[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I grew up in Europe, but was born to Russian parents in Moscow.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I grew up in Europe, but was born to Russian parents in Moscow. To this day, I feel ashamed of being Russian, for several reasons, including how Russia handled the Crimean situation (while I think even the US were morally dubious, and Russia was portrayed maybe a little bit worse than it deserved, it is by no means innocent). Further, I don't like how Russians behave abroad, the lack of any relevant merits of the country on the international ground (except for the golden science era which is long gone), and how Russians look (most don't even have good haircuts, their sense of style is probably worse than most countries). Also, I don't like the hair color, absence of beard for a lot of males that Russia has (I myself have no beard at 25). Hell, even if you read Russian literature, arguably a historical masterpiece, it's full of "we cannot escape fate", "science vs old bourgeoisie" kind of crap. I don't buy into it, I like the can-do attitude of, say, elite Americans much, much more.
>tl;dr: how do you feel about Russians?

So here comes my question: how do you feel about Russians? Be honest please, and include your nationality if you want. I cannot say I'm a typical Russian, but while I haven't lost the language I lived 25 years denying Russian culture for the most part.
>>
>>17330773
>>>/int/
>>
>>17330773
I'm a Pole, and let me tell you brother, there are moments when I feel similarly about my country, but then I remember it's my motherland.

What I think about Russians? Given our historical past it's hard for me to be objective. My grandfather, who was captured and forced into tsar's army, used to say that one Russian is a golden man, but a pack of Russians is no better than a pack of feral dogs. I'm sure loads of things have changed since. What I suppose is a prevalent stereotype regarding Russians (beside drink and steal thing), is the notion that they are usually poorly eductated, put blind faith into their leaders, and most of them have low culture and a tendency to violence.

Alas, many people think alike about polish folks; I suppose we are perceived as rather shitty nationality.

Anyway, I find russian culture - literature, art, folk music - very interesting. I love your language and I'm trying to study it, for the sake of pleasure, if nothing else. I don't know any Russian on a more intimate level than a casual acquaintance, so it's hard for me to say anything else beside that: what I have observed at the university, Russian exchange students are hard-working and serious about studying, rather timid and tend to keep to themselves, but thank god, they know how to party too.

Also, try reading Polish literature: at some point it was pretty much all about tragic martyrdom and god's will.
>>
>>17330833
thanks for the contribution man. Any specific suggestions about Polish literature? I find the idea of believing in fate extremely displeasing, and would like to understand more how a country or a population can come to that.

Regarding Polish people: I grew up in Italy, so I don't know if I'm objective because Poland is very far from us so we don't get a lot of immigration, which would surely lower our perception of immigrants (most of the time, poorer people immigrate, and they are less desirable and pleasant to hang out with).
I think quite highly of Polish people. A lot of them had a strong belief in God (I am an atheist, but I respect their fervor and passion). Also, the Polish guys and girls I've met were all fairly happy and smiling (a feature Russians don't have), and very kind-hearted. I'd say for me they're much above average. Just thought to share this thought to show you that not everyone thinks that Poland is a shitty country. But this is my Italian culture speaking mostly. As I am not very acquainted with my Russian heritage, it's difficult for me to use that one to judge Polish people.
>>
>>17330773

you're just self-loathing and care way too much about yourself

>I feel ashamed of being Russian, for several reasons, including how Russia handled the Crimean situation (while I think even the US were morally dubious, and Russia was portrayed maybe a little bit worse than it deserved, it is by no means innocent)

very russian attitude to feel personally identified with your nation's politics. surely americans or any other european nation don't take their country's decision at heart, why should you? oh, right, because the west is never portrayed as the antagonist

>Further, I don't like how Russians behave abroad

plenty criminals and other men of very doubtful reputation made good money after the fall of the soviet union -- the circumstance was favorable for scum to flourish, and so they did, and now they're able to travel abroad, and it's not like money makes them more tactful people in general

the ones that made their money honestly are well behaved and tactful, it's just that the idiots stand out way more

that is an old question droog; there's a funny passage about it in anna karenina, but of course it's safe to assume you have never read it because of your superficial assessment of russian literature

> the lack of any relevant merits of the country on the international ground

russia is still the second most relevant language in academia

>how Russians look (most don't even have good haircuts, their sense of style is probably worse than most countries)

it's a poor country with a large population, they all have tv, it's a particular social dynamic -- give them a fucking break. the more developed the city, the better people dress. just look at st petersburg and moscow

fuck, people in croatia, hungary, poland, mexico, argentina dress fucking badly. guess what those countries have in common?

