[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Needles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: woof woof motherfucker.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
woof woof motherfucker.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Went to the doctors today for stuff with depression. She asked if I wanted to have a blood test, but I declined since I'm petrified of needles.

I regret doing this if there's any chance that a blood test could help. Not sure what a blood test would find that would be relevant though.

Regardless, I have to go back in January, and I'm considering asking if they could do it. How can I get over my fear?

I don't know what caused it, I've never had a bad experience with needles (Sore arm for five days because of HPV jabs, but that's the closest I've had to a 'bad' experience.).

Does anyone have any tips to help me get over it, other than just going for this blood test? I've never had one before so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Even pictures of needles, or seeing people get injections on TV set me on edge.
>>
It's not that bad if you don't watch them do it.

Alternatively, I can lend you my cat.

> take cat with you
> hold cat while nurse prepares
> nurse shows needle to cat
> you bleed freely
> nurse sucks up blood
>>
>>16531982
I always look away, I still end up panicking.

However, cat sounds good.
>>
>>16531970
>Not sure what a blood test would find that would be relevant though.
Whilst depression's not something you can pick up on a blood test, she's wanting to see if there's anything physically wrong with you which might be responsible for or at least contributing to the way you're feeling at the moment.

>Does anyone have any tips to help me get over it, other than just going for this blood test?
For a blood test it's usually just one needle, and quite a small one at that. It's like a sharp scratch when it goes in, then that's it - once the needle is through the skin and in to the vein you don't actually feel it, and you don't get sore afterwards like you would with some injections. The actual "painful" part is over in a second, to tops. Despite not being a fan of needles I allways like to watch them do it, just because I'm curious to see how it works.
>>
Look away
Close eyes
Whistle to take away concentration
Squeeze something (Like stress ball)

Know that it isnt going to damage you in any way and keep reminding yourself that your fear is irrational, and just your retarded brain's way of stopping something that could be beneficial for you, for no reason
>>
>>16531997
Any ideas of what physical things?

>>16532004
I know the fear is irrational, but even then, as you said, my brain's fucking stupid.
>>
>>16532010
Go through it. Only way. It's only 5 minutes of discomfort. Also it's completely okay to feel heavy discomfort. But that's really all it is, discomfort.

You know what being mature is? Being mature means being okay with periods of discomfort in life. Being mature is embracing and enduring discomfort, instead of avoiding it. Just like there are no pills that increase your penis size by x inches, or a deodorant that instantly attracts women and makes them slide onto your cock. Welcome to being human bro, enjoy the ride for all it encompasses.

At least you're not being drafted.
>>
>>16532010

>but even then, as you said, my brain's fucking stupid

Just keep reminding yourself that. Fear is irrational. You dont do irrational things like drink bleach or walk out your front door naked, why should this be any different?

Control your fear, dont let your fear control you. Psyche yourself up, force yourself to do it as you would anything else you're afraid of.

Bravery is not the absence of fear. It is the action taken in spite of it.
>>
>>16532026
Also, it's 2015 and people still can't grasp the crystal clear message of Shia Labeouf's video
>>
>>16532026
>>16532030
>>16532032
Thanks guys.

Gonna get it done, even if I do end up embarrassing myself a little what with fear.
>>
>>16532036
OP you will probably be impressed at how fast your blood pumps out of you. I was scared of getting my blood tested but I was really amazed at my blood. I've never seen it before like that. It spurts out of you.

The needle was placed in the crook of my elbow and left a big ol' bruise but the whole process wasn't exactly painful. I had initially had my eyes closed but upon not feeling a lot of discomfort, I opened them and watched my blood spurting out.
>>
>>16531970
blood tests can show if you have a vitamin deficiency, if you do then it can be a big part in depression.
needles aren't scary, it's just the initial build up towards it. i'd say just go for it man, don't even think about it
>>
>>16532042
I've had nasty cuts and animal bites before, blood does just come pouring out.
>>
>>16532032

This so hard. Yes Man kinda did it first but Shia Lebouf really hammers the message down
>>
>>16532044
Ah, okay. I remember my girlfriend mentioning hormone things too, but I dunno if that'd show up in blood?
>>
>>16532055
well your vitamin levels do play a part in your hormones so. i get regular blood tests because i always have low vitamin d and b12, which contributes immensely to the way i feel.
>>
>>16531970
Many people are scared of needles. The nurses will understand. They'll help.

The needle only hurts a second, then you're ready to go home. Think of any other injuries you've had that were worse. A little poke is nothing.

Think of the guys in wwii. They had to have surgery, amputation, stitches, and broken bones fixed on the battlefield with an injection of morphine if they were lucky. Getting a shot is nothing in comparison.
>>
>>16532061
This. Vitamin B12 deficiency is some scary shit.
>>
>>16532061
This. Vitamin b12 deficiency is some scary shit
>>
I hate blood tests, but am okay with needles. The blood test itself isn't particularly uncomfortable or anything like that, I just hate the idea.

You can skip the needles and change your life direction via working on your mindset, and taking up regular intensive exercise.
>>
They probably will do the generic comprehensive metabolic panel to see how your electrolyte balance, bilirubin, and liver is functioning. I could see them doing a cortisol test if you have problems with anxiety and depression. Source: I work in a lab.
>>
>>16532230
Any idea how long the results will take to get back to me? I live in the UK if that makes any difference?
>>
>>16532044
This, OP. Having blood tests done can detect things like this and other things like Hyperthyroidism (another condition that can be linked with depression) for example. It really is something that's beneficial for treatment.

As far as putting up with needles, staying relaxed and closing your eyes can help. Once the needle is inside, open your eyes and come to terms that you're not in any danger. I've never had a fear of needles but I've used this when I have trouble relaxing or easing tension. Hope this helps.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.