[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I swore into the army and always receive a lot of "you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
I swore into the army and always receive a lot of "you're so young. How could you give up your life"

Maybe its because ive been brain washed or something but I cant see a downside to me joining besides the possibility of death or rape.

>free healthcare
>job training
>college credit
>develop brother/sister hood
>travel
>my dads veterans benefits is paying for all of my tuition
>sense of pride
>get fit
>develop leadership
>get job
>job security
>so much more

What is it that Im not seeing? Please help me understand why I should regret joining.
>>
>>17356359
hey if you like it then do it. its not for me personally but it has some great benefits. you'll have awesome life skills you will always use and learn dedication and the beauty of pain.

people see it as negative because you could potentially fuck your life up. even if you dont die in combat, mental scarring is just as bad. more soldiers have comitted suicide then died in the iraq war.

your choice op.
>>
>>17356359
For most people death is pretty big deterrent. Along with ptsd or crippling injury

Others don't see the war that the army engages as justified, so it is more of an ideological opposition.

There are obvious restrictions on your personal freedom when you join the army. and most people don't want that.

That aside, I think you should do what you want, but I advise you should think hard about it before you commit. Cheers, soldier
>>
>>17356370
I forgot to consider not dying. As in losing a leg or my mind at war instead of my life. I suppose I like the idea of death more than becoming useless.

Why isnt it for you? I mean if you have health problems I understand completely. But I feel like its such a great opportunity for money and experiences.

>>17356374
I forgot politics plays into this. Im gonna be a medic though. I see this more of a helping people thing rather than supporting the goverment. Giving up my time and effort and independence seems minimal in what they're giving me in return though.

Thank you for y'alls answers. I guess can see why some people dont want to join. Still seems kinda trival though.
>>
>>17356438
im just not interested in the army. i have other things i wanna persue. but you will be much better looked after then me so thats a plus. but i would still seriously reconsider the cons before joining. best of luck.
>>
File: 1467607280896.jpg (18 KB, 510x430) Image search: [Google]
1467607280896.jpg
18 KB, 510x430
>>17356359
>besides the possibility of death or rape
>>
>>17356359
You shouldn't (unless you're a woman). People just don't understand the military at all.
>>
>>17356482
Kek. I mean you could get killed or raped any other time. I dont see it as a huge factor in not going.
>>
>>17356489
I am a girl.
>>
>>17356495
In that case, the downside is that you're lowering the standards of your unit. You're not fucking up just your life, you're fucking up everyone's life at your camp.
>>
>>17356504
How so?
>>
File: 1468030580171.jpg (249 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1468030580171.jpg
249 KB, 600x600
>>17356359
You know you're just a burden on the military (and taxpayers) and the only reason they accept you is because they are forced to? All you're getting out of this is free money you're basically stealing from every person you'll ever meet.

Women don't have to meet any real standards to join and your CO will bend over backwards to keep you for the rest of your career. Maybe the financial benefits are nice for you, but seriously shame on you.
>>
>>17356513
They weren't forced to accept me. I had a couple bullshit medical issues they could've DQd me on.
I get you're trying to be a troll though. I hope you find happiness in your life someday.
>>
>>17356532
>I get you're trying to be a troll though. I hope you find happiness in your life someday.
Wow, great argument. You're a girl alright.
>>
>>17356536
I do indeed own a vagina. Im just not interested in pathetic commie scum.
>>
>>17356550
People are going to refuse to tell you the truth for the rest of your life. They will constantly dance around the point because no matter how they say it, you will lose your fucking mind, you won't listen, and you're just condescend and shout insults. You'll jeopardize the careers of every male peer you encounter and everyone will begin to tune out everything you have to say while nervously agreeing.

I'm trying to tell you now what they are thinking because they never will.
>>
>>17356559
I dont understand this. Im generally a pretty mild-mannered person. Youre speaking as though im some crazed femi nazi.
How would i jeopardize the careers of other around me?
>im trying to tell you now
But tell me what? You've said my co workers will want me out but also how my CO will force me in ( i do actually want to stay in). Seems kinda contradictory.
>>
>>17356580
I'm telling you how the military works and how employers work. It's government policy. It's not a matter of what you're doing, but it sounds like you're prepared to make it worse if anyone ever questions you.

>my CO will force me in ( i do actually want to stay in)
Man you're fucking stupid. Good luck following orders if this is how you react to dissent.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>17356513
>>17356536
>>17356559
Couldnt be less obvious
>>
File: Happy Dance.gif (597 KB, 400x367) Image search: [Google]
Happy Dance.gif
597 KB, 400x367
Well, there's the whole bit about killing people you don't know just because somebody else told you to. I guess if you're okay with that, then there's no reason no to- although the mafia pays better.

