just fucking dumb I guess, I have trouble paying attention in school. I know I could major in something practical and minor in something I love, but I don't think I could finish anything practical or like the job. I didn't like my Business courses... I don't know. I'm scared.

I know a History degree is useless and to go far with it and keep going to college I need money, and I don't have any. I really do love History and I have an interest in it past pophistory shit, and I enjoy reading. But I know this degree is kind of useless... should I major in History? What should I do? I'm just so worried and scared. Please help me guys, I'm going through a rough time.
>>
File: 847.gif (63 KB, 398x336) Image search: [Google]
847.gif
63 KB, 398x336
>>16553339
tl;dr family is poor, I'm a failure, going to CC and worried about my major because my passion is History and I know that I could learn what I'm passionate about studying shit by myself and keeping it as a hobby.

I just want to be happy and let my parents die knowing that I sort of got my life together and their hard work wasn't squandered.
>>
File: Interesting.png (170 KB, 900x764) Image search: [Google]
Interesting.png
170 KB, 900x764
Optimal solution is easily tradeschool. It isn't that hard to learn, you learn from a apprentice and you get paid a solid wage right after you get licensed.

After that you work for a number of years and then go pursue your history degree on your own time with no pressure whatsoever.

The suboptimal would be going to university getting a degree in history, taking a loan and not getting a job at all.

The optimal solution is the best. Trades is for people who like to get hands on but get paid nicely as well. You can read history on your spare time and tell your parents this is the best route for your.

University isn't for you anon, even history is very difficult once you get third and fourth year. The pressure is high and the amount of room for error is slim.
>>
>>16553362
Thanks, I needed some hard truth. I'm just so fucking terrified that I'll be bad in trade school and nothing is really for me... I'm a pretty clumsy lanky person and never worked a blue collar job in my life. I don't have a good work ethic or discipline.

The trade route sounds like the best one though, what would you recommend? I don't feel like I'm good with my hands but I can learn if I put my mind to it.
>>
>>16553354
Stop being stupid my friend. There is no high expectations imposed on you by anyone but yourself, no high goals anyone but you are holding yourself to. Failure is totally a problem of perception, because if you are able to work and live your life, you're a a success in every way.
Don't be so hard on yourself, it's your own life you're making miserable by suffering over this.

That being said, I faced the same problem in school. I love history, but I went civil engineering in school. I'm 26 now and I'm very glad I did. I read regularly (have been getting into the greek/Roman classics recently) outside work. History is a hobby I love but I'm so glad I'm not stuck teaching elementary school or still be in gradschool trying to make a history degree 'useful' because I decided to study it.

That's my 2cents
>>
File: Good luck.gif (812 KB, 400x168) Image search: [Google]
Good luck.gif
812 KB, 400x168
>>16553386

Trades is more about thinking and just picking the right solution for the problem. You will be given a variety of scenarios and the instructor will give you a plethora of answers you can go for. Just observe and ask a lot of question.

Regarding what I recommend, the electrical field is always hiring. Other fields that are in demand are pipefitting, plumbing and diesel mechanic.

Terrified huh? First off stop smoking weed anon, it will fuck up your brain chemistry. Second off start to learn how to meditate and get your mind more clear. Thirdly clumsiness isn't an issue, you will be constantly practicing over and over again. If you still make mistakes, write it down on a piece of paper dude.

Believe me most people in trades school aren't good with hands but don't like the idea of going to college and wasting their money. You need more self confidence if you ever want to accomplish anything.
>>
File: 1449783251845.png (368 KB, 945x574) Image search: [Google]
1449783251845.png
368 KB, 945x574
>>16553406
Civil engineering seems difficult, a lot of math involved. The problem is that I just don't have a high expectation imposed on myself but rather care about the perception of me from others.. like my family. I just have low self-esteem I suppose. I don't really have low self-confidence though, I'm fine in social settings.

