[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
move in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I want to move in with my boyfriend next summer, but if I do my parents will probably take away everything they are helping pay for and do everything they can to make life harder for me (for example: say I stole the car they gave me - which I have been threatened with once before).

How can I possibly convince them into not hating me? Guilt my parents (who did the same thing at my age)? Save up a lot of money in the next six months and hope for the best?

I am stressing out because this is the plan I want to go forward with. I get along living with my bf, I won't pay rent, I still get to go to school, I keep my cat...
otherwise I will have to get rid of my pet and pay about $500+ a month to live with strangers.

For reference I will be 20 when I move in.
>>
You can't talk hateful people into not hating.

Yes, start saving up money.
>>
>>16448819
>Save up a lot of money in the next six months and hope for the best?

lots of $$ is always a good idea

giving up on your crappy parents is another good idea but them saying you "stole" the car can be a problem - do you pay insurance on the car ? so you have a policy with your name on it ? the police will wonder why your parents are claiming theft if you have these papers

do you have receipts for maintenance work on car ? get some, see above

good luck
>>
>>16448834
Unlike a pet, "who maintains the thing" is not the question of ownership with a vehicle. The name on the title is where that question starts and ends.
>>
They don't hate you.

- They don't want you to move in with your boyfriend.
- They don't want you to get hurt.
- They don't want you to make a BIG mistake.
- They think you are too young to move in with a boy.

They will have every right to not pay for anything any more.
They will get over it but do not come crying back home in a month.
Do not attempt to ask them for help.

Adulthood is about making big, life-changing decisions, choose wisely.
>>
>>16448834
I don't know much about cars but I know that, out of generosity, my dad gave me the car for college since he lives across the country. My name is not on anything except that our last names are the same. He pays for insurance.

He threatened this once because I wanted to drive 4 hours away once on a trip to take a friend home. I never did dumb shit growing up but that's how I'm treated.
>>
>>16448864

I agree with this Anon. You are too young to move in with someone as if your life was already committed to such a change.

Maybe your folks know best and they're seeing something you miss. Be mindful of your choice.
>>
>>16448864
See I don't expect my parents to pay for everything. It is a super nice perk that I don't want gone anytime soon, but if it happens, it happens. What I don't want to happen is my dad to hate me or threaten to say I stole his stuff. My parents also say I am dependent on their tax forms and shit and it will make being cutoff more difficult. Please correct me if I am wrong though, because I am having a hard time finding information on this. (USA)

I can't go back home. They live too far away, I pay for my schooling, I'm not leaving.
>>
>>16448890
Even if this wasn't about moving in with my boyfriend, it is actually sort of a big deal about being cut off. They threaten me with this stuff if I do something they don't agree with all the time. It makes me never want to try anything that isn't even remotely scandalous.
>>
You sound far too immature to be moving in with your boyfriend.
>>
>>16448819
>>16448828
>>16448834

Can you just not move in with your boyfriend? Is that really so hard? Fuck.
>>
>>16448949
That's what I meant when I said >>16448945
>>
>>16448949
It is not about him. It is about my parents not getting out of my ass for one second to let me mature and grow up at all.

I can't drive an hour away without them threatening me. I just don't know what to do.

If you think I am immature, which yes I know I am, please tell me how to grow up and get them away from me. Maybe moving in with my bf is irrational right now. I am just not thinking straight because of how I cannot do anything 2 years later after I moved out.
>>
>>16448985
>wants parents to let her grow up
>expects parents to pay for her living costs
Your parents will treat you like an adult when you start acting like an adult. Right now you're throwing a tantrum over them not giving you any money despite the fact that you're 19, soon to be 20. Mentally, you really are a kid and I don't blame them for treating you like one. Given how childish you're being, it's fair that they want to keen reins on you
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.