>Also, I don't like the hair color, absence of beard for a lot of males that Russia has (I myself have no beard at 25)

ok?
>>
>>17330901
Hell, even if you read Russian literature, arguably a historical masterpiece, it's full of "we cannot escape fate", "science vs old bourgeoisie" kind of crap.

it's very sad that you're projecting this hard

tl;dr you're just a self-loathing person, very insecure, very preoccupied with your foreign status and your image

you also probably find some pleasure in being so contrarian, so enlightened by your own intelligence

there's plenty to be proud of; it's a great nation, but you can always cherry-pick the aspects that suit you, whether it'd be to fuel some dumb nationalistic sentiment or some flashy hatred like yours

p.s: why do you equate the nation's government to the nation itself?
>>
>>17330901
>russian attitude
A lot of countries identify themselves with their leadership. Having grown in Italy and Switzerland, I can assure you that both countries share the same attitude. A lot of Italian friends who go abroad tell me they share similar feelings of shame when someone asks "why 20 years of Berlusconi?"
>how Russians behave abroad
gross simplification here. It is true that Russia has a lot of criminals, however the ones who also happen to be billionaires are comparatively few. You cannot take them as an example because they're a minimal part of your examination sample. What I'm saying here is that the 'average' wealthy Russian guy (the one who makes 2-4k per month and hence can afford traveling abroad) is rude as fuck in general.
>russia is still the second language
aside from the grammatical errors, source = you?
>the better people dress
my point exactly silly, I come from Moscow and even in Moscow ALL dudes and MOST girls dress ugly as fuck.

Also, I happen to have read Anna Karenina. Assuming too much my friend? Regardless, only a fool uses exclusively books to reinforce his opinions with authority (as you seem to be doing). A good opinion is good because it's based on facts, not because it's mentioned in Anna Karenina

Also, I'm not self-loathing. Read the beginning: I have an identity struggle. Obviously this is not a happy post. But at least it's truthful.
>>
>>17330920
>projecting
It is true that Russian literature bears these elements. If you think otherwise, I feel there is no reason to discuss further as I suspect you're trolling me
>self-loathing
I'm not. A lot of people who move from one country to another experience these kinds of feelings. I guess you have grown up in your country so it might seem that I'm a spoiled little brat. I'm not and I did not choose to leave my home country.

I don't find pleasure in being contrarian, on the contrary, I've been the odd cherry my whole life and I'd just like to be the average guy who lands the average girl in his country of residence without need to explain too much where I come from or why my hair color is different.
I am not 'enlightened by my own intelligence'. Don't know where you gather that from.
>plenty to be proud of
tell me one thing that modern Russia has going to its favor. And not bullcrap like "your girls are beautiful", or "you honor the dead a lot". Genuine stuff. Science. Economic enterprises. Performing arts.
>>
File: 1466919927720.gif (635 KB, 493x700) Image search: [Google]
1466919927720.gif
635 KB, 493x700
>>17330773
I've only actually met six Russians. The first five were some drunken assholes my brother and I got into a fight with when we were visiting Berlin. They were assholes but everyone was drunk, including us and the friends we were with, so that doesn't count. Good fighters tho, handled drunkenness a lot better than we did. (Bit of a tangent, it was surprising how the cops in different European countries treat drunken fights. In London, Dublin, or at home in the US, the cops break it up, throw you a beating if you really deserve it, and throw you in the drunk tank for the night. In Paris the coppers just acted like we were assholes who needed to quiet down and quit wasting their god damn time, but in Berlin those fuckers started talking about doing time!)

The only other Russian I ever met was this model who was doing a shoot with my brother's company and since I was in town he asked me to be her Gopher since her English wasn't stellar. She was super cute and polite and kinda shy but wasn't afraid to tell off an asshole.

I'm not sure how much of their personalities reflect their home countries, but the Russians I've known have been one type of fun or another.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>17330957
>Cute women
>Asshole men
Yup.
>>
I'm Finnish, so I feel like I've been conditioned to be wary of Russia and Russians from a very early age. My country has a very sore history with Russia (as you may know), and gets a lot of badly acting Russian tourists. Going off stereotypes alone, Russians are stuck-up and disrespectful, violent, the men are pampered by their mothers and don't know how to take care of the house. Russia is corrupt and untrustworthy, and seeks to intimidate other countries to their will.

