[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got accepted into a college. I told them I had a problem with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Got accepted into a college. I told them I had a problem with homelessness and stuff so they let me right in but I have a problem

Anti-social neet here, $200 on campus pw. I only make $520 a fortnight so is living of $60 a week for food and books ect going to cut it?

I'm really nervous about moving interstate alone I can't couch hop if I fuck up.I'm 19 any advice for me?

Any advice for me?
>>
>>16548261
Ramen noodles, potatoes, rice, beans. Buy cheap, filling food. Eating on a budget is easy if you know how.
>>
>>16548261
You'll have way more than enough if you don't eat out literally all the time like an idiot.
>>
>>16548277
food wise no issue, what I worry about is books and shit. I'm broke af

>>16548289
I don't even use a phone m8 ;)
>>
>>16548290
Buy used books or rent them online. Though sometimes it can be a pain because they're constantly making "revised edition 1404DE+" of every college book. If you can figure out what you need ahead of time it would help.
>>
File: 1438804395898.jpg (27 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1438804395898.jpg
27 KB, 321x322
>>16548290
I can't speak for all colleges, but they usually keep a few copies at mine. Or you can borrow from friends or torrent pdfs or whatever else.

What might really bite you in the ass is that mandatory online crap. That stuff is pretty much non negotiable, so I'd stress to abuse the library as much as possible for what you can.
>>
>>16548261
>campus pw
whats that?
>>
>>16548310
per week m8
>>
>>16548290
not sure what kind of college you're going to, but I always wait a bit before I buy the required textbook. Most of the time you can easily get a good grade by just going to class. At least for gen ed. I also found quite a few of my textbooks online. If you have to, buy them and then sell them when you're done (RIGHT when you don't need them, or they'll become outdated).
60 bucks is more than enough
>>
Google libgen. Get your books for free on there.
>>
>>16548261
Once you're enrolled they'll do all they can to keep you there (partly because it's good for their statistics, partly because they're genuinely committed to helping students). Part-time jobs, loans, help with expenses will suddenly appear once they're invested in you.

And do your own cooking.
>>
Start slangin kush bruh
>>
>>16548261
You're not alone, OP. I went through the same thing, and I survived on a weekly 45$ budget for food.. so there's absolutely no doubt in my mind you can do the same thing.

Just some tips from my years of experience living at the poverty line as a student:
1) A lot of scientific books have torrents online which can be downloaded easily. I then printed the most important pages, the rest I just studied via my screen to save some money. If you cannot find a torrent online or another way to download the book, you can just borrow someone elses and use the copy machine. I copied a 180$ book that was 800 pages for about 19$. Alternatively, if nothing works, ask the professor if you can get a free pdf file, if that professor authored the book. Just tell him the truth about your budget and he'll gladly give you the pdf.

2) Always cook food, it's way cheaper. If you don't know how to cook something, go on youtube and watch how-to guides. There's plenty of great videos that show you how to make even the simplest of things. Very important to remember here is that buying ingredients for a single meal is really expensive. Most ingredients you buy, when prepackaged, are too much for a single person to eat. For example you'll buy some bell peppers but it will come per two, instead of per one. Etc. What you need to do is buy plastic containers and always cook 2 portions of one meal. This will also save you a hell of a lot of time, as well as money.

3) Make around 6 basic recipes and cook them over and over. Some recipes that are ridiculously cheap and easy are:
- rice+ broccoli+ chicken (get frozen chicken in large quantities, super cheap)= around 1,50$ a meal
- basic bolognese sauce with spaghetti (onion, garlic, canned plum tomatoes, mince meat)= around 2$ a meal
-spaghetti carbonara (eggs, grated cheese, bacon strips)= 1,50$ a meal
- etc!
>>
It depends what you define your 'and shit' as. Bookwise for learning? Check out the Khan Academy. Copies of the books to do problems for homework? Make a friend in the class with a book and copy the problem pages, plus you will have somebody to get
the notes from if you miss class. Your school's library may also have a copy or twoof the book, make sure to go in the library first day and copy the shit out of them before some asshole rents it for the semester. What do you consider your 'and shit'? Socializing, drinking, vidya? You can do all of those things for free or nearly free on campus.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.