[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop hating work? Background story >Be on autismbux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: truck.jpg (180 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
truck.jpg
180 KB, 1200x674
How do I stop hating work?

Background story

>Be on autismbux for 5 years because autist and depression blabla
>Suddenly i am forced to work again
>This might actually be good for me, give me purpose, self esteem and happiness
>Feel way more shit than I did everyday doing nothing, talking to no-one and playing videogames

I thought having a job would give me purpose and self esteem and would make me happier but i'm more depressed than ever. I feel like I dont have any free time left which is insane since I still got 1 day off tomorrow before I need to start to work. But every sunday I already start to become depressed for mondays.

How the fuck do I handle this shit? I rather be a fucking useless neet on autismbux because then at least I was slightly more happy.

How do people deal with this shit?

I always thought it would give me so much confidence being a normie wagecuck but I fucking cant stand my life anymore because I hate it so much, the thought of having to be somewhere in 2 days just makes me incapable of enjoying life

I know I am a gigantic faggot and everybody does this but for the love of god send help
>>
Work sucks unless you're working in your dream field, and when you work in your dream field, it doesn't feel like work, just waking up to make money.

Tell us what you do so we can help you deal. I'm 22, have had a job almost without break since i was 17, and I hate more days at work than I like. Until I get into my dream field, little will change.
>>
>>17319791
You don't, from what I can tell. I even got jobs in fields I loved doing things I actively wanted to do, and the very fact that it became an obligation I performed on someone else's terms was enough to ruin my ability to enjoy those things and turned it to shit.
>>
>>17319800
i drive trucks, not long distance, short distances

the hours fucking suck (early start sometimes late start) I dont even make that many hours a week but it just feels like my life is over

also the pay is fucking worthless but its the only thing i'm "educated/skilled" for and i need to work alone so driving is kinda my thing

once im actually working and the day is good its not that bad but its the dread look that fucks my life

still 1 more free day and all i can think about is how i dont wanna go
>>
>>17319812
then how do you deal with it? how do you still enjoy your free day and how can you still make your mind free so you can enjoy your free day and be happy?

i'd rather be in jail at least thats easy
>>
>>17319813
Dude... Apply to one of the waste haulers like BFI, or Waste Management for a Roll-Off position. That shit pays really good and the hours fucking rock.
>>
>>17319791
I worked for 15 years and ended up on neetbux for depression, burnout, etc.

/r9k/ doesn't help anything when they call working wagecucking and mock people for it. but in some ways they're right. most people throughout history don't get the job they really want, but many of them manage to "bloom where they're planted" and find some happiness like you were hoping to find.

however, if you have serious mental illness and are working, you're one of the walking wounded. I was like that for a lot of years and finally just got too old and burned out to do it anymore. idk if or when I will be ready to go back to work.

all I can say is this: keep working and do the best you can. keep learning new ways of caring for yourself. it sucks now but it might get better. no guarantees but give it a year or three.

AND keep seeing a therapist and/or shrink (or start seeing one if you're not) and get your symptoms documented. if you end up losing jobs or having chronic problems with deportment or attendance due to your condition, keep records of all that shit. then if it actually gets to the point where you're not fit for employment, reapply for neetbux. you will have a better case because you actually tried to work.
>>
>>17319816
I've figured out the cheapest comfortable lifestyle I can tolerate and I work just enough to afford it and a small savings for when shit hits the fan. I work less hours than I'd normally need for this, but ensure I take Sundays (time and a half) and other holidays, as well as selling the myriad handyman skills I've developed from being too poor to hire a professional. Lot of coworkers need X fixed or Y maintained, want to know what Z is best for them, etc. Then I put some time away to learn a few minor crafts that sell online and since doing that is my choice on my watch and my dime, it doesn't bug me so much. Doesn't make a lot of money (and even if I sold a lot it would just turn into another job, not a hobby with rewards) but it frees up a shift or two I don't need to take.

