[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old fags, what kind of life advices you'd give to the youth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 99993.png (716 KB, 521x705) Image search: [Google]
99993.png
716 KB, 521x705
The title says it all. Share things that life has taught you, wisdom you have gathered or basically what ever which is related to the topic.
>>
>>16488857
>>16488857
People are shit
People are great
Women are terrible
Men too
Both are also really great
The world is both a beautiful place and a living hell
Don't pet strangers
Don't talk to dogs
Eat food
Hydrate and dehydrate
Imbibe
Don't procreate, or do but you probably shouldn't
God and Science are the same thing
>>
>>16488857
No matter what you do, she'll leave you.
>>
>>16488899
pro tip : she can also leave you by dying.
>>
Life is basically you having to do shit you dont want to do. Lol. But theres good shit too dawg
>>
Learn to extract value from the things you do. Don't be afraid of failure, the most important lessons in life comes from failing and fucking up.

You ever see which group of kids that fuck up the most? It's the kids of rich parents, because they can afford to fuck up so they do lots of crazy shit, and they learn immensely valuable lessons from it.

Don't worry about not being born into greater chances, people that have to work for something value it more than the ones that have it handed to them.

Never settle for a job that is just earning you money so you can do what you really want to do. You will be spending most of your time wasted. Instead learn to extract from any situation you are in links to your interests at large, even if the job seems meaningless and dull, find some aspects of it that you can relate to what you really love doing.

Learn to love your ideas and impulses, learn how to let the ideas flow into each other, don't dismiss them.

Find your inner guiding voice, whether it is a voice that tells you what not to do or where to explore, find it and value it.
>>
oldfag here.

i will take OP's question at face value, and give a serious response, even though most have heard it on tv many times.

if you've never used drugs, don't start. i have watched as friends and neighbors have gotten hooked. and it didn't end well, at least for one of them.

could i have done more? probably. but i didn't.
and it's no fun having that question gnawing at me for the rest of my life.

so give your friends a break. if you've never used drugs.........don't start.
>>
Don't try to fit in because you'll just end up being miserable. Focus your energy on your studies and be constructive.
>>
30 year I qualify as an oldfag here

Don't waste your life, have friends and take your chances with women. Don't let your shyness or your low confidence ruin your life

Just don't become a miserable fuck like I am posting in 4chan threads
>>
>>16488892
>>16488899
>>16488901
>>16488902

Best thread in a while.
>>
>>16488857
Confidence is not knowing you will not succeed but rather knowing that if you fail you will be okay.
>>
>>16488857
Living well is the best revenge.

- the most productive response to any insult, slight or injury is to carry on despite it, proving in your success and happiness that the other person is powerless to harm you.
>>
File: 1380145648352.jpg (89 KB, 640x458) Image search: [Google]
1380145648352.jpg
89 KB, 640x458
If you're in a job where you are treated very poorly, quit. I mean poorly as in disrespected. If you hate going in to work each day, quit. I've had such jobs and looking back I regret not gtfo as soon as I realized shit was and that it wouldn't improve.

Sooner or later your close friends will do something that betrays and offends the shit out of you. You'll have to decide what you're willing to forgive and you may want to spend some time thinking about it before it happens so you're a little bit ready for it.

I've never seen a friend who was cheating on their partner get away with it. The longest one got away with it was 4 years but eventually both girls dumped him in the same week. I lol'd in his face and it felt good. So don't cheat. If you want new puss, dump your current first. Have some dignity and also avoid all the liabilities that go with an affair.

Never buy a new product in its first year or two of release. Especially electronics and cars.
>>
File: 1443373488869.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443373488869.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
These threads make me anxious because i always read stuff like "Dont be afraid to fail. Have friends. Tell her how you feel." and i know im not gonna do any of that.
It makes me aware of how my future will be bitter and full of regrets
>>
Cultivate dignity and selfrespect. Everything else is just a side effect of that. Like picking the right job or partner, or walk away from the wrong ones. Or treating your body right. Or stop giving a fuck about what others think, in the right way. Really work on getting your selfesteem up. No matter how low it is, every little step is an improvement and will change your life for the better.
>>
File: 385601.jpg (964 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
385601.jpg
964 KB, 1600x1200
Im only 24 but I feel like I can weigh in.

