[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm drunk as fuck. I'm a clinical psychologist. Ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: photo.png (3 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
3 MB, 1632x1224
I'm drunk as fuck. I'm a clinical psychologist. Ask me things.

>no dream interpretation
>if you're suicidal call 911
>if you don't ask a question I'm not answering
>I'm here till I go
>pic related because America
>>
I have a lot of health problems that make me feel like I am a burden on my love ones. I am always working hard to be independent but I never am.
>>
>>16463702
Is it hard to imagine that this shit is like Jeopardy?
>>
>>16463708
What?
>>
>>16463710
Questions, do you have them?
>>
>>16463711
How did you manage to be a pyscholigist?
>>
Goddamn my wife has Project Runway on and this this motherfucking "sustainable fashion artist" has zero resiliency.
>>
I hear voices/sounds while daydreaming just before I fall asleep. Is that normal?
>>
>>16463695
Every time I get feelings for somebody I quickly become very withdrawn and depressed. Gaining emotional feelings for somebody causes me to feel urges to cut myself and want to kill myself. Not being particularly in love right now, I understand how strange it is but I dont think its weird when I do it. Is there a reason for any of this?
>>
How's your love life psych anon?
>>
>>16463716
Four years of undergrad, five years of graduate school, a year of post doc, studying for the EPPP, stubbornness, and the vine of Dionysus.

Also, I'm pretty damned empathic when I'm sober. I'm not sober now. I'm probably still fairly insightful, but my own bullshit is likely to come out and I'm both somewhat depressed and highly oppositional. Also, it seems, in a mood for self-disclosure.

My captcha said "Select all food" and then showed me a bunch of pictures of dogs. Either its racist or I am.
>>
Someone I love a lot has hurt me (emotionally) pretty badly in the past. Multiple times in different ways. We've talked about it before, dealt with apologies and forgiveness. I don't harbor any animosity over it. But I still have scars from it. It still hurts and I find it hard to reconcile in my head that this person who means so much to me could disregard my own well being so extensively. How do I accept and move past this so it no longer resurfaces periodically?
>>
>>16463722
Normal? Not exactly. Concerning? Not really.

The words you're looking for are hypnogogic hallucinations.

>>16463725
Probably. I'd need a lot more background for a responsible diagnosis. But...I'm drunk and we're on 4chan so I'm going to take a stab in the dark and ask you to go into therapy and talk about who fucked you. My second guess is severe attachment issues but they would probably involve abuse, too.

Either way, you gotta wonder why feeling strongly about someone demands an immediate physical punishment...

>>16463728
Been married for ten years, with my wife a hell of a lot longer than that.
>>
>>16463737
>I don't harbor any animosity over it.

That raises some questions.

>How do I accept and move past this so it no longer resurfaces periodically?

You fucking leave them. Once is a point, twice is a line, three times is a trend.

Stop being a punching bag, even if you're a total piece of shit you deserve better.
>>
>>16463739
>Been married for ten years
Aw, can you tell us more about that?
>>
I have selective mutism. I'm perfectly fine and normie around all my coworkers, even random strangers I'll be able to talk to. But around my family I go full autistic and can barely make a conservation with them. I also get panic attacks if my parents ask me about my social life for some reason. I'm in my 20's and want to get a life, but I can't have friends around my parents without extreme anxiety. Help.
>>
>>16463739
Alright, I'm dealing with a bad breakup. I just recently started noticing that it started happening when the relationship ended. Maybe it's just my body/mind coping with the stress?
>>
I struggled with an eating disorder for 6 years. I never received treatment and recently it just kind of went away. Just got out of a manipulative relationship. I'm moving to another state in two weeks. Been having disordered thoughts and eating less and less daily. I've been trying to put my focus more into working and doing more important things, but it doesn't go away. Don't want to see anyone about it or tell a soul that I'm struggling again. How do I stop this on my own again? I'd done it before; just don't remember how.
>>
>>16463729

>Four years of undergrad, five years of graduate school, a year of post doc

Why is it always retards who try to play pretend on /adv/?
>>
How do i tell the right moment to sleep with somebody for the first time? I always rushed in, but i don't want to ruin it this time.
>>
>>16463743
I'm not sure what you mean by raising questions.
>You fucking leave them.
No. The person in question is seeking help for their current issues and has made amends with me for any recent problems. But most of it is stuff long in the past to begin with that has been addressed and fixed, we're not the same people we were ten years ago, for instance. The issue lies with me moving on. And even if I did cut ties with this person I would still have to move on from these things independently of that.

