[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to major in English but everyone is discouraging me. So
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
I want to major in English but everyone is discouraging me. So I've been thinking of double majoring with sociology. I want to be more into literary journalism, (like Tom Wolfe), but everyone keeps discouraging me about what that will mean for my future. So i'm really lost right now, and I don't know what classes I should take. What are you senpai getting a degree in?
>>
>>16452535

I got a film degree. despite the reptuation that sort of degree gets, i didnt have anyone fighting me over it. even my strict military father wanted me to go for it, cuz its pretty much all I did with my life from 8th grade, so much so that he offered me the largest bedroom in the house (after his own of course) just so that I could film easier.

i graduated 2012, havent had much film work since then though, as it is a competitive industry thats hard to break into in any serious way. I happen to manage a small office though so that pays the bills and all that nonsense.

moral of this story is that perhaps you should go for what you want but definitely have a very real back up plan.

my big question is why would you want to major in english? unless you also get a teaching degree you cant even teach highschool english with just that, so what good does an english degree do?
>>
>>16452545
Well i could go into peace corps, i hear also that its helpful if going into law. But its pretty limited which is what makes me extremely doubtful about the degree
>>
>>16452545
also i would really like to become an author and perhaps even start up my own magazine one day
>>
>>16452545
>what good does an english degree do
Its pretty much universally accepted any work that requires just a BA.
Journalism its just as valid as an actual journalism degree . Editing, surprisingly wide field.
Its like i studied econ and poli sci and every retard and there mother ia like? What can you do with that degree become prime minister?
When there were actually lots of private jobs available for me.
Most degrees you can find work if you are food enough.

That being aaid op sociology is not one of them. No idea why the fuck youd take it instead of english, unless you prefer it. Its not better for job opportunities.
>>
>>16452631

>author

you dont really need an english degree for that, especially in this day and age of trashy novels. reading is no longer a smart activity, its not much different than watching TV. My ex has published like 4 novels so far, and he didn't get an english degree.

taking english and writing classes certainly help, but they do not need to be your college focus.

>start my own magazine

i mean if you did a digital one for fun that might be a thing, but the magazine industry is dying really, everyone just reads free stuff online. they say print is dying in general.

>>16452636

I'm having trouble deciphering your post, so maybe you SHOULD stick with an english degree.
>>
>>16452636
its not that i prefer it, i just find it interesting and feel like it may help my writing skills and expand my mind for journalism. My school does not offer a journalism degree so thats why i'm doing english. What would you recommend majoring with english? I'm more into culture than i am with politics. i used to be but i have become extremely disillusioned with politics and i'd rather not deal with it anymore
>>
>>16452535

Journalism is probably a better degree than english if you want to go into any form of journalism. Journalism is applied english; most fields that are an "applied" something is better that whatever the something is, because ultimately when you work a job you are "applying" your knowledge.

If you know what you want to write about, it might be good to get a degree in that field with a minor in english/journalism. Like if you want to focus on crime you could major in criminal justice, or if you want to focus on politics then major in political science etc.
>>
>>16452661
yeah that's what I was thinking a little while ago but i started to feel like it would help me tremendously. And yes your right about magazines dying so i'll probably figure something out thats similar
>>
>>16452535
Go with what you want, but journalism is hard to get into. Have a back up plan that's more likely.
>>
>>16452685
Do you really think so? i've also heard that a journalism degree doesn't work out as often as it may seem...Also i'm trying to figure out what you said about majoring in a different field too. I'm more into culture so that's why i thought sociology but people here are saying it has no opportunities lol
>>
>>16452705

What I mean by majoring in something related is that A) you'll have options if journalism doesn't work and B) its easy to write, its not as easy to have a thorough knowledge of something based on doing research. If you want to do journalism based on culture, then sociology and anthropology would be good majors. However, those aren't super useful degrees if journalism doesn't work out.

You need to be honest with yourself. Are you a talented writer? Do you have insights into things that others don't often see? If you think you are a good writer with potential, then you should follow your dreams and not worry about the opportunities.
>>
>>16452661
Im on a phone fuckface. If your comprehension is so bad a few typos prevent your ability to interpret it. That's hardly on me.
>>16452676
If thats the road you wanna go then just anything youd want to write about. Sociology could work i guess.
>>
>>16452631
You don't need a college degree in anything to be an author.

To become an author you just need to write. Do it a lot, and read a lot.

Anyone who tells you that you do needs to be kicked in the nuts, or clam.
>>
>>16452771
I'm open to other ideas besides sociology if you have any. I do understand that sociology doesn't have many opportunities and I would like to a solid back up in case i don't have any opportunities for english right away
>>
>>16452795
This. My school offers a Masters in creative writing, most of the applicants are already published authors who want to gain a qualification and develop their skills further
>>
Anything but an arts degree.

The stereotype of arts degree majors landing coffee barista jobs exists for a good reason.
>>
>>16452535
I'm an English major that's minoring in Philosophy. I was going to go down the traditional route and become a teacher, but I really dislike kids and I'm a poor teacher in general.
I've decided that after I receive my degree for English I'm going to go to law school. There's a lot of analytical thought that has to be put into it so I figured that would be the best career for me.
Idk whether your one of the more artsy English majors and you enjoy creative writing, but you can apply your English degree to a lot more than you think.
Anyways fuck what everyone else tells you and do whatever major you want because it's your life
>>
>>16453758
thanks, i think in the next few days i will change my major from poli sci to english and minor in poli sci. idk why but i think i just needed to here from an english major perspective. Also, is it easy to network in that type of academia? i hear networking is 90% of getting jobs out of college
>>
>>16453775
(sorry for typos, on mobile)
>>
>>16453775
It depends on the school you're attending. I go to a pretty decently sized school that has a club that specializes in law and how you should apply yourself to prepare for that, what classes you should take, etc.
Also it's good to have some internships under your belt. It gives you experience, something to put on your resume, and you'll be able to network (my school has career fairs and info on internships).
Really you just have to take time to figure out what you do best and what career you're most interested in. When you do, talk to an adviser and get some info on what classes you should take.
It'll work out as long as take initiative and work hard at it!
>>
>>16453811
Thanks! I will definitely try to talk to a counselor about it. I got to a california community college but we have a great relationships with the univerisities of california. I'm planning on joining in on the honors program and see how that goes
>>
>>16453842
Good luck!
>>
>>16452535

Major in Philosophy instead. It's just as useless when searching for a job but it'll give you better practical skills than studying English. Furthermore, the psuedosciences are the vaporware of academia and you could become more competent studying a more traditional body of knowledge.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.