[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I make being an artist into a career? I already live in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Should I make being an artist into a career? I already live in nyc and have been told by many teachers I have a unique style. I have been visiting museums a lot already studying different artworks. I believe I can do it and want to follow my dreams but some advice from artists and non-artists would help a lot. Thanks. :)
>>
>>16465554
>have been told by many teachers I have a unique style
That's their way of saying you're shit without actually saying you're shit
>>
Also what hardships did any artists face?
>>
>>16465562
I've also been told I have very good technical skill.Being original And unique is better than being technically skilled imo. I not saying technical skill is not a bad thing tho.
>>
>>16465554
>artist into a career?

not if you want to do things like eat food, wear clean clothes, sleep in a warm dry bed at nite

keep your day job for $$ and do art as a hobby

when you get good enough your stuff is actually selling so fast people keep asking for more then you can think about full-time artist

get a clue

there are zillions of artists in all fields and maybe 1 out of every million actually makes $$
>>
>>16465577
Thanks for the input dude
>>
>>16465573

Unless these people are professional artists, college professors, or extremely rich people, take their opinions with a grain of salt.
>>
>>16465554
Study the basics.
>>
>>16465554
>Should I make being an artist into a career?
Go for it--but be certain that you have a Plan B to fall back on.
>>
File: damien-hirst-shark-1.jpg (86 KB, 635x476) Image search: [Google]
damien-hirst-shark-1.jpg
86 KB, 635x476
Isn't it funny that a hack like Hirst can be considered an "artist" by pickling dead animals, while scores with actual talent starve? This fucker is worth hundreds of millions of dollars from this garbage. It's like winning the lottery to wear the Emperor's New Clothes of the art world though.
>>
>>16465623
I'm in college right now and I'm undecided so idk if I should be art major or something with more security to fall back on.
>>
>>16465654
In the art world it's doesn't matter if ur good at doing something that some else already did. U have to be original. I see so many artist who can draw much more resistive than me but there art lacks life cuz all they draw is celebrities. They have the talent and technical skill but not the creativity.
>>
Btw is anyone here a pro artist?
>>
>>16465654
>This fucker is worth hundreds of millions of dollars from this garbage
Those high value art transactions are all about money laundering. You have a product that cost a few thousand to produce being sold for multiple millions by an anonymous vendor to an anonymous purchaser. If I try to sell you a bottle of coke for $5M it's pretty obvious where the placement is happening, but it's very difficult for the police to show up and say "well that watercolour of an erect penis is only worth $50, not $6M.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.