I want to know how to do that.
>>
I think I've been depressed for a long time, but I don't want to self-diagnose, and I feel guilty, or I hold myself back whenever I want to talk to someone about how I feel. I also avoid relationships of any kind because I don't want to pass the negativity onto other people. When it comes to fantasizing about being in a relationship of any kind, I try to avoid those thoughts because I feel guilty thinking about them.

Whether or not it is depression, I feel like a subhuman and a blank slate. I enjoy helping other people, but I feel that's all I can do. I have very few goals for myself, but I believe most of my existence should be dedicated to helping others. It also feels like my feelings and actions are not produced by myself, but rather formed by what people want from me. I can't tell if I'm genuine or if I'm pretending sometimes.

What would you call this, and how can I fix myself?

Sorry for the long read btw.
>>
>>16463748
Met Freshman year of high school, had an abortive attempt at dating Sophomore year, started actually dating the summer after Sophomore year after I scared the shit out of her boyfriend, went to college together, got married right after college. It works for us. We're radically different people. We're really different, we compliment one another, she's not a dick.

>>16463751
I've got some theories, but not the background for them to be worth voicing. Procure therapy, don't bring friends around the house, pursue a social life, AVOID THE SUBJECT WITH PARENTS.
>>
>>16463695
Do you feel like you're loosing it yourself when you hear everyones problems?
>>
File: license.jpg (376 KB, 1239x1614) Image search: [Google]
license.jpg
376 KB, 1239x1614
>>16463767
None of those are good signs. They're also not gonna get solved by a drunk shrink at a distance. Find a good therapist.

>>16463773

>How do I stop this on my own again? I'd done it before; just don't remember how.
Seems a bind, doesn't it?

>>16463776
k

pic related, but you probably won't believe it

>>16463778
>No.
Do what you want. History doesn't seem to be in your favor, though.
> The person in question is seeking help for their current issues and has made amends with me for any recent problems.
Forgiveness isn't divine, its masochism.

>And even if I did cut ties with this person I would still have to move on from these things independently of that.

So is this a larger pattern of behavior or is it just with this person?

Why aren't you worth being treated better in the first place?

>>16463780
Its not a long read. It sounds like depression. You should probably find a therapist, there aren't any people out there who can treat themselves. Hell, I'm in therapy (for depression, fuck touching the oppositionality.)
>>
>>16463794
Nah. I used to work with long term schizophrenics in a residential setting and had really good supervision. I have decent coping skills and can compartmentalize like a motherfucker because of my family of origin.

I also have a nice New Glarus Apple Ale. That helps.
>>
>>16463802
Depression anon here. Shit. Therapy's expensive, but I guess I'll look into it.

Thank you for the reply. Hope all goes well for you too.
>>
>>16463817
It is expensive, but a lot of us have sliding scales, all insurance covers us to some degree, and its worth it. I'm going out of pocket for my own therapy.
>>
>>16463802
Well, I've blacked out most of my relationship with said manipulator. I 'recovered' on my own during a time I can't even remember. Should've mentioned it, apologies. I'm exhausted. Just don't wanna make myself sick again. I've been doing very well and eating regularly up to this point. Each day I find myself becoming slightly more obsessed with food or body image. Gotta stop this before it begins to interfere with daily life.
>>
>>16463822
And I want to stop. It's only so difficult because I've dealt with it for so long. Sometimes it feels like I'll never stop.
>>
File: 1382914572258.gif (495 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1382914572258.gif
495 KB, 500x375
I have anxiety and confidence issues.

I feel this is VERY much cognitive for sure. I'm on meds and it's helped. Also therapy which is good too.

How do I "trick" myself cognitively?
>>
how do i stop dating men who are like my dad

i've realized that i tend to date men who are emotionally stunted manchildren and they either refuse to commit or are super clingy

some background- my dad left the family when i was 4 to have an affair with my mom's best friend, he's been sporadically involved in my life since i was 12. we have a better relationship now than we ever have before but we're still not super close

so how do i stop? is it something i'm doing/putting out there? is it self sabotage? am i just settling for losers?
>>
>>16463802
In regards to the hypnogognic hallucinations. Those don't just happen for no reason, what illnesses could be a trigger? Or what in general could be a trigger? No schizophrenia runs in my family as far as I know, although bipolar disorder and multiple personality disorder do. Although I have shown no signs of either and am currently a fairly healthy 23 year old.
>>
>>16463822
Its backslide. Observe the times when the body image gets worse, force yourself to eat, and find treatment. Whats your alternative? Slide slowly back into the pattern until you find someone else to dominate you so totally that you're regulated? Even if that works you've traded one problem for another...
>>
>>16463802
>Forgiveness isn't divine, its masochism.
People can make mistakes. I can forgive them if I want to. I'm no masochist and I'm not lacking a spine. I have and do cut contact with people who I feel have sufficiently wronged me and have show no interest in making amends. If I wanted advice on how to cut contact with this person I'd've asked it.

