[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reference checking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1420669889829.png (19 KB, 512x323) Image search: [Google]
1420669889829.png
19 KB, 512x323
When applying for a job and need to give a reference from my old company, is it possible to stop the old company from elaborating on how I performed? I've been fired from my first job due to performance and don't want it to nuke my career.
>>
>>16439582

>is it possible

i mean yes but that doesn't mean they will or wont. you are asking ab it of a confusing question.

the best thing you can do is fake a reference. if its from the old job that helps, but simply have a friend from that old company pretend to be your manager.
>>
>>16439591
Hadn't thought of that. I do have one guy who is also likely to be fired so he might see eye to eye on this lol
>>
Why would you ask for a reference from a company you were fired from? It doesn't make sense. Nothing good can come from that.
>>
>>16439619
Well it's my first job, so I don't have any others really. I suppose the trick is to go somewhere where references aren't needed? Or do temp work and get better references there?
>>
>>16439641
No.

If you think someone is going to give you a bad reference, don't use them, regardless of experience or not.

Volunteer or do temp work in the mean time.

This is coming from a recruiter.
>>
>>16439653
Okey dokey then, will take a look at volunteer work (hopefully with better bosses!)
>>
>>16439641
A bad reference is worse than no reference or a fake one.

Either fake it because most companies don't really give a shit or just put down nothing and find some shit tier job that you can actually use as a reference. You don't seem like you're in a position where you're getting anything but some entry level shit tier job that hires teenagers anyways.
>>
>>16439582
Companies don't tell other companies about your performance. They can and probably won't say much about you though, and that's enough to let the hiring company know about your work ethic.

If it's a retail, fast food, or other low paying job, you don't need a resume or experience. Interview is all about personality, and they want to make sure you're not lazy or actually retarded.
>>
>>16439678
So you're saying I'm up shit creek without a paddle?
>>
>>16439693
No, I'm saying that you're probably young and your lack of references doesn't really matter because the only jobs available to your are shit-tier and can be taught to anyone who's only half-retarded in a single day.

If you were a grown ass adult at age 30 with zero solid work references you would be stranded in shit ocean without a raft.
>>
>>16439693
Recruiter here.

Please don't use fake references. I check references on candidates I'm iffy about. So they DO get checked. Most of the time I don't check them, but please don't use fake ones.
>>
>>16439582
I've posted this numerous times in these threads, and while it's merely anecdotal it's also an extreme case that proves you can still use a tainted reference. Lots of places won't speak ill of past employees unless you did something incredibly awful.

I was the General Manager of a pizza place. Worked there for 5 years. Anyway, one day I got fed up. At the time I was trying to get a raise for months since I increased our yearly sales 15% but he kept saying we'd talk later. So I had enough. Called a customer a cunt. She said she was gonna call the franchise owner. I punched like 5 holes in the wall in the office. Threw all the phones everywhere. Threw pizza screens and pretty much anything not bolted down everywhere. Ripped a bathroom door of it's hinges and took it with me and just left the store empty in the middle of the day. I took the door because I put it in.

So I used that as a reference and my current job, which is what I would call a real job (have paid vacations, 401K, great benefits, per diem, bonuses, it's structured, etc), did a very thorough background check on me and checked all my references. I still got the job.
>>
>>16439699
>So they DO get checked

And then you immediately follow up with how you usually don't bother, because realistically nobody has the time to care about calling up every single reference everyone writes down.
>>
>>16439726
These days if I'm iffy about someone, it goes straight into the proverbial trash.

But yeah, don't fake it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.