[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can't afford Christmas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1447873393576.jpg (23 KB, 611x581) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447873393576.jpg
23 KB, 611x581
My bf and I live together. We both work full time. I pay nearly all of the bills. Car insurance, gas, rent, utilities, and some food. After all of that, I usually only have around 20 dollars to myself, which I usually end up spending on food when my bf asks me to get dinner for him since be works late nights.
His paychecks go a little to food, and then mostly for stuff that we may need like oil changes, stuff around the house, etc. But its not much. His leftover money he likes to splurge. He is super bad at saving money.
Because of all the bills I pay, I dont have money to buy him gifts for Christmas. He talks about all the stuff he's going to buy me or us for Christmas, but I can't afford to buy anything because I pay the bills.
Is it acceptable to not want to celebrate Christmas for this reason?

Tldr;
> pay all bills of bf and i
> he buys food and stuff we need, then splurge
> he's bad at saving money
> I cannot afford to buy him Christmas presents
> since I pay all the bills, acceptable to not want christmas?
>>
>>16483101
I wouldn't give a fuck but this is something you need to talk with about your boyfriend, OP.
>>
You could do something like make him a nice dinner and then give him some pampering and a thorough sexing. Or find something really fun the two of you can do together.You don't need to spend money to give someone a nice gift. If I don't know what to do for my husband's birthday I spend the day making him his favorite meal (which is something that's hard for him to get regularly). It never goes awry.
>>
There is no such thing as not being able to afford Christmas.
Ever since I was a little kid what I liked about Christmas was the atmosphere. I never got any presents or anything like that because my family was poor.
All you have to do on Christmas is talk about it with your boyfriend and spend quality time together. Just think about it, getting like a 1000 buck PC for Christmas would be pretty nice, but what is better, a PC or a person that you love?
>>
I don't understand why this isn't something you've already discussed with your bf
>>
>>16483149
>>16483128
I have discussed it with my bf. He says that it's okay that I don't get him anything. That all he wants is me and sex. But I'll feel bad if be still gets me stuff. Even if I tell him not to, he still will.
>>
>>16483154
>All he wants is sex
Welp, atleast hes honest with himself.
>>
>>16483154
That's ok.
Seems like you have everything figured out except you don't know what to give him for Christmas.
He's going to give you something inexpensive with sentimental value for Christmas. If you don't want to feel like he is giving you something and you are giving nothing back you need to find a cheap present with sentimental value.
To me a girl caring enough to try and surprise me would be enough, life if you made a painting or wrote some silly card. It's cute and it shows that you care.
>>
>>16483176
Do you think taking him out to a nice dinner by saving a little money here and there would be good? He loves food, and I could make it romantic.
>>
Sit and have a talk with him. Maybe you both can buy a gift you two end up using. Or try a walk away, do something different for the night.

There are different ways to celebrate it, just dont go to the consumerism rout.
>>
>>16483185
Taking him for a dinner sounds fine, but since you are poor I think making a good meal instead would be better.
Your idea is fine, but what I am thinking is picking up cooking. You will not only make a good meal for him, but it will show that you are going be better at making food in the future. That's not only a Christmas gift, that's a gift for live. If you cooked all your meals you could save so much money.
>>
>>16483101
>like oil changes
I don't understand. Do you guys make like less than minimum wage? Oil changes are like $35-40 or something at the lube place and like $25 if you do it yourself. And do you drive over 15,000 miles a year? I mean you just need to change it once every 5,000 miles or so... What I'm getting at is that's like a ~$100/year on oil changes unless you drive a fuck ton.

I think both of you need to learn how to manage money better,or get better jobs, if something like that is an issue. Just sayin'...

Anyway, you can't afford anything for Christmas. That's fine. Be thankful for the roof over your head, the fact that you have transportation, cell phones, and other luxuries in your life. Not to mention you have each other.
>>
>>16483203
It was just an example of what he does with his money. Oil changes, stuff for the house, tires for the cars, etc. I recently needed a new windshield for example. That's something he bought.
We make above minimum wage but we so drive a lot for work. We live out in the country, the nearest town is an hour away. And our jobs require us to drive as well.
>>
>>16483101
Can you sew/knit/crochet? Even if not, you can learn in a couple of hours and then make him something.

Can you cook/bake? Give him gift certificates each good for his favorite m>>16483101
eal or cake to be made for him on demand all through the year.
>>
>>16483194

This.

A well-done dinner would be superb and you'll gain a useful skill. After picking up cooking I basically spoil my roomies and gf with nice dinners, etc. It kinda became addicting since finding new dishes or recipes is exciting.
>>
>>16483101
...You haven't considered splitting the rent/bills before now?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.