[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help losing weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So I'm getting chubs and this ain't bueno.
I'm 6'1 weighing at 240 and I feel like a fat lard of shit.
Any suggestions what to cut back and good exercises that'll help me get back in shape?
I want to hit 180 in a year or so,I Dont drink sodas but I do drink sweet tea which i probably will replace with water and also fast food going to cut back to just home foods,but I Dont really know what to get and what to avoid?
>>
Cut soda
Stop putting sugar in any tea or coffee
Get an app like Couch to 5K that will coach you on ramping up your exercise over time. It'll start you mostly walking for 20 minutes a day, and if you stick with it and do the program 3 days a week for around 30 minutes each time, you'll be running a full 5k nonstop in six weeks.
>>
Depends on what you want. If you want to build muscle, exercise, a high protein/modest fat diet is optimal. Weight loss while retaining lean mass, calorie deficient but balanced diet. Rapid weight loss with minimal muscle loss, high protein, no carb diet.

All have positives and negatives.
>>
>>16451180
Its called couch?
>>16451185
I Dont mind building muscle but would also like to lose inches off my waist,I'm at 40 and want to slim down to a 36-32,I'm also debating whether to get a basic gym membership or just get the setup at home.
>>
>>16451192
"Couch to 5k". Basically you play your own music or podcast or whatever and the app will give you cues at intervals when you should start warming up, walking, jogging, running, and cooling down. There are a bunch of apps like it but CouchTo5K is the most popular. You can also track your time and distance on GPS to monitor your improvement over time.

If you prefer something that doesn't feel so much like a fitness program and is more gamelike, get "Zombies, Run!". It's a story based fitness app where you are a runner for a survivor camp after the zombie apocalypse, and each time you go out running you pick up supplies and advance the story to build up your base and fight the zombies. It also has a built in 5k trainer for a couple extra bucks.
>>
>>16451168
>I want to hit 180
Only way to lose weight is to eat at a caloric deficit, whether you're exercising or not. Check the /fit/ sticky, start counting calories, and preferably start exercising so you don't lose muscle mass as your weight drops.

If you can't cook now's the time to learn. Eating clean and counting calories got me from 320lbs to 160lbs.
>>
>>16451203
Awesome I got them both downloaded,probably going to give it a go this weekend as well as weekdays on my off schedules,thanks anon!
>>16451224
I was just told to not eat bread often and I should be fine but I didn't abide and now I feel bleh,probably gonna get some more advice here and go to that board for deeper instructions, anything that'll prevent me from hitting this goal asides laziness?
>>
>>16451234
Don't expect much from /fit/. All the information you need from the board is consolidated in the sticky.

What worked best for my when changing my diet was doing it gradually over time so that it was habit forming. At first I ate the same unhealthy shit as always, but just less of it until I was hitting my calorie goal for the week. Once I was used to eating a smaller amount, I started eating healthier by substituting unhealthy foods for healthier ones. Fried chicken wings for skinless chicken breasts, leaner cuts of red meat, less red meat in general and more fish instead. More veggies. Over time eating clean became routine.

The hardest part for me was starting, but after counting calories for a while you start to realize just how much a piece of food is really worth. Eventually, even if I was feeling hungry and really wanted dessert or something, I knew I'd just eat it within a few minutes, not really get much enjoyment out of it, and end up 500 calories over my goal, so it got a lot easier to resist those urges. Just had to tough it out for a while first.
>>
>>16451251
That's my problem as well like beggining,I've only had one try at changing my diets and that was to be a vegetarian,felt empty inside and realized I need meat in my diet,I usually eat sandwiches with turkey ham,cheese and mayo on one side, or noodles,but I eat one big meal a day so I eat like a pig, four cups of noodles at once or four sandwiches, so I guess from your point of view just slowly eat less every day?
>>
>>16451263
Find a TDEE calculator online, plug in your stats and it'll tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight. Subtract 500 from that and you've got a weekly goal that will see you lose about 1lb each week.

For me, lowering how much I ate until I hit that number and then eating healthier substitutes worked. For you, the best method may be different. Just gotta try it and not quit if it gets hard.
>>
Eat less calories than you use durig the day, a 300-500deficit should be fine. don't overdo that cause you'll have to persist for a long time.
Count everything, yes that cookie when no-one's watching does count, yes beer does count and that kebab after drinking is ok, but it DOES count!
cardio is nice because it gives you more stamina and thereby allows you to consume more energy in daily life, Standing on a thredmill and checking how much calories you burn DURING exercize is fucking retarded. you'll be running like an hour to burn off one glass of milk. That doesn't mean you shouldn't exercize, but keep in mind that it's not about the energy you burn DURING exercize.

Another myth is that you have to do just cardio get ripped, that's bullshit and only marketing talk to bitches because a thredmill looks less intimidating than weights.
The truth is, weight training builds muscle, but thereby also makes you use more energy and the big exercizes get your cardiovascular system cranked up just as well.

look up starting strength by rippetoe, be carefull with properly carrying out the exercizes and don't worry about keeping the weights low at first.
>>
>>16451234
No problem, buddy! I went from 280 to 170 getting into a regular running/cardio routine. It's not going to be overnight, the body takes time to adapt and change at a healthy pace, so don't be discouraged if it takes some time for significant results. As long as you try a little harder each time you'll get there.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.