[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I failed out of college a few years ago. I'm back in now,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: college.gif (240 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
college.gif
240 KB, 500x750
I failed out of college a few years ago. I'm back in now, but I'm afraid that my bad grades will prevent me from getting into grad school or a good job. I'm so miserable that I wish I'd never been born. Is there any hope left at all?
>>
dealing with something similar from an undx'd medical problem which kept cropping up over and over again
you can only move forward. uni is too highstakes imo: hold onto your inner peace and try not to sweat the stuff you can't control. going back as an older adult my impression has been that these profs dick you around WAY too much. don't be their slave.
cheers.
>>
>>16525809
What are you saying I should do about it?
>>
>>16525819
finish college.
>>
New guy here. I flunked out of community because dick profs, then i cam back and now im failing math and its almost over... just want to say fuck the entire education system, but i feel like ill be a asshole driving some delivery truck if i dont get an undergrad in something... fuckk
>>
File: 1402797912633.jpg (238 KB, 778x842) Image search: [Google]
1402797912633.jpg
238 KB, 778x842
>>16525755
I'm in the same boat but I have a chance to pass my stuff this semester. I don't have much worry about that part of the future, so long as I can at least show a positive progression in grades.

I have little to no self control when it comes to studies, however. I am passing right now.
>>
>>16525840
>because dick profs

Let me fix that:

>"I flunked out of community because I was a piece of shit and didn't do my work"

Take responsibility for your actions.
>>
>>16525755
Hahaha holy fuck dude you're in your 20s now I'd think you'd be a little less of a child at this point hahaha

>oh noes i might not have perfect grades in college
>better kill myself

Life is so much more than just college, and there are so many careers out there that don't require a degree, it's hilarious that the infinite abyss of death seems preferable to you right now.

>life isn't unfolding exactly how i want it to
>i wish i was never born

Hahaha give me a break. Things not working out exactly how you want is the rule, not the exception. Get used to it, this is life.
>>
>>16525937
So what should I do about it?
>>
Consult your career counsellor on this issue, they'll offer better advice than anyone here. For the record, I don't it'll screw you over completely, as I was told by my school that schools focus mostly on recent grades than shitty old ones. Your best bet is to consider the schools/programs you are looking into, and ask the school's student services for their assessment of the situation.

Stop assuming you're fucked and actually do your research before jumping to depressing conclusions.
>>
Copy pasted from my reply in a similar /adv/ thread:

Fuck careers. Society doesn't deserve your contribution, be it filled with drudgery and pity. You are not obligated to work. Stay at home, read, meditate, and learn. Study without the political and financial distractions of college. You'll one day come to find the answers you're searching for.

The more you pay mind to the shaming of others, the less you can become who you want to be.
>>
If you drop out again or you graduate and can't find a good job, maybe it's time to look at apprenticeships and vocational training. It sounds cliche but college isn't for everyone.
>>
>>16526322
How will I get money? How will I pay for food, housing, transportation, etc. not just for myself, but for my future family?
>>16526338
But I WANT college to be for me.
>>
>>16526322
>Stay at home, read, meditate, and learn. Study without the political and financial distractions of college.

Considering OP was negligent and stupid enough to fail out in the first place, it's clear he doesn't have the discipline to educate himself. He's more likely to become a NEET who beats his dick and plays vidya all day by taking your plan.
>>
>>16526346
You sound completely clueless, which is partially why I suggested you become a recluse. The pressure of dealing with the bullshit the world throws at you has made you wish you'd never been born. Watch "It's a Wonderful Life". I really don't know where to begin with you. You want to support a family? Why? Who says raising a family makes you happier than those who don't? Think critically about this.

>>16526343
Then I guess he'll have to succumb to his fate of never being satisfied with his monetary wealth & social standing, as he appears to value it over his own sanity.
>>
>>16526364
OP here. I just want to raise a family. Is that really too much to ask?
>>
>>16526346
But I don't WANT to be like that. I want the peace of mind that comes with knowing that I'm good enough.
>>
>>16526322
>college is too financially stressful
This has to be b8. Yes, OP should just quit college and work a minimum wage job for the rest of their life. Then they can have the financial stress of trying to literally not starve to death, or make the rent check so they don't have to live in a fucking cardboard box under the overpass. And don't forget retirement; once OP's body is too old and tired to work that minimum wage job, then what? People with better jobs than that will probably wind up living in their car and eating catfood as it is.

Construction and trade jobs are fine....until you are 45 and your back and knees are shot. Then you better hope you've developed enough of a clientele with lots of big jobs, so that you can be the contractor and subcontract out all the actual labor and make enough to live.
>>
OP.

I had a 2.8 when I got back into undergrad.

Had a 3.9 major GPA.

Am in my last semester of grad school, already accepted to PhD.

Please. Do not let past failures define you. You can ALWAYS come back from the dead. No one here cares how the fuck I did in undergrad. That's just baby games at this point.
>>
>>16525755
Professor writing here:

Assuming for the sake of argument that you do well this time around, your earlier flunk-out won't hurt you too much. We are used to students who mess up their first year before getting their act together, and tend to write it off as almost normal.

In fact, a story like yours - again assuming you do well now - is an inspiring one. It tells us you've grown up and are more mature, and therefore a good bet for grad school.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.