Never sell yourself short of something you can do. This can apply to literally anything. you may not be able to change or improve drastically in a day, a month, or even a year. But over a few years you can make VERY big changes.

I remember when i was 19-21 I applied to a ton of jobs in my little shit-end town, and got nothing. My dad had died when I was 18 and i was severely disillusioned with life. I thought I was scum that would never achieve anything. I had no skills, no income. I used to spend most of a day worrying about how I was going to move out on my own and actually support myself, let alone a family I wanted to have. I spent well over 2 years feeling like this, I even contemplated suicide a few times.

Fast forward to today. I live in a house now with my bestfriend I met in highschool. I'm a handyman that responds to calls to fix things in a townhouse-villa of over 140 units. I own a car now, and have 2k sitting in the bank just from budgeting over only 5 months, and I don't even make very much yet.

I went from believing I wasn't even capable of working at Mcdonalds, to being emergency called to a house that has the entire plumbing system dumping water in all directions, through floors, and ceilings. And knowing how to fix the issue in a timely manner.

I got to where I am by slowly clawing my way up through shit jobs and minimum wage to now. I did it, you can do it as well. Never sell yourself short, miracles can happen in a relatively short amount of time.
>>
Your quality of life is dictated in most part by your attitude
>>
36 here.best advice I can give is don't sweat the small stuff.everuthing.every problem.in the end its small stuff.live your life the nest you can and be happy.
>>
>>16489078
>If you're in a job where you are treated very poorly, quit.

But don't quit before you have another job lined up.

The only benefit that matters is your pay. Don't be afraid to job hop every 1-2 years to make more money.

Learn to save money and know how various investments work. $200 a month into a mutual fund with an average return of 7% gives you a bit over $100k in 20 years. 2-3k in cash in a bank account gives you a cushion to weather emergencies.
>>
I'm not an oldfag. I'm only 22, but I've been around a lot compared to many of my peers. I've seen death first-hand, I've buried loved ones, I've abandoned all of my belongings and all of my friends more than once, I've loved and lost, I began supporting myself and ran away from home as a minor, and I've traveled quite a bit. I think I've got a little to say.

>Being a noble person isn't a simple or easy thing. In real life, the right thing is often at odds with what established order says, with what's easy, with what's beneficial to you, and with what the whole world wants you to do. It's often punished, if it's not disregarded completely. It's not what you're taught, and it isn't always what comes naturally. Always do the right thing anyway.
>If you want to be treated like an exception, be exceptional. Don't abuse it or be obnoxious or test people's patience, but you can in fact get away with special treatment and have a different standard applied to you if you earn it. Be worth it. Stand out. Be the exception you want to be treated as.
>Love isn't just an emotion. That warm, hot-pink, electric, fuzzy feeling you get in your chest for somebody isn't love. Sexual attraction isn't love. Butterflies aren't love. Those will fade with familiarity, and they stop inspiring noble action pretty quickly. Love is an active doing and an active appreciation. Love is that warm familiarity with the choice to act lovingly towards somebody. It's something you choose every day.
>Love isn't always good or praiseworthy. It can inspire people to do drastic and crazy things, and it can bring about hurt, and still be no less true.
>If you want to be a successful stoner and an academic, you need to get the phrase "Too stoned to go to class" out of your vocabulary. GO TO CLASS. DO YOUR WORK.
>Be accountable to the man in the mirror.
>Ties of blood and convention aren't always what matters. People who truly resonate and share things with you are rare and can be anybody.
>>
>>16489374
>True strength isn't just brawn. True strength is being able to do the things that are truly HARD. There are plenty of macho assholes who wouldn't be able to do those things. True strength is being able to lose somebody close to you and still stay strong so that you can support people around you who are hurting, even when you're hurting more than they are. True strength is being able to turn your heart to ice and keep going. True strength is the strength to carry or bury the people who support you without crumbling.
>Everything in your life ought to serve you, and not the other way around. And believe it or not, you probably don't need it.
>The human condition dictates sacrifice, and nothing good ever came about without suffering.
>Being sad or hurt is not a disease. "Negative" emotions like sorrow and grief and anger aren't bad. They're a beautiful and necessary part of the experience of being alive. Sure, you're not supposed to feel like crap ALL the time, but realistically, even a life that's mostly blue and full of hurt and tears is worth it if those are punctuated by laughter and meaning. You're not supposed to feel overjoyed 24/7.
>Depression is not just being sad. It's a kind of numbness and emptiness that can't even properly be described, and it makes tears and hurt seem all the more precious for your ability to feel them. People seek out stories and media that make them feel sad and angry and fearful for a reason.
>Nothing is worth your soul or your manhood.
>Who you are in the dark, when nobody is watching, is the only real you there is.
>>
30 y/o married LEO homeowner reporting

