[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been staring at an empty Word document all day and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1449091694225.png (30 KB, 387x264) Image search: [Google]
1449091694225.png
30 KB, 387x264
I've been staring at an empty Word document all day and I've only managed to write a single half assed sentence. I have six more pages to go and if I somehow am able to get into it I might be able to finish tonight.

How do I come up with the words to type?

This paper has been haunting me for two weeks now. It's all I think about. I can't allow myself to do anything else until it's done, yet I haven't done a thing with it. I feel like the past couple days have been one big blur and I'm miserable.

I am guaranteed to fail this class if I don't do it. The paper is already late. Why is this so hard for me?
>>
Are you the STEM major who posted yesterday (or maybe the day before) who couldn't write a research essay for English or something?
>>
>>16528753
Yeah.
>>
>>16528756
Yeah, you're fucked. You haven't even taken the advice we gave you: get off 4chan and do your essay
>>
>>16528762
>do your essay

How do I start?
>>
Man this isn't something worth making two threads over. Use a program to block 4chan if you have to, leave your phone in a different room if you can't trust yourself to leave it alone. The paper clearly isn't "all you think about" because you'd at least be able to write more than a couple of words for it. Stop fucking about and force yourself to do it. If failing your class isn't motivation enough, nobody here will be able to motivate you either.
>>
File: p3.png (169 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
p3.png
169 KB, 480x360
Maybe give yourself 15 minutes or so to plan, brainstorming any old ideas for paragraphs, and then put them in some sort of order. I always find it helps me to have some sort of bare bones framework that I can fluff out before starting. Even googling a template for the sort of paper you're writing may help as that could point you in the right direction and give you some ideas of how to structure it. Most of the trouble is in starting, so once you have a plan that's most of the work already done.

It might help to think of it in terms of a paragraph or even a sentence at a time rather than how many pages, as the idea of doing it is obviously already overwhelming you. A change in environment like taking a trip to the library really helps with my motivation because my room is usually a chaotic cess pool of clothes and dirty plates that make it hard to concentrate. Also if you're at the library, librarians or even the book search system can be a good help with finding relevant material on your subject.

Try something like http://tomato-timer.com/ make sure to take breaks so you have a bit of time to look forward to and give your brain a rest. Allow yourself incentives along the way as well as a big one at the end if you can afford to buy something you've been wanting or even if it's just giving yourself a lie in and a day to goof off now you've finished.

If you have lecturers/tutors, take advantage of their drop in sessions or when they're in their offices or even just shooting around emails, they are there to help you and could definitely help with your paper.

I believe in you OP, you've got this!
>>
>>16528745
>6 pages
Pffftt hahahahahahahahahahahaha man up faggot. It's only six pages. That ain't shit. You're seriously worried about a six page paper? You're fucked for the rest of your college career if you think this is even remotely challenging.
>>
>>16528745
Look at the topic for the essay. Do you have any knowledge on the topic? If not, read some relevant material. If the paper has a specific question or argument it wants you to elaborate on, come up with 2 or 3 things you could use to answer or support it. In plain english, write an introductory paragraph that describes what the topic is, the question or argument you are addressing, and the 2-3 things you are going to use to answer it.
Then use those 2-3 things to write 2-3 more paragraphs, describe the things, take a quote or two from source material the supports it, and describe how it helps to address the question/argument.
Add more things/paragraphs as needed for paper length.
Finish with a short conclusion that reiterates how your three (or more) things answer the question/argument, maybe how they connect, etc.
>>
>>16528745
JUST START EVEN IT ITS SHIT WHEN YOU START JUST START
YOUR BRAIN REQUIRES CONSCIOUS ENGAGMENT IN ORDER TO FOCUS ON AN ACTIVITY AND THAT REQUIRES STARTING
START
>>
>>16529136
Still stuck after first sentence t b h.
>>
What is the topic / prompt, OP?
>>
I'm a brat writer, I win essay contests and shit
Just bs it and write the longest, most overly wordy sentences you can think of. It may not be good, but it fills up word count like a motherfucker.
>>
Find one point to make and then repeat it over and over again in different ways. Pull a bunch of quotes and citations from texts, it adds words and teachers love that shit.
>>
>>16529860
Not OP but the thread yesterday all he gave us after asking multiple times what he has to write about is "read a story and write a paper on it"

There is zero helping him because he was told multiple times how to write the paper, and started offering someone 100 bucks to write it for him. He's just looking for someone to do his assignment.
>>
>>16528745
The first draft of anything is dogshit. Every book, movie, TV show ever looked like a fucking joke on its first draft.

Just put words on the page. You can't fix something that hasn't been written. Put down literally anything.
>>
Write instead of procrastinating on 4chan
>>
>>16528745
Type dumb shit, then get annoyed and replace it with better shit.
>>
>>16529860
I have to take a story from our book and write a six page research paper on it.

At this point it's more than a couple days overdue and I have another six page essay from another class coming up that I'd like to get over with, but it should be easy because that course actually makes sense. It's too late now to start again and if I'm not able to do it tomorrow it's not going to happen at all.
>>
>>16530037
You're obviously not a student material if you can't write six pages essays, can't organise your time so you won't have a problem with meeting the deadline, can't have enough self discipline to stop shitposting on 4chan and write the damn thing. What do you expect us to do? Write it for you? Pathetic. Just drop out already m8
>>
>>16530047
Believe it or not I had all A's last semester aside from the B I had in the other english class I had to take. I just hate english.
>>
>study engineering
>perfect student in my stem classes
>flop around like a wet fish with a dictionary in english

I hate this, I literally have nothing to say on these topics and I get headaches thinking of how subjective it all is
>>
>>16530053
That only reveals how shitty your university is, if they allow no-brainers get straight A's. What does it even mean that you cannot into english, is it your second/foreign language or what?
>>
what's the topic of your essay? I don't recall you mentioning it in the last thread...either that or I got too bored with your last thread to peruse it any further. I just got done writing a 12 page paper. All I did was work at it little by little every day and I managed well. Maybe your problem is lacking motivation and procrastination.
Although I'll admit, I am no better. I have been known to procrastinate myself from time to time. But holy shit Op, certainly not for this long.
>>
>>16529900
Thanks for the info, now I don't have to waste time concerning myself with Op's shitty thread.
>>
>>16530074
Read a story in the book and write a research paper on it. I don't know what I'm researching though t b h f a m.
>>
>>16530100
Did you even read any given pieces of literature for this assignment, Op? If the answer is no, then that is your true problem.
>>
>>16530134
I read most of them, but they didn't stick out to me. I tried again this morning and decided on one. The book's previous owner was kind enough to highlight the important parts of the story for me.
>>
>>16528745
Just start writing somewhere in the middle and figure out how to introduce that thought later.
>>
>>16528787
write a thesis statement then outline some thoughts you have in a bulleted list. From there its just a matter of expanding upon it.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.