[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used to love making art. I'm not the best, but I liked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: nightmare.jpg (29 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
nightmare.jpg
29 KB, 722x349
I used to love making art. I'm not the best, but I liked it. Unfortunately, two things happened earlier this year to make me hate it.

The first was my girlfriend breaking up with me. I feel like I lost my muse.

The second was me giving up my ADD meds. It's so hard to feel motivated now.

This was in February, and I've barely produced anything since. I'm so anxious that I won't make anything good, and so uninspired. I don't want to drop my craft. I can't believe I've been out of the game for nearly half a year.

Not to mention, the crushing worry that maybe I just wasn't meant to be an artist. I feel like I've given up a lot in life to pursue this, and maybe I'm just wasting my time.

I don't know what to do. I just took the last ADD pill I have (found it in my car), and I can't even produce, despite feeling "normal" for the first time in ages. How do people make art without drugs? This sucks. What do I do?

Why am I such a broken failure?
>>
The world is filled with inspiration for the right eyes.

Inspiration takes effort, just like everything else. You already know that there is a lot to hear to see, to listen, to read...

Also, you have an obsession with yourself. Stop thinking about thinking about feeling unwell. Take a step outside of what you think you are and explore. Maybe your old self is meant to die.

I hope this make sense to you.
>>
>>17356105
Losing your muse and stopping medication in itself can be a source of inspiration.
You have to find a purpose to create art, so it has meaning and relevance. Otherwise it's not art.
>>
I'm sorry for your losses.

You may need to take a break from art for a while. Artistic pursuits don't usually interact with breakups very well (yeah, yeah, Taylor Swift blah blah blah, whatever). But this doesn't have to be permanent. Take some time to let yourself grieve and heal up, and then jump back in.

Of course, while this is happebing, you will need something else to do (and I do not recommend more art; we've already seen that you don't have the temperament for that).

The arts and crafts are closely related, but there IS a difference, and I believe that this difference may help you. Look into crafting things, in ways that allow you to continue applying at least some of the skills you learned as an artist, to keep them sharp. What media do you work in?
>>
>>17356254
Digital illustration, mostly.

I was going to do this, but it's been half a year now. A ridiculous amount of time to take off.
>>
>>17356105

You don't need to be inspired or motivated to create art.

You need discipline which you obvious lack.

Can't think of anything to draw? Look at some illustrations you like and recreate it.
And I don't mean copy it but change the perspective, theme, characters, colors composition, ect.

Do some studies, there are always things you can improve on.

''But muh originality''
Fuck that, originality is overated, if you have the skill you can make any concept look attractive.

Your main goal should be to improve so when you do get a good idea you can execute it on a proper level.

Everyones got idea's but only few have the skills to blow life into them.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.