[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Considering law school as a second career. Been a teacher for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 31082FE_DA_120725_law-school.jpg (116 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
31082FE_DA_120725_law-school.jpg
116 KB, 425x283
Considering law school as a second career. Been a teacher for nine years, but need a change. Not looking to get rich, still want to help the greater good - environmental or educational law are what interest me most.

Anyone have experience with law school in their 30s? Anyone have any advice for or insight into those particular fields?
>>
>>16445968
Do you have the GPA and LSAT to get into a top 10 school?
Otherwise, it's probably not worth it

Unless you want to practice in Canada or something
>>
>>16446101
Haven't taken the LSAT, but definitely not GPA to get into top ten.

Why wouldnt it be worth it?
>>
>>16446109
because you're going to rack up ridiculous debt with few employment prospects?
>>
>>16446101
You don't need to go into a top 10 school to practice law... Especially considering OP is just looking to do the job. He's not looking for wealth or prestige. Which you won't even get anyway becoming a lawyer... He has a very altruistic goal in mind.

My buddy is a lawyer who went to a law school that isn't even in the top 50. It's not higher than 60 though, I'll just say that. He could have gotten a job at a firm but he's got anxiety issues so he just works out of his house.

I also have a family friend who is a lawyer who went to University of Houston. Houston is like 39th in the country He's got an office downtown, like in the middle of downtown, on like the 11th floor. That costs a lot of money if you didn't know. He's also been on tv multiple times for taking somewhat high profile cases.

Quit making shit up.
>>
>>16446126
two fine examples
consider me refuted

https://lawyerist.com/80971/actually-legal-jobs-arent-recovering/
>>
>>16446171
Lots of career fields are in recession but that doesn't mean you can't get a job in that field. Yeah it makes it more difficult but it's not impossible.
>see gas and oil
>i work in gas an oil
>tons of people will say you can't find a job right now
>it's mostly true but it's not impossible

My point to your original argument is still true. You don't need to go to a top tier school to become a lawyer.

I'm glad you know how to google and get all your information from the internet.
>>
>>16445968
I went to Law School at 32, and it was one of the better decisions in my life. You're surrounded by a dozens of 20-something year old keeners, but there were a lot of mature students too. I made some really great friends, which I honestly didn't see happening in my 30s.

I went through the Canadian system, so I can't really advise you on the job market. In Canada, the law schools are so few and closely regulated that a decent GPA is going to get you attention no matter where you went. Most schools will offer environmental law clinics to match you up with local clients, if that is something that you're interested in.
>>
>>16446428
Thanks for the input. How is the debt to income ratio? Are you going to be paying off for years and years?
>>
>>16446117
This

I'm in law school right now, save yourself the money. It isn't worth it. Get a masters in business management or something that can get you an actual job
>>
>>16445968
I'm not American but I've heard Law is saturated there (same in my area). Look here at the graduates to openings ratio and decide for yourself: http://www.economicmodeling.com/2014/01/10/the-oversatured-job-market-for-lawyers-continues/
>>
File: greener grass.jpg (408 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
greener grass.jpg
408 KB, 1200x675
>>16445968
Huh, typical "the grass is greener on the other side" mindset. You really sure being a lawyer is better? For goodness sake, you might not even be able to find a job after Law school as the market is saturated as fuck
>>
>>16447071
Not looking for better, but rather change.
>>
The situation for new lawyers in the US has never been so grim. If you want a professional program consider Pharmacy or Physician Assistant.
>>
>>16445968
See this: http://www.bcgsearch.com/article/60965/I-did-not-hold-a-summer-position-or-other-relevant-internship-during-my-law-school-What-should-I-do-to-help-my-job-search/
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.