I cram as much of my free time as I can into hanging out with happier people and letting it rub off on me, and then when that's too much for me and I need to fuck off and vegetate I play games or come to 4chins.
>>
>>17319813
Man, we're all like that. "Live for the weekend" isn't just a lyric. Today is Sunday. Half of America (or your nation of residence) is dreading waking up tomorrow. You just have to deal with it. Try to figure out a way to make your work days not completely suck. Watch your favorite show after work. Eat a nice meal for lunch. Watch your favorite show or YouTuber or listen to a funny podcast during break/work.

I don't know how much a truck driver makes but if it's not minimum wage, appreciate it.
>>
>>17319826
no idea what any of those are

you mean become a garbage man?

yeah the pay for that is the exactly the same as the truck driving I do, but you make more frequent stops which is more of a pain in the ass

>>17319831
yeah even when i was a neet i laughed at r9k making fun of wagecucks because i thought having a job and being a normie would give you purpose and happyness but i'd rather be a neet on autismbux because then at least my life was safe and easy and that made me happy

i dont have anything with therapists or shrinks or any other people whatsoever

i do have a handful of friends and i try to persue happyness by trying to fuck girls off tinder but thats about it, the rest of my life is sleep, 4chan, work and household chores like groceries and making food, laundry

>>17319832
yeah i try to work 32hours a week instead of 40. I do like 24 hours now and it already feels like too much. I have honestly no idea how some people can work 40 or even 50 hours a week

i'd rather be a poorfag with too much freetime than a richfag with no free time

>>17319835
so its normal to dread this fucking much ?? honestly i cant even enjoy my weekend

my thoughts go like

Friday: Happy
Saturday: Oh shit tomorrow is sunday the last freeday before work
Sunday: God kill me now i wanna die i dont wanna go tomorrow

and all day sucks
>>
>>17319812
depressing to admit, but this is sorta true too. doing what you like on your terms is fun as fuck. doing something you like on someone else's terms is just about as bad as doing something you don't like. I think the people who do what they love and say that it doesn't feel like work, either
>they don't care about the specifics as long as they get to do that particular thing
or
>they're so good at it that they can name their price and their terms and still have plenty of business
>>
>>17319851
or they just lie about it and make other people believe their lives dont suck by saying they like doing it
>>
guys OP here but truck driving here is like the same as minimum wage

there is no difference in garbage man salary or cargo truck salary they all suck hard

im not from america im from a small yuropoor country so driving isnt exactly that relaxing here
>>
File: happy can.jpg (22 KB, 499x320) Image search: [Google]
happy can.jpg
22 KB, 499x320
>>17319848
>i thought having a job and being a normie would give you purpose and happyness
it doesn't. the people who get that from their job are either doing something they like or getting a virtuous feeling from supporting their family/contributing to society/what have you.

>i dont have anything with therapists or shrinks or any other people whatsoever
if you have mental illness and it's fucking with your life, then you should. even if it's just a check-in every few months. you always have the right to refuse meds if you don't want to take any.

>>17319854
yeah that too
>>
>>17319867
maybe i should get anti depressants again but i dont wanna be dependent on meds

the weird thing is i was unfit to work 5 years ago, became autismbux neet and then suddenly after a quick conversation i was invited to they decided i had to work again

i dont think i have even seen a real doctor just a women from the agency
>>
>tfw you tore your bicep and are now in constant discomfort
>tfw you've descended into neetdom after acquiring your stem bachelors
>tfw you're too depressed to start working because every day is already fucking horrible
>tfw you enjoy absolutely nothing in life anymore

I can't handle this shit.
>>
>>17319882
all of this.

kek
>>
>>17319854
samefagging from >>17319867 to add:

companies tend to prefer happy employees or at least employees who appear happy. and more and more employers are actively on the lookout for people who are enthusiastic about their work, even in industries like fast-food service where...yeah you want your counter staff to have a nice smile etc. but it's not realistic to expect them to wake up in the morning and be on fire for the joy of making tacos. but that is more and more what they're after.

