[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alcohol has destroyed my dad's life and he's been sober
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1407458316231.jpg (129 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1407458316231.jpg
129 KB, 900x600
Alcohol has destroyed my dad's life and he's been sober for a couple of years but he started drinking again recently. When I found out he started drinking again I tried talking to him about it but he just agreed with me and tried to avoid the topic. I don't know if I got through to him or not. I'm worried for him and I feel helpless. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>17316570
Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP

Cutting to the chase, I think you need to identify:

>what has caused him to go back drinking
>what was it that kept him clean all this time
>what is it that could make him come clean this time

Talk to him again. Don't let him avoid it

At the very least, remind him of the trouble it caused his life before, and that it's going to be easier to stop and find help to stop now than it is even in a weeks time

If he is sober in the mornings and somewhat understanding that he's on a slope, there's a medication he can seek (disulfarim) that he can take when he's sober, and will make him incredibly, incredibly uncomfortable should he have any alcohol later in the day
>>
>>17316604
Failing that, do what I did at an early age... Stop caring for him. Don't worry for him. Don't feel helpless. Fuck him and get on with your life

I'm doing just fine
>>
>>17316612
THIS THIS THIS

I really hope things work out OP, but the sad fact is that a lot of these situations don't end well and you need to prepare yourself for that possibility.

I tried everything I could to help my dad through his struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction, but it was ultimately all for nothing. I wasted so many years caring for him and completely neglecting my own problems. I now struggle with a lot of mental issues from all those years of stress, and I doubt I'll ever be totally normal.

And at the end of the day, there really is NOTHING you can do! If he wants to drink, he's going to drink. So don't put too much effort into helping him out. Go ahead and give him a few chances. But don't stick around too long if things aren't getting better. Tell him good luck with his life, and move on with your own.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.