[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can you tell if you're narcissistic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 533x800
how can you tell if you're narcissistic?
>>
You make more than one thread on the same topic on /adv/ per day
>>
>>16487229
that ain't me family
>>
>>16487209

Sorry is that picture real?
>>
Is it narcissism when you truly are great?
>>
>>16487209

Narcissistic people obviously don't think that they are narcissistic.
>>
>>16487209
go look in the catalogue for the other "narcissist" thread
>>
>>16487238
No
>>
Whenever there's an opportunity to see my reflection I do it. Am I narcissistic?
>>
>>16487420
i can't find it
can you link me?
>>
>>16488212
i can't make it past any mirror in my house without checkin myself out
>>
>>16487239
Not necessarily. You can be truly great and be narcissistic. You could also be the biggest loser on the planet and be a narcissist.
>>
I'm a narcissist. Wanna know how I know?

I always believe I'm the most attractive man in the room. I admire my reflection often. I revel in the affection & affection I receive from others, while ignoring or rationalizing all else. I torment myself emotionally for not doing something right.

The funniest part is, we all do those things.
>>
>>16487209
My mum's a narcissist. But a malignant narcissist.

>looks at herself in mirror constantly
>is 51, looks under 40, dresses like she's 20
>has to out-do everyone around her
>denies everything when she is/was wrong
>gaslights constantly
>martyrs herself (always acts like her intentions were heaven sent, when its actually just her manipulating to get people to do what she wants or to have sympathy for her)

Then to get into the more abusive traits of malignant narcissism
>would make fun of my sister (her own daughter) for being overweight since my sister was about 9 years old
>told me she was jealous of me since we started puberty, she said she saw her older male friends look at me (started when I was 12) like rather than recognizing they were creeps, or to be protective, the first thing she felt was jealousy?
>when i was 18, she said i wasn't her mom anymore and we were just friends. She gave this weird speech on how she dedicated her entire life to parenthood and now that her job was done, she will valiantly be my "good friend" and I can now call her by her first name instead of mom.
>when i was really young, I had really bad separation anxiety. My mom would tell me she was leaving to go do fun stuff and I couldn't come with her. I'd have a total meltdown and start crying and begging her not to go. She seemed to enjoy it. She'd just walk around the house, getting ready, and I would sit on the floor and cry next to her, and tell her I loved her and begged her not to leave without me. I'm a parent now and she tries to do this shit with my nieces too. Then she uses it as an excuse to say my brother is not a good parent because my niece misses her more. When she's just manipulating a child into missing her. Like, if you tell a child you're not taking them somewhere fun, they will freak out no matter who it is.

A lot of people think narcissists are so narcissistic that they have super high confidence. I think deep down, my mother is very insecure.
>>
>>16488300
im an aunt** now
>>
>>16488300
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. Things going better for you these days?
>>
>>16488320
We keep conversation light. She claims she doesn't remember her "I'm your friend, not your mom" speech. That was over 5 years ago though. Playing dumb to mean things she said is part of her martyring tactics though.

The best thing I can do for myself is stroke her ego enough to keep her docile. but keep distance enough to not get too involved with her
>>
>>16488300
>>16488329

Your mother sounds really fucked up, i hope you'll keep your kids away from her.
>>
File: 1437562949046.jpg (32 KB, 480x531) Image search: [Google]
1437562949046.jpg
32 KB, 480x531
>>16487238
yeah man
kit harrington was originally supposed to play tyrion but he was too short for the role
>>
>>16488576
That is what narcissism is. Not only is it an obsession with the self (because to a degree, that is very normal), it is the dire need to be in control, in charge, and better than everyone around you, and to hear/feel that confirmation. When they do not get their way, they will manipulate to get it. To a narcissistic person, no one is excused from their goal. Not the narcissist's kids, not their partner, no one.

My examples were just the tip of the fucking ice berg with my mom. I can recall several strange, manipulative, and emotionally abusive things she did all throughout my life.

When I was a young child, my mom was a lot nicer to me. Later she told me it was because I was cute and looked like her, when my sister looked like my dad. My dad confirmed this behavior too. He said he couldn't stand the way my mom treated her, and he knew it was because she looked like him, not her. Narcissist parents usually target one sibling. My sister was my mom's black sheep for most early childhood.

When I was a teen, I became very rebellious because I was so frustrated with her, she stopped liking me around there and started bonding with my sister constantly to hurt my feelings, but my sister was on the backburner before me, my mom doing the same to her. But when I was 13, she accused me of being on meth. I barely even understand why or how this came up. I was late coming home from school, and she thought it was because I was on drugs. A loaded question, but I didn't even know what meth was, let alone how to obtain it. I said "No?" she goes "Yea, you would lie about it." She convinced my family I was on drugs (told coworkers, my friend's parents, our local church to do a prayer for me?) She did not let me leave the house alone until well into high school.

It's weird writing it now. These experiences seem so normal. I wish I didn't grow up with this person. I fear someday being liker her.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.