>So is this a larger pattern of behavior or is it just with this person?
I can forgive people for smaller stuff easily and move on from it easily as well. I'm a little slower to forgive larger things, but if I have reason to believe they deserve it, sure I can do that too. I don't move on from them very well though, I dwell on bad shit a lot.

>Why aren't you worth being treated better in the first place?
It's happened multiple times, but that does not mean it's a regular occurrence. I am treated fine. That I have not moved past them is my problem. One I'm at a loss to fix and would need to fix for my peace of mind regardless of whether or not I cut ties.
>>
>>16463831

not the doctor

That's some Freud shit for sure. No question. Your dad and the men you like are similar.
>>
>>16463827
You can address the symptoms with Will, but its going to be uneven and exhausting. The deeper work isn't likely something you can do alone.

>>16463829
You'll have to ask someone who does CBT. I've never been much good with the short term tricks, but thats probably because 70% of my caseload is Axis II.

>>16463831
You're enacting the relationship. What do you want from romantic relationships? What are you actually looking for?

>>16463832
>Those don't just happen for no reason,
Sure they do.

Don't over think it.

Also, DID is a trauma disorder.
>>
>>16463845

>You'll have to ask someone who does CBT. I've never been much good with the short term tricks, but thats probably because 70% of my caseload is Axis II.

Would that person SPECIFICALLY be CBT? as a specialty?
>>
>>16463844
Well, now that HE said it...
>>
>>16463844
Well...now that HE said it...

>>16463847
Sorta. The watchword is "theoretical orientation." You're looking for someone who works from that perspective.
>>
>>16463845
Alright, I'll try not to over think it. Would you advise seeking a therapist as soon as possible or potentially wait another week or two and see if the problem potentially lessens or sorts itself out?
>>
>>16463802

A professional who doesn't know what post doctoral work is.

Awesome
>>
>>16463845

a kind, decent, honest, trustworthy person who is willing to put in the effort it takes to sustain a relationship

i want a partner and a friend, not a burden

idk that really scares me. at least when men treat me like shit i know where i stand with them
>>
>>16463856
I'd always advise seeking a therapist. Still, its not quite urgent.

Aaaaaaaaand, I'm gonna go pass out with a cat.
>>
>>16463859
2000 hours from earning your degree to being eligible to sit the EPPP, nation wide.
>>
>>16463695

I know that it's impossible to diagnose someone you haven't spoken to, but if I were to describe how my boyfriend has been acting lately, would you be willing to at least give me your opinion on whether he is a sociopath or genuinely troubled?
>>
>>16463844

well yeah that was the basis of the entire question
>>
>>16463695
what should i get for spencers birthday?
>>
>>16463695
sometimes i have problems with empathy so should i just fake it or what
>>
>>16463695
Who scored the winning touchdown in Superbowl 5?
>>
Why the fuck am I so sad all the time? It seems my life is great jfc.
I'm an ungrateful fuck and I mean idk but just others have so much ..
>>
>>16463695
I feel incredibly detached from the people around me, so I have taken to locking myself in my room if there isn't any reason to leave it, and I often feel so sad that I can physically feel pain in my chest. Is this depression, or am I just being self-indulgently sad.
>>
>>16463695
What path lead you to your current career? Majors, internships, etc? Anything in particular that got you to where you are? (Nervous senior here trying to decide on what career path to follow)
>>
>>16463695
Please explain the Albigensenist Heresy
>>
>>16463695
Where are the Isles of Langerhans?
>>
>>16463695
Who played Edmund in Laurence Olivier's 1980s TV King Lear?
>>
>>16463695
Who's on first?
>>
>>16463845
Axis II

Good fucking luck. Half of my psychiatric and ED rotations was axis II

>tfw most of my family too
>>
OP, I had something weird happen. a year ago, i started meditating and realized a few big things. i became more self-aware and realized that my parents had been abusive when i was a kid (calling me stupid, worthless, sadistically & beating me). i knew a lot about abuse and psychology but just never put it together. after one meditation, it was like my mind had previously been divided into a bunch of "compartments", like drawers of a dresser. the "clothes" (thoughts) never touched. and after the meditation, i could see that i'd been repressing thoughts i didnt want to deal with- locking them in different drawers and then switching to another train of thought- another drawer if you will. what is this called?

i have lots of thoughts that are bad for me- thinking im not good enough, etc. i want to improve my personality and my thinking. is there a systematic way to go thru a checklist or do exercises to do this? i have had no luck with therapy- they tend to just listen, nod, validate, and not offer concrete advice on improving my life.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.