[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey 4chan, I need some advice. I graduated high school before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: alp.png (287 KB, 539x452) Image search: [Google]
alp.png
287 KB, 539x452
Hey 4chan, I need some advice. I graduated high school before the summer, and now I'm in Community College. But I absolutely cannot muster up the motivation to do any of the work. I've procrastinated the shit out of everything. And I've been an A average student my entire life. Music is the only thing that's gets me through my day. I'm trying as hard as possible to not sound like a spoiled little bitch that doesn't want to do any hard work. But that's what I feel like right now. I literally take 3 classes. Math, English, and a Film History class. That's fucking it, and I cannot for the life of me do any of the work. I was thinking that I should get a full time/part time job (which I'm actually working on atm), and just do that and music. I'm in a couple bands, and we're all actually very skilled musicians. I guess my question is, should I just be a wage slave, and work on my music? I know the chances of making it the world of arts is slim as fuck, but that's the only thing I'm motivated to do. I want to succeed in music as much as I want to breathe. I talked about this with my parents, and although they're very supportive of me playing music and all, they got angry with me when I said I don't want to enroll next semester.
>>
>inb4 You're gonna have to things in life that you don't want to do in order to succeed.
>inb4 good luck becoming a wageslave.
>inb4 good luck having your options reduced

I know, I know. This has been drilled in my brain my entire life, yet it doesn't seem to affect me. I would rather be doing something I love and be a wageslave, than waste my money on a degree in school
>>
>>16540688
Try a trade
>>
Not OP, but I'm suffering from almost the same exact shit right now.
>>
>It's so very hard to put off my music for a year or two while I get the most valuable education I'll ever get in my life

I do other impersonations, too. Andy Rooney, Seinfeld, you name it.
>>
>>16540789
It's not about putting off music. It's about not having the motivation to complete my school work. So what would be the point of attending if I'm just gonna fail?
>>
>>16540884

I mean if you dont have the motivation, you dont have the motivation. In my experience, sans drugs, there is no way to get you to do shit you hate. Ive been in school on and off for the last 4 years and feel pretty much the way you do.
>>
>>16540884
And you'll have the motivation to go into work every day? You'll have the motivation to focus on your music when there's bills to pay? You'll have the motivation to do anything but cook supper and go to bed after putting in your 9 hours at X office job? Of course not.

An education is about making your life more efficient. You make more money in the same amount of time so, ideally, you can work less and focus on other things, like your music.

Quitting college isn't going to improve your chances of making it big. In fact, it's only going to make it harder for you when something unexpected comes your way, like an injury, or a baby, or something that needs cash money to fix.
>>
Take time off school. You've been on rails since pre-k and now you aren't.

Recharge your batteries, take stock of what is/n't important to you, appreciate that college is an option, seize that option (seriously, don't rob yourself of higher education), and explore the things you care about in college/uni (music being an obvious example).

The next semester you take, whether it's next semester or 3 semesters from now, had better include a music class.

Feel free to ignore all of this. I'm not your dad, not that being your dad means anything. You're in control, man. And it sounds like you're a little burnt out, especially after being an A student for so long.
>>
>>16540899
He's in community college its not gonna help him a fuck load in terms of getting a good job, & he's sinking money into it. If something unexpected were to happen his debt from the degree that did nothing but prolong him from getting his mcjob isn't going to fix shit.

I say go for it op. But music can take a fuck load of dedication. If you quit school don't practice any less then something like 5 hours a day, it doesn't matter how long you work just don't be a pussy and make as create the best music you can and keep pushing yourself otherwise your most likely wasted potential.
>>
>>16541075
>>16540950
>>16540899

All of you anon have provided with helpful insight so far. Thank you.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.