First some personal rules I try to live by.

Life Rule - "Should" and "Are" are two entirely different things. This applies to a remarkable amount of things in life, not just social justice thinking.

Life Rule - Should've, Would've, Could've. (SWC) It's already done. Deal with where you are now.

Life Rule - Opportunity is always knocking, but it's hard to hear it over all the background noise and you might not realize it until years later. Accept that instead of mourning it. This goes hand in hand with SWC.

On Marriage - Marry someone for their values. If you can't agree on something more often than not, you're going to be in for a rough road. Also, trust is an absolute necessity.

Be true to your word. A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. It takes time and effort to cultivate that. What you say is important to people, but talk is worthless if your actions don't back it. Respect is valuable, ESPECIALLY to people who have nothing else.

While honesty isn't always the best policy in terms of social interaction, it sure is plenty easier to keep track of than maintaining a lie.

Buy once, cry once. If it's an item or service you're going to constantly make use of (car repairs, major appliances, etc) don't go cheap. Save your pennies and do your research to find the best bang for your buck. If that means skipping that night out, do it. You'll be thankful in the long run.

Never stop learning. Knowledge, properly applied, really is power. It's simply a matter of fitting that knowledge in to the appropriate situation.

There are some things I want to say about drugs, but lots of it is situational. I will say there have seen plenty of lives ruined by them and I don't just mean the life of the individual taking them. If you do them, that's your choice, but understand the potential consequences and weigh them against what you get out of it.
>>
That fact that oldfags here are in the age range of 23-35... I mean, this is a unique generation in this world isn't?
>>
>>16489374
>>16489391
Damn dude, it does sounds like you went through a shit load of shit.
>>
File: 1445097235274.gif (2 MB, 299x303) Image search: [Google]
1445097235274.gif
2 MB, 299x303
The happiest I ever am is when I do things for others and see the people I've helped change, grow, or be genuinely grateful for what I did.

It's better than a new apartment (just moved in this week), new PC, new motorcycle, or sex (got laid off tinder on Friday, shit was so empty)

My whole life I've been depressed and melancholic, despite coming from a well-off family. Never struggled, never suffered, and yet life from a very young age seemed so devoid of meaning, so bleak, so pointless. I've been on all sorts of meds for anxiety, bipolar, and depression, but the only thing that's ever given me true contentment is doing for others and expecting nothing back.

I recommend it to anyone. Service clubs at school, on meetup sites, or even through a church. Give it time and you'll start to change and grow too.
>>
File: 1344532002488.jpg (97 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1344532002488.jpg
97 KB, 400x400
>>16489516

I posted this >>16489060 and I'm 43.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.