And a lot of the thing you mentioned- pride, brotherhood- *is* straight-up brainwashing. If you're joining to make friends and feel good about yourself, that's pretty fucking pathetic.

(Also: the "education benefit" is pretty much a scam. Don't fall for that one.)

But yeah, Do It! No downside! Boo-yah!
>>
>>17356585
I wouldnt question my bosses. You're retarded if you think im not gonna question random people on the interwebs.

Are you even military?
>>
>>17356605
Are you fucking insane? Your responses aren't even making sense, they are barely replies to what I said.
>>
Why when someone mentions the military people ALWAYS assume combat when the military is a fuckton of things beyond combat?
>>
File: 3574341573.jpg (62 KB, 536x800) Image search: [Google]
3574341573.jpg
62 KB, 536x800
>>17356587
>pride
>brotherhood
>brainwashing
>>
>>17356616
Because to do those other jobs you still have to be competent. Being too weak or too stupid or too emotional for combat means you can't really do the other jobs either. And also, most of them are support for combat and you still get trained in combat.
>>
>>17356611
Ok at this point, I dont think you understand english.

>>17356587
Noted about the brotherhood thing.

But like i said, because my dad is former military and didnt go to college, hes passing his benefits to me. I am going to college tuition payed in full. Plus a stipend from getting commissioned in rotc.

Although because i commissioned im losing my 10k student repayment bonus from the reserves.
>>
>>17356626
>Ok at this point, I dont think you understand english.
If I'm the one who has trouble understanding, then what is my point? Can you even explain what my argument is?
>>
>>17356622
So your whole spiel on women in the military is bullshit considering women have been and are already doing perfectly well in pretty much any role that's not frontline combat?

Or perhaps the bullshit is that you need to be trained in combat for non-combat roles when you actually don't? As a side note I dunno if being a sniper or a bomber plane pilot counts as combat, by the way, but women have been great at those too. Soviet female snipers and pilots were a thorn in the Nazi's side during WW2.

Which is it man, you can't contradict yourself.
>>
File: 1460458934328.gif (140 KB, 379x440) Image search: [Google]
1460458934328.gif
140 KB, 379x440
>>17356637
>women are perfectly capable of any job in the military men can do
>in fact women excel at some jobs!
I hope you don't actually believe this.
>>
>>17356645
Women have proved to be perfectly capable of doing any non-combat job in the military just fine.
You said to do non-combat you still need to be trained in combat. So I assume those women were trained in combat, passed it, and then pursued their career. That would mean that women can be trained in combat just fine and your ravings against OP are unjustified. Unless your whole "you need to be trained in combat to do non-combat" was just plain old bullshit?
>>
>>17356650
Your premise is flawed. Women do not do their jobs well in the military. If you refuse to pass a woman through training you're out of a job.
>HURR GOTCHA YOU SAID YOURSELF THEY WERE TRAINED
What I actually said was nobody is allowed to fail them or criticize them, and that they are held to a much lower standard. Gee, it's almost as if my point is completely coherent.
>>
>>17356645
If you were actually military you would see contributions women made and not just have wild ideas you have from /r9k/.
>>
>>17356661
Name one.
>>
Army here. Non-combat job in the motorpool. There are 4 women in our unit and 3 of them are completely useless. Too weak and out of shape to do anything remotely strenuous. I have no idea how they made it through Basic. The 4th is cool though; she actually gets shit done and was recently promoted.
>>
>>17356438
>Im gonna be a medic though.
Thank you for your service. My father was a doctor for the Army, like you aspire to be. However, some things to keep in mind:

>I see this more of a helping people thing rather than supporting the goverment.
Your support may be a little less direct than the soldiers in the front lines, but it is not a stretch to call ut support. Some of those you care for will indeed be going home (or, in a few cases, not), but others will go out to fight again. And even those you don't care for have that extra bit of peace of mind, knowing that you have their backs. You cannot divorce theae two aspects of your job so cleanly.

>Giving up my time and effort and independence seems minimal in what they're giving me in return though.
Just make sure to document EVERYTHING in terms of your length of service, what they will and will not pay for, and so on. Better still to have a lawyer look it over. When the time comes to retire, you will understand.
>>
>>17356513
Fucking redpillers. Leave the cancer in the containment boards, creep.
>>
>>17356677
>Too weak and out of shape to do anything remotely strenuous. I have no idea how they made it through Basic.
You are not allowed to fail them. It doesn't matter how they perform, failing a woman is a punishable offense. Similarly, whoring around on base will also result in only the man being punished. Punishing a woman is also a punishable offense.
>>
>>17356684
I pretty much am using the medic excuse to turn a blind eye to a war i dont support, i guess. Thanks for your advice about documentation. I already fucked up not reading my contract all the way through and lost my bonus.

