[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to learn a language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What is the best way to learn a language?
>>
>>16478216
duolingo combined with classes
>>
Go to roma and lick the statue of the god of linguistics
>>
An SRS for vocabulary, combined with a structured course like a book series with audio. Then mass consume content and read your ass off and communicate with natives as much as possible.

>>16478217
Classes will slow you down to a snails pace and duolingo is basically the same as any regular online course or book series or audio series but absolutely barebones and full of "gameified" fluff that does nothing to help you learn. It's pace is also glacial and the "insane pace" being 20 minutes a day is telling for how seriously the average user on there actually gives a shit about studying.
>>
>>16478275
Sorry, but what is SRS
>>
>>16478216 flash cards. And repetition. Write on a notebook words and their meaning in you language. If possible add synonyms to that word so you'll have a wider understanding
>>
>>16478279
Use the app called memrise and search for some language courses. It is an SRS app.
>>
DO NOT STICK WITH ONLY ONE RESOURCE

Going from there: grind vocab. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting a firm grasp on the grammar. Try to not bring in comparisons from English/your mother tongue; learn by using the new language only if at all possible. Read a lot, watch a lot of films in the language, WRITE A LOT. I keep being lazy on the writing portion and have absolute shit production skills despite being about a year into my self study.

Practice every single day. Little things like saying "I will make breakfast" in the language while making breakfast is a simple type of thing you can add to your day that will help.

>>16478801
If you don't want to pay for memrise (the free version only gives you 30 words per month iirc) then get anki. It's open-source and has ten trillion things on it it seems.
>>
>>16478824
Anon I use the memrise app the only difference between the pro version and the regular is that the pro has a practice difficult words feature and a few other things that is it. Everything else does not have a 30 word limit. Anki is good but it requires the user to make the effort to download the card pack instead of it being like memrise and having thousands of different courses with their own cards set up for you. Both Anki and Memrise are the best SRS apps out there currently op or anyone else can not go wrong with either. I would say try both and see what you go with.
>>
>>16478869
Really? I have the free version and it said I can get the premium and do more words. I'll have to look more into it. It does go way too slow for me; learning how to say "Apple" every single say is annoying.
>>
>>16478869 I use anki for learning Chinese. I think is good. I see the character, write it repetitively and try to guess next time. I will try Memrise to see how it is. Maybe it could be better idk.

Few tipa like: have a notebook to write doubts and write sentences, put a post-it on furniture on that language. Got any more?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.