[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is up with the notion that suicidal people are only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: professorkatz2.png (287 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
professorkatz2.png
287 KB, 650x650
What exactly is up with the notion that suicidal people are only that way for attention?

I never really understood that. Whether it's mild or severe suicidalism, there's that stereotype dictating that attention seeking is the main goal. I mean, to be in that state is doing an awful lot just to be histrionic. The closest I can come up with was remembering a couple kids at my high school who claimed to be suicidal for attention (or so it came off). But a). that was high school, and I kind of expect weird shit like this from people in that age range; and b). this was the emo fad started taking off (good god I'm old). I even remember arguing with someone on /sci/ about how during his university years, one of the football players hung themselves, and everyone kept talking about how tragic it was. The /sci/duck then claimed to go around telling people not to take it seriously, because the victim was, his words, only doing it for attention. And then remarked on how it was "the easiest way to get" just that.
>>
>you'll all be sorry when I'm gone
>>
>>17367275
For the same reason people will say things like "OMG I'm soooo OCD, I can't stand it when my car is a mess lol."

They're making light of a situation they don't understand. When in reality, OCD is a crippling mental illness that has nothing to do with just liking things to be tidy.

People who don't have a problem can't understand what it's like to have that problem. So they fill in the holes any way they can. Often times they get it horribly wrong. When enough people do this, it becomes the normal hivemind of the way people think of things. It stands to reason the majority of people aren't suicidal, so they don't understand what it feels like or why suicidal people do what they do. So non-suicidal people will make up their own assumptions for why. This is a very common human behavior, and a very stupid one.
>>
>>17367280
What would your country have to gain from your existence? Serious question especially considering how you stated I would be sorry when you are gone.

If you endeavored to find cures for cancers. Enhanced methods of non benefecial bacterial avoidance.
Pretty much if you endeavor to prolong life or have an extremely logical sense of thinking so youd be a serious candidate if you ever are considering election; To lead your country so you can promote a sense of wealth in all aspects within each citizen. In due time, your impact will result in a reduced crime rate; Especially as the years of your influence continues.

So with that said: What is your plan that would make us, the people, sorry for the disappearance of your existence?
>>
>>17367309
Uh, buddy, I think he's joking.
>>
>>17367275
It's just human nature to dismiss things we don't prioritize, so that's an easy excuse to shrug off problems that would take a ton of effort and time we don't have. Welcome to the population problem.

I mean sometimes it is true, but that's the 'why' to a lot of questions like that. No one has the fucking time to fix a mentally broken person, whether it be a depserate attention whore or a deprssed suicidal, if it isn't someone you love, they are not worth your time. I'm not saying this as an opinion or a point of view. This is a fact in all of us. No one would help these kinds of people if they weren't paid a hefty sum for their time, ie therapists who charge double digits by the fucking hour.
>>
>>17367299
Exactly fucking this. Well said.

That OCD example was great by the way. God, those people get on my nerves.
>>
>>17367275
Saying you want to kill yourself is good for attention because if you don't give the person attention and the deed is done youmay feel guilty.

Some people took advantage of that and the sterotype was set.
>>
>>17367385
>what is charity
>>
>>17367316
Fucking savage to the summer crowd
>>
>>17367275
>What exactly is up with the notion that suicidal people are only that way for attention?
Because it is true.
If someone is obviously suicidal like they talk about it or you take one look at them and you know they are thinking about suicide then they are seeking attention.
Multiple attempts at suicide is another sign they are doing it for attention, I had a friend who failed three times.

The thing about people who are genuinely suicidal and want to die is they do not show it, they are the happiest mother fuckers ever on the outside, you think wow that guy must have a great life then he is found dead a week later .
People who are going to kill themselves tend to hide it and hide it well.
A lot of suicides are accidentally, they were the attention seeking breed that fucked up and died for it when trying their ultimate attention seek.

How do I know all this well I have a had few attention seeker friends, they would hang around me and tell me how they were going to do it, I'd talk them out of course and they would tell me that my happiness would rub off on them.
The twist was I was suicidal myself, I was depressed for over 9 years, it started when I was 9.
I did not know why, I did not even notice until I was 18 because I originally thought it was just normal.
One morning I woke up and it hit me, I wish I was dead I thought to myself.
Ill kill myself the next chance I get I told myself and I began to research.

I decided in the end to overdose on some pills the next chance I was left alone.
I waited until the house would be empty for a long time and I calculated the amount it would take to kill me and took a lot more than that.

I would be dead if my mother had not forgotten her phone and return five minutes are I began to overdose, she found me passed out in the bathroom.
There was no note either because I did not know why myself.

I was rushed to hospital, stomach pumped, move to a mental hospital and got some psychiatric help.
>>
>>17367275
Because suicide is very easy to do, and any excuse for not doing it is seen as a sign of attention.
>>
I think it's a blanket statement you make out of laziness to consider possibilities that are more complex. The world is complex. People are complex. Some are simple, sure. Some, maybe a lot, just want attention. But that doesn't mean they all do. Some people simply want out. I feel that way from time to time, but I'm lucky to have good coping mechanisms and people in my life who it would hurt.

For example, if I were alone on a desert island and I had a gun I'd probably kill myself. There's no reason to stay alive to starve/dehydrate when you can just say fuck it and take the quick way out.
>>
its the only PC responce out there. Its supposed to say suicide is bad and that the idea should never be entertained. Its propoganda with the best of intentions (still not an excuse but whatever).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.