[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My ex gf stole like $200 worth of video games and sold them to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
My ex gf stole like $200 worth of video games and sold them to gamestop. Will gamestop just give me the games back or do I have to go through the legal process to get them back?

What is the proper course of action here?
>>
>>17334224

Cut your losses probably. You know gamestop only have like 10 dollars for all the games. I guess it wouldnt hurt to call them up and inquire.
>>
>>17334224

Did you already confront her about the games? Did you do so over the phone and record the conversation?

If not, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not?

Gamestop can't accept stolen property, but yeah, you'll probably have to get the law involved. It's not going to require going to court or anything, though. It's going to be an officer going to her house and telling her, "you stole your ex's property and sold it. You can't do that, it's illegal. Get him his property back or make things right with him or he'll file a theft report and you'll be arrested. Have a nice day."
>>
>>17334253
I was gonna sell them to fund my PS4 purchase but now I just don't know what to do. I barely get any hours at work and I don't even enjoy living in my apartment because it's shared living space.
>>17334239
Yeah I should cut my losses.
>>
she probably got a good $30 for those games :^)
>>
>>17334224
>$200
upon turning them in or what their retail price was?

>gamestop
she got store credit so she is going to spend it there otherwise she already bought new games.

>get them back?
not at all. it's no different than a homeless guy going and giving your same speech to gamestop employees.

>>17334253
>Gamestop can't accept stolen property
they do. there is no way to disprove it is stolen and once it is traded in or sold, there still is no way to prove it was stolen.

>but yeah, you'll probably have to get the law involved. It's not going to require going to court or anything, though.
sory to say op, this isn't going to work.

>It's going to be an officer going to her house and telling her, "you stole your ex's property and sold it. You can't do that, it's illegal. Get him his property back or make things right with him or he'll file a theft report and you'll be arrested. Have a nice day."
wrong. all this does is invades personal privacy. you have no proof and neither would your cop friend. it's too late anyhow the property is gone.
>>
you have 3 choices

- fuck her up as if she was a guy who stole your shit

- confront her and call her out, let everyone you know about this

- do nothing
>>
Bleach her clothes that will teach her dumb ass not to fuck with your shit
>>
>>17334566

>I don't know anything about the law, but , like, I've watched a bunch of television. Practically the same thing, right?
>>
>>17334760
a lot of that kind of stuff is staged. but then again a lot of it isn't.

a cop wouldn't willingly do that plan unless they were a friend or relative to you. because all it is is an ego booster for you and that cop.

it's out of his reach. he cannot punish someone without even having probably cause.
>>
>>17334796
>he cannot punish someone without even having probably cause.

Parents, please keep your 12 year old children off of 4chan.

This is no place for them to be.
>>
>>17334856
explain then
>>
>>17334859

No one was suggesting that the cop punish her. Cops don't punish. That isn't their role.

Probable cause has to do with performing a search without a warrant, or arresting someone for a crime witnessed by the arresting officer. Unless the officer was in the room when she stole the games, it has nothing to do with this situation.

It seems that what the person was trying to convey was that a cop can't arrest someone without evidence. To explain the situation more accurately, a cop can't arrest someone for a crime they didn't witness unless they have an arrest warrant, and an arrest warrant won't be issued without evidence.

But a cop can talk to a person without having a warrant. You can talk with a police officer about how your property has been stolen, but no one broke in and you have an angry ex who you know sold an identical collection of games to Gamestop. That would be enough for a cop to go talk to said ex and run your version of events past her, and see how she responds. She can refuse to talk to him, of course, but it's likely she would, seeing as he isn't there to arrest her, and it would likely be enough to scare her into getting OP's stuff back or reimbursing him for his property.

If she refuses, it would be pretty trivial to get a warrant out for her arrest, as Gamestop keeps records of things it buys.

And whoever said that Gamestop doesn't have to give stolen property back, you are mistaken. Gamestop cannot keep stolen property, even when they've paid for it. They will, however, go after the person that illegally sold it to them. They have practice.
>>
In America you always have to go through the legal process, but luckily this one is short, as long as your local police aren't dciks.
Go to your local police office (don't call 911) and just explain what happened; that you have some property stolen and sold to a local business.
They might tell you to fuck off and get a lawyer, but they might check it out.

Also, did you spend more time with your games than your GF? Then you deserved it.
GFs are for cuddling.
>>
>>17334936
>Then you deserved it

She cared about her nigger swank social group more than me so I stopped associating with her. She didn't seem to like getting intimate anyway.
>>
>still not going full digital
It's time to move on, buddy
>>
If I recall correctly, Gamestop usually does some sort of process if you donate a huge amount of stuff in the event they're stolen and sold to them, you might as well tell them what happened. If there's nothing to be done, then cut your losses.
>>
>>17334660
Might be fun, I hate when people mess with my stuff. I just want to get my stuff back and move out of this town as soon as it's convenient.

>>17334901
I have proof but I have to talk to the rental manager.
I'll have to see what info I can get from Gamestop.
>>
>>17335703
I'm building a collection later so just deal with it.
>>17335709
I know how important it is to cut my losses.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.