[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting university in 2 months. Have 1 more day before the change-of-mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: university.jpg (101 KB, 746x496) Image search: [Google]
university.jpg
101 KB, 746x496
Starting university in 2 months. Have 1 more day before the change-of-mind for switching university courses and I'm stuck.

Two main options:
-European Studies which is basically European history as well as studying two languages.
-combination of maths+history or maths+language

European Studies
-I prefer studying history on my own time over anything else, its fun, and I want to study a language for the year abroad.

Maths courses
-In high school I made lots of friends in maths class, it seems like a much easier subject to bond with people over [spoiler]because it's more stressful and serious[/spoiler]
-Maths was my best subject at high school, got the highest grade, while I got less than that in history and French.
-Miss the banter from maths class.
-From my experience no matter how good my understanding of French was for high school my oral was always shit.
-Language courses are bound to attract more girls, I can't be friends with girls and they're harder to get along with.

I've taken a year off since high school. Was originally set on doing European Studies up until I started reminiscing on the good times in maths class about two months ago.
>>
>>17308463
You're a freshman, don't shit buckets about what you're gonna major in right now. Officially pick up 4 classes in all categories you're interested in, and just visit whatever other classes in that category you're interested in. For most colleges, the first week is a free add/drop period, so make use of it. See what you feel comfortable in, and try focusing on it. If you don't like it, you've got a second semester.
>>
>>17308523
I don't think the American university model works the same as it does in my country. I'm meant to pick a set course, it just so happens that this university also does a two-subject degree where you can pick and choose (which is what I'd be doing if I want to do maths).

I hear it's true that you can go in early on and switch to a different course though, which is why I'm not getting too stressed over it yet. Really I'm meant to have my mind up by Friday though, the other stuff is through unofficial channels.
>>
>>17308547
Oh, I heard British colleges are essentially the same from a classmate. Or are you from elsewhere?

If you want to quicken the choice-making, there's a couple of options.
First would be to go to a forum specific to Math or EuroStud and ask about what they do. For example, I had a choice between mech engineering and math, and I chose math because I found an actuary forum and found the area interesting.
Second would be to go to someone you know that pursued knowledge in those subjects. Maybe ask your parents if they know anyone, or your friends.
Third is to go to some central area (for example, NYC for me) and attend a job fair or whatever there is. There should be something like that at some point in the year, look that stuff up. Go there, ask questions, learn things, etc.

If you can't think of anything, though, I'd say to ask your parents. They've been through all this shit already, so they probably know what works.
>>
>>17308595
I just remembered my godmother's a guidance counsellor so she might be a good person to ask.

My mom thinks I should probably do history + Russian or history + something else because I'd be doing advanced French if I chose to study it at uni. For simplicity's sake I'm mainly just looking at whether I should do maths or not, it wouldn't be too great a leap switching from Euro Studies to history+Russian after first year if I don't like it anyway.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.