[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Option A: getting a job that will reward me with more money
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: animath.jpg (23 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
animath.jpg
23 KB, 640x480
>Option A: getting a job that will reward me with more money than I need in a country I will not enjoy

>Option B: getting a job in a country I enjoy and where I am more likely to be happy, but paid 25% less and where the salary growth will be non negligibly inferior than option A

I am stuck. If option B had a good income, I would run for it. But I am tired of low money income after all these years at university. I also feel like finally getting a decent apartment, fulfilling my hobbies like travelling and living a comfortable life with furniture that are not second handed or IKEA's cheapest model. And I will definitely have to forget about it should I go for B.
>>
How much money are we talking for each? I'd go for option B unless the difference is really, really significant. You can budget carefully and save up money to allow for things like travel (which truthfully isn't that expensive if you know how to look for cheap flights and hotels) and nice furniture unless you're living paycheck to paycheck with B.
>>
>>16445340
This is a 25% difference.
Option B leaves me enough margin to do little savings but it will require me to carefully drive my budget, where option A would allow fancier standards of living and more extra stuff.

The thing is also that I feels like "being exploited" because the workload of B is slightly heavier than the one of A though the final paycheck is thinner.
>>
>>16445340
To be less cryptic
A is being an engineer in Germany 2500euro/month

B is also an engineering job but in Tokyo, for 2000 euros/month. We should consider that the price of "healthy" food is astronomic in Tokyo and that the apartment fee will be well more expensive.
>>
>>16445384
>>16445384

2.000€/month in Tokyo is really low. 2500€ in Germany I guess after taxes is an OK start. Roughly 48k€/a. Do it like a friend of mine. He is a Frenchman who used to work here in Germany for 3 years at a good automotive supplier and internally he looked out for jobs in Japan. It took some time and a lot of effort plus some chance but now he got an unlimited contract and a good salary in Tokyo. However if you don't think that kind of route I for you, go with what makes you happy.
>>
>>16445564
2000€/month is however the average start of engineers in glorious Japan...
I thought about the idea you described but it have too many uncertainties : will I ever be selected to be moved to Japan if I am employed in an international firm? If it doesn't happen I might not deal with this failure as it will be too late to start again from day 1.
Also it requires to build a life with the target to abandon as soon an possible.

I should start looking into foreign companies in Japan more seriously... But I am not sure whether they have the working conditions of the country of origin.
>>
I'd pick Option B, no contest. My overall happiness is more important to me than money. As long as I have enough to live comfortably, I'm fine.

Though that's me. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what you want to do
>>
>>16445588
I also think I value happiness better than money but seeing all my friends becoming rich fancy fucks and the dumbest of my classmate living with higher standard than I can expect in the best case scenario leaves me with an unfinished / waisted potential taste I cannot forget.
>>
>>16445320
I would choose B.

However, I'd like to understand why you think you can't do Option A, save some money up, and then have more options. Or why you can't do B for awhile and come back to A if you want more money.

It's like you're not even considering that you can save up money while doing A (you don't need to spend it all on a better quality living situation, you can be a frugal person), and you're not considering that this isn't a forever decision. Unless it is for reasons I don't understand (immigration or whatever).
>>
>>16445628
Comparing your life to others' is a terrible way to make decisions. So you'll have a lot of money if you go to Germany and earn just as much as your friends. Is it worth being miserable? I find it hard to believe that you really do value happiness more than money if you say you want more money in the next breath
>>
>>16445643
It is partly due to immigration issue : it will be easier to get a working Visa if I go for B now instead of in few years.
There is also personal preoccupation : I am in a relationship and it would mean to break it to eventually come in the same place later on.
I already broke a 5 years relationship before getting in my master and it was sad so I want to avoid it.
>>
>>16445646
I grew up persuading myself than if I work hard at school I'll leave the comfortable life I couldn't get as a child. I of course value happiness but am I ready to admit that all these years, my thinking was wrong and that suddenly renounce the standards of living I was taken as granted once I get my first job?

I cannot help myself but comparing me to the other one that are close enough to me. I sometimes make me feel good about me when I succeed better than most but also ruins me when I waste something I could have had.
>>
>>16445320
I'd go for option A myself. I mean, you'll have the whole of Europe to travel in and you can save up to travel to Japan sometime with the extra money you'll be earning. Plus the lighter workload sounds nice lol.
>>
The solution is undefined.
>>
Personally, I'd rather be poor in an area I love over be rich in a shit hole. You work to live, not live to work. If you don't enjoy where you are/your time off then is the job even worth it?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.