[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing a resume and cover letter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1b25e7252a967b9d.jpg (54 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1b25e7252a967b9d.jpg
54 KB, 500x667
20 year old anon here. Zero experience in employment. What do?
>>
File: 1445867658722.jpg (77 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445867658722.jpg
77 KB, 640x480
>>16487962
lift and be yourself
>>
I can post you my cover letter that has gotten me a few interviews at decent entry-level positions while I'm in school, if you'd like.

Maybe other folks can tell you if its good or not.

Useful?
>>
>>16487962

Depends on what you want to do. What did you have in mind?
>>
dont give up, literally apply whereever you might just end up speaking directly to someone who will hire you if you go in and drop off your resume (happened to me - no experience), but I got fired three weeks later

the second job i got (im 20 now too) I flexed a reference from a star employee at some restaurant ( Its my brothers friend- not even mine)
>>
File: cover letter 4chan redaction.png (33 KB, 960x622) Image search: [Google]
cover letter 4chan redaction.png
33 KB, 960x622
>>16487994
I'll just go ahead and post it. As long as my next interview goes well in a couple days, I'll have a better-paying job while I finish out that undergrad.

Ya'll should make it clear if this shit sucks. I don't want homeboy here trying to emulate a shitty cover letter.

And yeah I'm a huge cunt for majoring in pseudoscience. Sure can't wait for grad school!
>>
>>16488015

That is probably reasonably good for a hotel-class position. Seems like usually you want real strong shit for the cover letter, so the first content paragraph is good (assuming you're looking at a different hotel-class position), while the other two are not-related and less-related, respectively. I am probably not in a good position to be critiquing cover letters, though.

Beyond all that, I'm wondering if a cover letter is actually required for the OP. Maybe I've missed out on them somehow, but it seems like relatively few applications actually asked for one. And it's kind of ridiculous to be making a cover letter for an application to be the night janitor for Target.
>>
>>16488051
This cover letter was mostly used for what I'd call the higher-tier of entry level jobs. I'm in an area with low cost-of-living and low wages alike, so this would be around $10-14/hr jobs like administrative assistants.

I got several interviews, although I fucked up the one I wanted to succeed in the most. The others I simply had to commute too far from my rural home to the city to warrant the pay increase.

For my current job, I didn't need a cover letter. I went through about 7-8 interviews before this one, and not a single one with a cover letter. And this job is about as entry-level as you can get.

I have woefully little real valuable training, so I had to unfortunately fill it with moderately unrelated shit and embellishment of admittedly meager accomplishments.

I'm certainly making an effort to fill it with internships and projects before I finish college. My last stint resulted in good grades for the most part, but absolutely nothing outside of class.
>>
>>16488015
Not the worst cover letter I've read but you talk about yourself too much, not enough about the company

It's fine to sell yourself in your cover letter but you should also say how you can contribute to the company

never use an exclamation mark, wtf
>>
>>16488136
>Not the worst cover letter I've read but you talk about yourself too much, not enough about the company

I agree completely. I was lazy as fuck and already-employed, just lackadaisically trying to get a better-paying gig. Admittedly, all I did was change out 3-4 phrases between jobs I was applying for.

>never use an exclamation mark, wtf

...Yeah. No excuse there. I've read too much fiction throughout my life so I tend to write long-windedly without good reason and use improper diction/punctuation for professional writing.
>>
>>16487962
Use a skills-based resume - google the phrase for examples and advice
>>
>>16487962
Apply for jobs?
I got three jobs with minimal experience
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.