>>16553412
Thank you. I've stopped smoking weed because I realize it makes me lethargic and definitely affects my memory. I'll look into it, thanks anon.
>>
>>16553362
How difficult is history really? Couldn't he just become a teacher?
>>
>>16553313
First of all, you are not a fuck up. You are young, you've made some bad choices during your teenage years, plenty of people do that. I personally was a bit of a shit head during high school and didn't even officially graduate. However, I was able to go to a CC and transfer to a good university (best ranked one in Canada actually) and I am on track for grad school. There are plenty of people in your position and you are not at a disadvantage in any way. I personally know people who have been in your situation and finished med/law school. You're seriously overthinking this and worry about nothing.

Now regarding your major. STEM is a meme. Don't fall for it. I can't tell you how many people I know who graduated with degrees in biology, chemistry, physics, even engineering for god's sake, and are currently unemployed because they are shit at the stuff they studied and barely got by, or don't have the knowledge/social skills to exceed during the interview. Companies have been increasingly hiring foreign STEM majors as well because they are cheaper, and unless you are very talented and innovative it's unlikely you will get a top dollar paying job out of university with your bachelors. If going the STEM route and you only want to go to school for 4 years, objectively, the best major is nursing. Almost guaranteed a job, and the pay is great.

Study what you like. If it's history then go for it. Just keep in mind that you'll most likely need to get a masters degree-PhD to get any sort of work in the field. There is opportunity for historians in academia, museums, and you can probably do some kind of co-op program during your studies. Stay on good terms with your profs, connections mean a lot. Often enough, it's who you know, not what you know that lands you a job.

Trades are over hyped. You won't start making anywhere near 100k. Your body will hate you in 20-30 years, and not to mention, automation is coming.

Third, cut the hard drugs out.

Good luck
>>
>>16554170
Thank you. How demanding is a nursing degree? I heard nursing programs are really competitive.
>>
>>16554238

I don't know personally. I am majoring in psychology with a minor in biology (interested in medicine for psychiatry or going to grad school for a PhD) but from what I've heard it can difficult. However it's obviously doable and if you're dedicated you can do it. You'll need to take a variety of biology classes, ranging from intro, to human anatomy, possibly microbiology and others, as well as some chemistry. You should really considerate though if you're set on just going to school for 4 years and landing a good job. There is a lot of potential for overtime hours as well and it's not unrealistic to pull 100k+ as a nurse. Believe it or not, there are actually some nurses who make more than doctors because a lot of doctors are stuck paying off loans, malpractice insurance, stuff like that. My best advice right now, if you're interested in nursing, would be to make an appointment with the program coordinator or an academic counselor at the college you're going to. I wouldn't want to misinform you about anything.

Just stay positive, remember that this is a fresh start for you. Above all don't be lazy. If you get a grade that sucks, don't let it discourage you. Learn from your mistakes, if you're struggling with some of the material, that is what professor office hours are for. Use them. Best of luck anon, I have faith in you.
>>
>>16554170

This guy is peddling a whole lot of bullshit. In fact all three paragraphs are utter nonsense.

I don't believe a word of this post because he obviously isn't responding to the OP's post. Just pushing an agenda out with vague answers that don't mean anything.

OP clearly said he sucks at math and was bottom of the class in high school yet suggests nursing which has a fair share of math in the beginning.

Says "go for history" when OP is worried about the financial burden on his parents and the pay off. It is one thing to tell the kid to go for what he loves as a degree, it is another to tell a struggling high school student "hey do history but listen you need to get a PHD to get any sort of work" forgetting that his parents will have to pay for it.

Mentions is how trades will hate your body for 20-30 years but what I suggested were jobs that weren't physically straining. How about you tell him that 8 hours of sitting is unhealthy and your body will hate you in 20-30 years down the road as well you twit?

Automation? Really? Automation will not be taking the jobs of summon who does detailed work in electrical circuits and has a demand in all house hold appliances. I don't know wtf you have been smoking but don't peddle bullshit like you have anything to talk about.