>>17356677
What MOS do you have?
>>
>>17356694
Don't make shit up.
>>
>>17356658
>Women do not do their jobs well in the military
But that's bullshit bro. Women have performed their jobs excellently in the military. WW2 already had its good share of female officers, soldiers, personnel and intelligence, and they performed great on both sides. The soviets had female snipers and female night bomber pilots. British women were employed in all kinds of jobs that supported the Royal Air Force and the Royal Naval Force, had their own military corps, volunteered for combat duty in anti-aircraft units which shot down German planes and V-1 missiles, and civilian women joined the Special Operations Executive (SOE), which used them in high-danger roles as secret agents and underground radio operators in Nazi occupied Europe. Partisan women in Italy shot down Nazi soldiers using guerrilla warfare tactics and that's how they liberated the northern half before the Allies rolled in. Throughout WW2 women have done a shitton of support, combat and non-combat roles and you can just google it yourself if you don't know about it.
>If you refuse a woman through training you're out of a job
Makes sense if the woman is fit for that training. If you refuse to train a woman because she's not fit that's acceptable, but if you refuse just because she's a woman that's not acceptable. WW2 gave women a chance and they proved themselves efficient, why are you now going on with your prejudice?
>>
>>17356664
Well, OP said she wanted to be a medic. Women have been serving honorably in that role for decades. I get the hostility -you're butthurt over them being allowed in front line combat- but she's not even an example of this thing you oppose.
>>
File: 61007628.jpg (118 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
61007628.jpg
118 KB, 400x400
>>17356694
>whoring around on base will also result in only the man being punished
>>
>>17356697
91L
>>
>>17356664
Lyudmila Palivchenko best Nazi-slayer in WW2.
>>
>>17356664
Though women were initially barred from combat, Soviet Premier Joseph Stalin issued an order on October 8, 1941 to deploy three women's air force units, including the 588th regiment. The regiment, formed by Colonel Marina Raskova and led by Major Yevdokia Bershanskaya, was made up entirely of women volunteers in their late teens and early twenties.

The regiment flew harassment bombing and precision bombing missions against the German military from 1942 until the end of the war. At its largest, it had 40 two-person crews. The regiment flew over 24,000 missions and dropped 23,000 tons of bombs. It was the most highly decorated all-women unit in the Soviet Air Force, each pilot having flown over 800 missions by the end of the war and twenty-three having been awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union title.
>>
>>17356359
If you are here looking for justification something can't be right.

Also the possibility of death is the obvious downside but from a former veteran consider the downsides of having no control over your own life and destiny as a down side. You want to move somewhere new? Too fucking bad you are stationed where we want you.
You are thinking of starting a relationship with someone you met? That sucks you are off to Afghanistan for a year, but don't worry she will stay faithful and wait for you.

You want to take a couple days off and relax? Make sure you put in the paperwork for approval, it will be lost six times and denied at least once, the bright side is after the time passes that you wanted off you will be approved.
>>
>>17356708
what was your overall asvab score? just curious
>>
>>17356744
I really don't remember. I enlisted 7 years ago.
>>
>>17356740
Now that is something I can see as a legitimate downside to the military. Thank you
>>
>>17356504
>camp
Whut. You have no idea what you're talking about do you?
>>
>>17356359
you forgot to add

>be a slut with no ramifications to the benefits list

but here's somethings that may deter you,

>if youre stupid they can fuck you on your benefits
>i think you on a contract so if you fucking hate it youre fucked for a while
>job training doesnt really translate into civilian employement unless you do medical stuff but then again a lot of people give vets priorities
>all the benefits you listed apply to more woman appropriated branches like the air force and navy but you chose the fucking army
>actually all those benefits could be had at MOST civilian jobs if youre at least somewhat attractive which leads me to
>ugly uniform
>you probably dont care about your appearance thus making you an ugly woman thus you being overall fucked in general no matter what you do
>>
>>17356819
I've heard whoring around can really fuck your reputation. If you've ever watched "the invisible war" they talk about just wearing shorts can get you labeled as a slut and targeted. i don't want that.

>got 94 on asvab
>true :/
>i am doing medical training and will be EMT certified
>what benefits would those be? not trying to be aggressive, i am legitimately curious. and yes I wanted to join the Air Force but they weren't offering any medical MOSs
>what job will feed, clothe, house, train, provide full medical care, and pay you
>you right :/
>lol wat
>>
File: Mission from God.jpg (42 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Mission from God.jpg
42 KB, 700x700
>>17356616
Don't be stupid.

The military has two jobs: threaten to kill people, and if they aren't intimidated, actually killing people.

If you aren't on the front lines, you're supporting the ones who are- are equally culpable.

It's a job for amoral morons. They have to be smart enough to shoot the guns, dumb enough to not ask why.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.