maybe I'm being nostalgic but it used to be more that you showed up and did your job and as long as you weren't hostile and tried to act semi-normal, you were fine. I understand that happy employees are more productive and easier to work with, and I understand the importance of putting on a good face in public and at work, because it does make everybody's day a bit easier. but it just feels like they're winnowing out and keeping the high-energy people, and the people who don't have the energy to fake a big smile all day every day are just supposed to go die under a bridge or something. but as long as they have their happy employees then lol whatever.
>>
>>17319924
>
ok thanks but how do i enjoy my life and stop dreading which ruins my weekend how do i be happy to do my job
>>
>>17319927
sorry man, I was just kinda bitching.

if I knew how to do what you're asking, I wouldn't be on neetbux myself. but I was able to manage for a number of years and sometimes be kind of happyish. this is what I did:
>have friends
>pursue hobbies
>cultivate good relationships with coworkers, they don't have to be drinking buddies or come to your house for dinner, but be on good terms with them
>figure out what jobs you might like to have and spend some of your time outside work gaining skills and knowledge that would help you in those jobs
>take care of your body and your mental health as much as you can
>but also allow yourself treats from time to time. set aside a small amount of money each week and use that to treat yourself every few weeks, go to a restaurant, buy a game, whatever
>look for ways to let off steam

so many people do this and it looks effortless, but it takes some work. but I can also confirm that all of those things get easier with practice. it might take a year or two though.
>>
Look every job sucks, if someone tells you they love their jobs they're lying or are self employed (it's kinda shitty, but hey is not that bad). You will never stop hating work, but you can make it more enjoyable by changing simple things.
Wear nice clothing, wear something good that makes you look good (Not saying a full armani suit, but a tailored shirt).
Find a 9-5 job, do not fall for the overtime pay. Do your shit and get the fuck out.
Exercise, find some sport you like or simply walk.
>>
>>17320357
>Find a 9-5 job, do not fall for the overtime pay. Do your shit and get the fuck out.
this, especially if you have any physical or mental health condition that wears you out or saps your time or energy.

when I was working I would sometimes try to do overtime, but if I did more than ~1-3 hours per week I would invariably get sick the next week - either I'd get a migraine, come down with whatever was going around, or just have a mini-breakdown.

if possible, do like the other anons said and figure out what's the least amount of money you can live on and still have room in your budget for your bills and a small amount of savings/treat money. then look at jobs in your area. you might find something that pays poorly but is kind of fun.

I don't know how it is where you are, but in the united states, security guard jobs are easy to do. they don't pay well, but you don't have to do much and you don't have to project super happiness! :DDD every day, which can wear you out fast when you're depressed. if you get a night shift security job, most places let you read or do other things as long as you are awake and doing your duties. honestly if I ever get forced to go back to work before I'm ready, security will be at the top of my list of things to apply for. that or night shift hotel clerk. minimal human contact. they basically just want a warm body there.
>>
>>17319964
thanks
>>
>>17320659
yeah security guard is something i thougth about but

- you need school for it I think 2 to 4 years
- the hours suck ass (many nights and weekends)
>>
yeah after 2 years i'd had enough and went to school to avoid the real world.

the thing that kills me is the insecurity. I worked no-contract shift work where you can get fired at the drop of a hat with at best a 2 weeks notice. how the fuck do people deal with that kind of precariousness for years at a time?
>>
>>17319831
not just mental illness, i'm smart af but can't seem to clamber my way out of crap jobs. neetbux seems preferable in this situation honestly. i seem to have the ideal living situation between a really, truly mindless job that doesn't require too much interpersonal interaction or too many hours and part gov't subsidized living.

desu i started out in the ivy league and would probably be doing something much more interesting and important if i didn't have recurrent (not mental) health problems. such is life!
>>
>>17321484
homelessness is overrated tho. i saved some money, now i work for the lulz and tell asshole bosses to go fuck themselves. there's nothing to fear but fear itself once said a great man.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.