OP ignore this hogwash and stick to trades mate. Get a solid income, pay back your loan and then go to pursue whatever degree you want in the future that deem fit. I don't want you to buying into this crap when clearly this guy didn't read your post.
>>
>>16553362
This.

Former MASShole here.
Look, I have a BS in biology, and 2 MS's, and no shit, wrote the world's most boring book on how international biosecurity protocols affected genetic research in farmed animals. I quit research the day after grad school finished.

I'm the captain of an oil tanker, 20 years later. Much better job.

OP, college is NOT for everyone. If you go there to 'find yourself' including finding direction, it's a sucking waste of good money.
I'd always suggest becoming a merchant mariner if you're trying to find a path. Even if it isn't a career, in the end, for you, the 6 months or so you're on vacation every year gives you time and money to figure out what to do with the rest of your life.
The thing is, college only makes sense if you're either already wealthy or plan to take up a career that pays for itself. People say that you don't need money to be happy, but I've been poor and I'm relatively wealthy now. Rich is better.
You have time. Don't push yourself into something that can haunt you forever, and don't use your thumb as a fart cork either while you're sitting around. Seek out something interesting and you may find that you truly enjoy it.
Also, get over yourself, when it comes to being a shitty and lazy worker. You'll be judged by how hard you work just as much as how well you do what you do, and a man NEEDS to feel productive to feel comfortable and well-rounded.
>>
File: Nonsense.gif (170 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
Nonsense.gif
170 KB, 500x401
>>16554266

Oh and look at what we have here, a fucking psychology major is peddling the idea of STEM being shit. What a complete joke. If I knew you were pushing bullshit before, I am certain now.

OP look at what this guy is telling you. Honestly. He ignores your weakness for math, says go to 4 years of college, then two years of nursing while your parents fork the bill. Doesn't mention the 12 hour shifts and being on call for the rest of week or the fact that 1/3rd of all nurses quit the profession within 2 years.

No no it is all about being positive and having a "fresh star". You really want to take advice from a guy who doesn't know jack shit? He is even peddling this bullshit that nurses can pull 100 k a year without mentioning the obscene hours you have to work and the physical strain on your body. Think about it. An electrician works in the mornings and punches out in the afternoon. The work isn't strenuous in the least compared to a nurse, yet someehow....somehow being an electrician, or a plumber is backbreaking work?

Don't be lazy. As if a guy who is flunking school can simply not be lazy any more. Oh and it gets better, he even says "learn from your mistakes" which is even more vague shit.

OP I am done dude. I have never seen one person peddle more bullshit around then this guy. I gave you the specifics, I gave you a plan and most of all I read your fucking post.

>>16554279

There you go dude.
>>
>>16554276

You're a fool. Just because someone "sucks at math" in high school doesn't actually mean they suck at math. Math is actually a lot easier than most people think. All it requires is PRACTICE. I sucked at in high school, But I got a B+ in various college level mathematics classes by practicing equations daily for 1 hour and was able to take general chemistry and other courses that required math as a pre requisite. Obviously if you're lazy and don't practice you won't do well. Also I never told him to become a nurse in that post, I merely mentioned it as the best STEM option if he was thinking of going that route.

The trades are largely for people who are idiots and who couldn't get in/finish college. No offence but most people don't actually go into the trades because they enjoy it. It's because that is the only work they can get. Most people in the trades live miserable lives, hate what they do, and I've worked construction before part time when I was in first year of college and more than half the dudes were uneducated coke heads and alcoholics dumber than a box of defected power tools. Some tradespeople who like to work with their hands are happy sure, but the vast majority would rather be doing something else.

And yes automation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/05/21/408234543/will-your-job-be-done-by-a-machine

See for yourself. Physical workers will be irrelevant sooner than later. In the future, it will be engineers maintaining robots who do most of the physical work. Better start thinking of what you're going to be doing for retirement.

