[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I odd for thinking like this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: bliss.png (11 KB, 301x182) Image search: [Google]
bliss.png
11 KB, 301x182
I'm a Law student in the UK. I know that everyone wants to secure a job after graduation, but I'm pretty much the opposite.
My dream is to be a backpacker and to see the world. Working as an ESL teacher really appeals to me. I know that if I managed to secure a job after graduation, I will be too scared to give it up/the sacrifice of giving up a law job is too big. Nobody will give up a law job and doing so will only make me look like an idiot.
>>
>>16496380
yes
>>
The same idea has come to my mind, don't know if I should do it after I graduate too.
>>
>>16496473
Are you a Law student?
My parents would think of me as nuts and unrealistic if I quit a law job to become a backpacker.
>>
>>16496475
No, I'm not. I'm doing a 3 year licence called "Culture & Média" (I think there's no need to translate). I don't know what to do after this, I mostly did this to not staying at home doing nothing.
I talked my mom about it and she wasn't reluctant to the idea of going abroad but she wasn't pleased either knowing that I didn't wanna stay somewhere specificaly but rather traveling in a nomad way.

I think you should at least talk your parents about it, if their answer is negative, this shouldn't stop you from doing what you really want.
>>
>>16496484
If you first langauge is not English, I think it will be tough for you to find an ESL teacher job.
Yeah, agree. I'm a girl so there are safety issues.
If I end up broke, they will need to pay for my expenses and obviously they don't want that.
>>
Take a break from uni to try it out for a year or a few months. If you get it out of your system then you can come back, pick up your studies, and at some point put teaching languages to kids in other countries on your resume and talk about it in interviews as something that you wanted to do while you were younger and how it helped you grow and find yourself to travel the world and teach others, and any language/communication skills you've gained from having to communicate with locals or hold an ESL job. If it isn't out of your system by then and it's looking livable, go for it. But keep in mind you may want to settle down at some point regardless of how long you live like that.
>>
>>16496380
>My dream is to be a backpacker and to see the world.
you're hardly alone with that dream, every chick i talk to has that dream
why do you think they only do that for a year if ever?
because it's just a way to say "i want to have a year long vacation" but sounding like a pretentious fuck rather than a lazy fuck.
Shit's expensive, and it's usually payed for by daddy or saved up for by working fastfood while dady pays their expenses.
>Working as an ESL teacher really appeals to me
yeah, you really think there's people all over the world offering jobs to everyone just because they speak english? try at least speaking the lokal language fluently.

>I know that if I managed to secure a job after graduation, I will be too scared to give it up/the sacrifice of giving up a law job is too big. Nobody will give up a law job and doing so will only make me look like an idiot.
nope, that actually sounds like a solid plan, chances are you'll only be given a year contract at best so you can save up money and unless they offer you a solid position that you actually like, you can go! even if you get a solid job, just get an unpayed leave. even getting a new job is easyer if you've worked like a year before you've gone on your little trip.

or try to get a job with a company that wants to do bussiness in your country but requires you to be in their place.
>>
>>16496491
As in drop out of Law now? Hell no. My parents will never allow that.
Yeah. I get the settle down bit. But living aboard is still an experience.
>>
>>16496488
Haha, is it really that obvious that English isn't my first language ?
I was more talking about being a backpacker and doing some random jobs to not end up broke.

>>16496495
You should definitely stay until you graduate. But can't you take a break after that and maybe get a law job after traveling for a year or so ?
>>
>>16496492
>given a year contract at best
They may renew my contract though
I had a gap year before going to uni so I have some money saved up. How much saving is needed before travelling?
>>
>>16496499
The name of your license is not in English.
I may end up broke though. My parents will not like that.
I don't know what the employers will think about a year of travelling.
>>
>>16496504
Oops, I already forgot I talked about it !

I think it would be a great thing to talk about during your job interview, it will show your independance. I don't see why it would be taken negatively !
>>
>>16496495
Not right now, between years. But if you want to wait until after graduation, that's fine too. But then you have to make sure that you're personable enough that the gap you have doesn't deter prospective employers.
>>
>>16496525
>doesn't deter prospective employers
It may though.
>>
>>16496525
Ummmm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1540367/Gap-year-graduates-are-facing-a-career-crisis.html
>>
>>16496380
you are just leeching off you parents as you backpack, that is all
>>
Well you can finish your study and after that do the backpacking thing for a while and after a time start a law related job.
>>
>>16496688
Is it very tough though as suggested by >>16496546
?
>>
>>16496697
I don't know i also heard stuff about how employers prefer people who took a gap year(of actually doing) things.
>>
>>16497034
really?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.