THAT BEING SAID, as I've grown up and studied among Russians, I've come to think that the average Russian is kept uneducated by propaganda and oppressed by their own government. I would never hold someone's country's politics against them, and having met Russian peers now I can say that you can get along with them just as well as you can with anyone else - but keep politics out of it. Most of the Russians I have met don't even know about the complications between our countries, and while that makes me a bit angry, it's not their fault. It's too easy to be bitter about the past, and I still detest Russian politics, but I would never stop myself from befriending a Russian person just for that.
>>
>>17330972
to me nationality has always been akin to the concept of family. And knowing that one of your family members has been treating your neighbors (e.g. Finland, or Ukraine for that matter) poorly just makes me feel angry, ashamed and helpless.

Thanks for the contribution. From what I read, I think I can infer "the premise is not the best but some of my Russian friends are nice". I might be a little insecure or anything, but I am really ashamed, when asked about nationality, to answer that I'm Russian. Sometimes it's a smirk, sometimes it's "your country has a lot of problems". Then of course I can work my way out of this (except with superficial people, who sometimes happen to be girls, club owners, etc.), but I don't understand why I should and should not be granted the same treatment as an Englishman or Italian, or any human being in general.
>>
>>17330773
> Also, I don't like the hair color, absence of beard for a lot of males that Russia has.

Hot. I hate ugly hairy bulky old men.

I'm ok with Russians so long as they don't force me to drink with them. Some can be really cool and smart and others are drug using dickheads.
>>
>>17330773
As a Brit I kinda prefer western Slavs but Russians are pretty chill. Fun to be able to roast them about the shit fest that was the USSR

Thing is though lad. Individuals inform the opinions people have towards a group.
>>
Just remember, being proud of your country doesn't mean you agree with everything your nations government does. Personally I think Russia's policies aren't as bad as the west amplifies although they still have problems. I'm British and I'm so proud to be British but I hate what successive governments have done to this country. Being proud of your country is pride in its heritage and foundations and not so much on the actions of its people and, to a larger extent, the government.
>>
>>17330773
You are part of one the last remaining all white (extreme majority) nations.

Check out London or New York as comparison.

Russia has been through so many trials and tribulations. Communism, Hitler, and one of the most cold places on Earth you all should feel like champions having endured through such hardship.

I would love to visit Russia. Your language is complex and exotic to me. Your women are gorgeous!

Check out Cyberpunk. I am almost sure within a few years most young Russians will be very into the refreshing aesthetic it brings and also a chance to escape the past and connect with others in clubs and the internet.
>>
>>17331358
>being proud of something you took no part in

I swear to God this is why no nationalist can have an IQ exceeding 80.
>>
>>17331358
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read.
>>
>>17331234
literally all women I've spoken to about it in the country where I emigrated as a kid think that black hair and a beard = hot. I don't know if you're a girl or a guy, but it doesn't matter. It's a numbers game and if there is 1 model, extremely intelligent and funny girl of whom you're the exact physical type, chances are you'll never meet her.

>>17331264
True. The problem is that I rarely am the first Russian guy they meet. Typically there was some Russian asshole who ruined it before me and these people I meet, being human, are naturally a little pissed off when I mention I'm Russian.

>>17331452
I don't mind working and well-dressed blacks, I have a problem with minorities that come to steal. London and New York have a lot of minorities but having traveled a fair share I've had the chance to meet a few of the top earners both in London and in NY. Some were Turkish, one came from Bahrain, a few were Italian, one was from Serbia and I could go on. My point being that as long as 'most' expats can behave, I really have no problem with them. So I think London and NY have value added in this diversity. Russia is just a bunch of assholes made even dumber by communism.
I'll check out Cyberpunk. Funny... I don't like Russian women. I grew up in a different culture and find them cold. I think, however, that you can't judge a nation based on its women. You always generally have to think of males to form an opinion.

>>17331471
I consider to be in an upper part of society (hate this expression, it's really lame, sorry), where everyone speaks English fluently, travels and has a good education. My average friend has 2 degrees, or 1 degree + MBA, etc. Surprisingly, a few of them turn out to be a little nationalistic, some are mildly racist. The ones in the female subcategory tend to be more so, even though they wouldn't admit it openly to a stranger (but some have admitted it to me as friends).
>>
so sadly IQ =/= intelligence, otherwise the panacea to all bad and evil in the world would be to just separate the dumb ones from the good apples. Come to think about it, I even think "high IQ friends" (read: would perform well in a standardized test because they've been studying their whole life) are less intelligent than the average barber (but not the average farmer)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.