Don't hold back this kid from potential success by going to school to get an education because you yourself were too thickskulled to graduate from college. Does it threaten your manliness that someone doesn't want to do your shitty trades job?
>>
>>16554302

STEM is a meme. If you're actually so fucking dumb to think that graduating with a 4 year bachelors degree in biology will land you a career you are a moron. Then again you are a tradesman so I'm not surprised.

And yeah I'm a psychology major, so what? I'm going the BSc instead of the BA route though. Do you know what that means or are you dumb?

BSc stands for bachelor of science. So on top of the psychology courses I am taking, I take a lot of the same courses other science majors take. So far I have done organic chemistry with lab, general chem with lab, calculus I, stats, neuroscience, intro biology with labs, as well as anatomy and some health science courses. My goal is medical school or grad school.

But even if I were studying to get a masters degree in something completely obscure. Let's say, fucking Spanish, that would be far superior to someone with a bachelors degree in Biology because there would be a wider job market for someone with an MA in a foreign language. You could land a job teaching English to foreign students for instance and that would pay a lot better than an unemployed dickface in an over saturated field. God damn you're clueless aren't you?
>>
File: Huh.png (216 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
Huh.png
216 KB, 351x329
>>16554338
>>16554364

The funny thing is you assuming I am a tradesmen. Read this entire thread and tell me one time I said I was a tradesmen? Who is to say I don't know a tradesmen who I asked this about or even got this information online?

So let me get this straight anon. You say STEM is a meme and that you shouldn't fall for it. Yet claim that OP should become a nurse which is in stem. Excluding that contradiction you are in STEM yourself but in the lowest field of all displines. Here is a guy talking about how terrible the job prospects are for biology yet he is in psychology. Not only is the irony so amusing but the matter of fact way you present your advice to the OP. The mere idea that peon like you thinks he is actually pushing out advice that is substantive in anyway is what is so amusing.

Notice how you never replied to any of the critiques of the nursing field I brought up or the fact that his parents have to pay for his education or that he is to go community college before college.

Did you read any of the OP's concerns at all you nitwit? OP doesn't need a hack like you who is clearly trying to convince himself that getting a degree in psychology is even worth it for a person like me who gave him a genuine plan that actually read his post.
>>
OP here.

The most practical route after reading through this thread seems to be trade school, and then going to college when I'm comfortable for an education and not job prospects. The year or maybe two I spend training for a trade I can also work and 'find myself' without spending money and getting in debt...
>>
>>16554397

>durr OP I am done dude can't take it anymore I suck so much cock!
>Monitors thread and comes back to cry and be a passive aggressive baby about things

STEM is a massive meme. Especially the common STEM majors which are biology, computer science, chemistry and physics. Everyday, just on this website, you'll see people posting about being unemployed despite having a STEM degree.

Yes nursing is STEM. But it is the one STEM major that actually has a better chance of landing the graduate a job because there is such a high demand for nurses in the healthcare field, which will only grow as the population increases.

And yes, job prospects for someone with a simple bachelors degree in biology are terrible, just like they are for someone with a bachelors degree in psychology. I never claimed I would get a job with my degree. However, perhaps you are blind, but I told you that I am planning on going into medicine or to graduate school. I'm not even taking a year off after my degree is finished. I have another minimum of 4 years of school left. When I finish my education in full job prospects are definitely better than they are with a simple bachelors and I'll be doing what I love. A bachelors degree in most cases is a stepping stone.

And I never said nursing was easy. I don't know much about the field other than it's a job that is in demand so grads have an easier time getting employment. It's up to the OP to do the research on the field which is why I mentioned in my earlier post to make an appointment with the academic counselor or coordinator of the nursing program to find out more about it.

