[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn to mediate for religious reasons. Every time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: meditation.jpg (75 KB, 1463x1473) Image search: [Google]
meditation.jpg
75 KB, 1463x1473
I want to learn to mediate for religious reasons. Every time I try, however, my thoughts end up straying and I stop focusing on God and start focusing on other things (like, I don't know, school, work, stuff like that.)

Tips?
>>
i kind of know what youre talking about. i feel sitting down crossed legged and whispering to yourself a worship song cant start to bring me closer, you just got to ask him to bring you into his presence. i feel it works best if i praise him and worship him, thats when i feel im closest to the council of god. think about all the things to be grateful for and just tell him how thankful you are for the spiritual and carnal gifts
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRAWbq48OY

You should watch the entire thing, but skip to 24:25 if you want to try a small exercise.
>>
Keep going. The mind likes to wander, it's not that you suck at meditation. Gently remind yourself that you're trying to focus, and bring your mind back to the point of your focus. The key is to not get judgemental about it. Soft and gentle.

In time your focus improves but you'll still have days where the mind is intent on wandering.

Btw is this Christian meditation? I'm interested in hearing more about that. Usually Christians like to separate meditation from prayer, though focused concentration is an important piece of any legitimate religious experience imo

Source: I practice a few different kinds of meditation and have worked with meditation instructors
>>
When I mediate I dont think about God. I dont think about anything. I just focus on my breathing and relaxation. Read some books about Taoism/Daosim or Buddishm or basically anything that does a lot with meditation
>>
is there not a form of meditation that literally is just sitting down and devoting time to think and process issues in your life? I literally cannot see myself completely shutting down thoughts
>>
I find guided audio meditations a lot easier to do than just sitting in a quiet room. YouTube has dozens of them for the picking.
>>
>>16447378
>>16447356
dont do that, stay stricty biblical or youll get confused
>>
>>16447387
t o p k e k
o
p
k
e
k
>>
>>16447379
Meditation isn't about shutting down your thoughts so much as it is actively deciding not to chase the thoughts around. You recognize a thought when it happens, but don't feed into it and create another thought.
>>
>>16447389
dickhole
i
c
k
h
o
l
e
>>
>>16447394
lmao assuming your
>>16447387
I thought you were being bait. Being biblical when it comes to meditation is confusing. Meditation isnt about religion, or anything to do with that. Thats why I mentioned reading some Taoism books. focuses less on the 'bible' and more on just relaxation. Yaknow? THe reason behind meditation...
>>
>>16447405
Relaxation is not the purpose of meditation.
>>
>>16447405
the bible mention meditation multiple times, its been around forever, its just focusing and relaxing your brain, the asain dudes didnt come up with anything new. "nothing is new under the sun"
>>
Meditation is traditionally about spirituality, and being one with reality. Praying, is to communicate with god.

The reason you're thinking about your life is because that is the purpose of meditation.
>>
>>16447417
Thats kind of my point mate. Focusing on the bible isnt what meditation is about. Focusing on God isnt what meditation about.

>>16447414
So God is?
>>
>>16447421
the guy is obviously religious you fuck wit, dont try and confuse him with some bullshit hippy stuff.
>>
>>16447421
>So God is
Is what? The purpose? Sure. Meditation is a tool for understanding our existence. It can bring you closer to god for sure. Don't expect anything too profound before years of practice though. In the early stages it's mostly a way to prepare the mind for serious religious contemplation. A sober and clear mind is ready to receive god, one could say.

(I'm not Christian but really like the idea of Christian meditation)
>>
>>16447435
what dude? first time i sat down and took time out, i had an extremely profound experience?
>>
>>16447429
im not bud
im roman catholic

im not saying that you cant think of God. Ofcourse you can. he just said it was hard for him. It was for me too. So i stopped bringing my religion into it, and it has worked for me

sorry guys if things got confused
>>
>>16447439
>roman catholic
>new pope is a hippy
I bet you're cool with gays too
>>
>>16447438
That's awesome. Would like to hear more about this.
>>
>>16447439
oh my bad, ive studied the depths of meditation and it seems to be a crock of bullsht thats why i got defensive. dont want anyone to go down the bullshit road i went down
>>
>>16447443
LOVE the new pope mate. Im roman catholic, not hitler youth. I grew up in a roman catholic family. But I grew up with (IMO) the real values
(acceptance) and (happiness)

sorry to other roman Catholics that dont like this.
>>
>>16447443
hate the sin not the sinner brah
>>
>>16447450
Never said I stuidied anything. But its ignorant to think the ONLY way to meditate is through God.
What if he wasnt having success? Ive been there. Sorry if you think I was attacking or now im retreating. Im just offering other options.

The bible is NOT the only answer. It is one. But i think there is many. I know I came off defensive. Look thats a fault of mine. I grew up in Catholic school, and most of the teachers are basically so strict they might as well BAN everything that isnt THEIR way. I strongly disagree with this. And want everyone to explore as much as they can.
Im not claiming to be an expert at all. Im a roman catholic, who studies Taoism and Buddhism, and hopefully more to come! Like I said sorry if I came off as a dick. Just dont want people to get sucked into one route.
>>
>>16447453
>real christian morals
Cheers m8!
>>16447454
Hatred is a sin of it's own.
>>
>>16447468
Tell that to the Lord your GOD.
>>
>>16447475
Tell that to your opinion of my God.
IMO my faith has been ruined by radicals and peoples beliefs.

>Roman Catholic
>Grew up in a strict household but taught these

I can love anyone I want (man or women)
I will still be accepted
I can join the Infantry (even though killing isnt okay)
I can get tattoos (Older family has a hard time looking but they still love me)
My cousins date interracial (But still are accepted and loved)
No one is forced into Catholic school. I chose to go, and learned some good their. But my own Mother opposed to some strict teachings they taught there, and faught against the stupid teachings, and faught for acceptance and love.
It doesnt matter what religion you are, The funiest experience I had at a religious ceremony was in South Korea at a Buddhist temple.
>>
>>16447523
>I can love anyone I want (man or women)
>my faith has been ruined by radicals
Good ol' fashioned heresy.
>>
OP, I honestly believe you're lucky.

I'm not sure if I'm just crazy or it was a weird coincidence (Or jut paranoid), but I get so depressed for a long time after frequent meditation that I get seriously suicidal.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I'm just focusing on my breathing and gently returning to it when I stray. I have OCD/Heavy depressive episodes if that helps.

I feel like it's nearly impossible to win in my head.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.