You are a massive, massive autist. I honestly feel sorry for you.
>>
>>16554420

I work as a landscaper and I hate it. I started when I was 19 because it was a job that was available and I needed money. Now I'm 28. You're going to be miserable just like me. If your parents are offering to pay for your education, take the opportunity. My parents never even offered which I think is a big part of the reason why I didn't go to uni, didn't want the debt. But if I had an opportunity to have my parents pay for my education I would have gone with petroleum engineering.
>>
>>16554433

nice dubs
>>
>>16553313

Do a 2 year IT program at your CC
>>
>>16554397

>posting anime faces

Are you a NEET, autistic and over the age of 18?
>>
>>16554422

>there is such a high demand for nurses in the healthcare field

Nothing more needs to be said at this pinhead.

>However, perhaps you are blind, but I told you that I am planning on going into medicine or to graduate school. I'm not even taking a year off after my degree is finished.

A retard like you who can't even do basic comprehension would never get in.

> I don't know much about the field other than it's a job that is in demand so grads have an easier time getting employment

So I was right about you talking out of your ass. You truly don't know shit about anything.

> It's up to the OP to do the research on the field which is why I mentioned in my earlier post to make an appointment with the academic counselor or coordinator of the nursing program to find out more about it.

Op came to us for advice you fucking idiot. You didn't even read his fucking original post.

>You are a massive, massive autist.

Oh yes I am the massive autist who didn't contradict himself, gave sound advice to a lost high school kid and knows what he is talking about more then a dispshit like you who isn't going anywhere in life.

>I honestly feel sorry for you.

The day I take pity from a person like you is the day I will end my existence. Notice how I never once shared one iota of information about myself but you opened yourself like a textbook. All you need to know about me anon is that I am much smarter than you, a lot more successful and don't broach topics that I have no reason in being in.

>>16554420

Good shit mate, I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to update whenever you can.
>>
>>16554460

>A retard like you who can't even do basic comprehension would never get in.

I already wrote the MCAT and scored in the 80th percentile. My GPA is 3.8 and I have over 800 hours of volunteer work, plenty of employment history, ec's and some research done. I have a good shot at getting in.
>So I was right about you talking out of your ass. You truly don't know shit about anything.

I don't know specifics about the nursing field. I know that generally it's a field that is in high demand, and has good pay. I never told OP anything beyond that and told him to look into it more for himself if he was interested.

>Op came to us for advice you fucking idiot. You didn't even read his fucking original post.
I read OP's original post. He asked me more about nursing here >>16554238 which is why I posted what I knew about it. And I know that he said he wasn't good at math. I encouraged him to do what he felt passionate about. People who have careers they don't like are statistically miserable, probably like you, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were unemployed and just shit posting in mum's basement.

>gave sound advice

You gave good advice on how to end up an overworked, alcoholic deadbeat whose only aspiration in life is to earn 50k/year hauling shit. Christ I feel bad for twats like you who actually talk about trades but have never actively been in one. I actually have experience in the trades and I would choose anything over it. It's shit full of miserable people.

>The day I take pity from a person like you is the day I will end my existence. Notice how I never once shared one iota of information about myself but you opened yourself like a textbook. All you need to know about me anon is that I am much smarter than you, a lot more successful and don't broach topics that I have no reason in being in.

People who generally talk about how much smarter they are than other people, are not that smart. Pull your head out of your ass.
>>
>>16554460

>I am much smarter than you

holy fuck. I'm not even the guy you're talking to but you are the worst kind of faggot. posting anime and talking about how superior you are. Fuck me.

go back to /r9k/ and tip your fedora. Your post is cringe tier
>>
File: the-duke-26986.jpg (27 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
the-duke-26986.jpg
27 KB, 500x321
You like history... I would try and major in Hotel Management / Tourism trade. Try and apply for a job on cruise ship.. you get room board food and you work your ass off.. but you get to see the world. Keep studying history for a tourist area that you really love... learn the foreign language for that area too. Later on... apply for a hotel or tour guide in that area. Live life over there.. talking about history to dumb college girls and milfs on vacation in your home town.
win/win.
Boom!
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.