[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is College even worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: college.jpg (627 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
627 KB, 1000x667
Is going to a private university even worth it? I've got a year to fuck around right now before attending a university. I'm planning on majoring in CS, but I really want to avoid being fucked over by student debt. I feel like going into trades isn't a bad idea, but I really want to get the fuck out of my parents' house 'cause I can't stand living with them. What do?
>>
>>17272223
>I really want to avoid being fucked over by student debt
Could you not get any scholarships? if you weren't good enough in High School maybe you shouldn't go to college, they practically throw money at you if you are at least average
>>
>>17272223
College is worth it if you can pay for a large portion of it out of pocket. Private universities especially aren't worth it for the common person - you pretty much need to be independently wealthy to justify going.

Trades are a fantastic idea, school is shorter, far less expensive, and you'll probably end up making more than those fresh out of college with a degree.

The problem with trades is the glass ceiling, and the only way to make a LOT of money is through a labor union - and a lot of people choose cheaper labor than unions because of their high costs.

It's really up to you.

If you really want to be a hands-on, fixin' shit type of person, trades are pretty much the way to go. But if CS is really your passion, then don't pass it up.

Keep in mind too that you can go back to school and complete a degree online, or from a local university. If you're really looking to become self-sufficient as quickly as possible, this is how you would do it.
>>
>>17272223
Join the fucking military for 3 years and get the GI Bill. It pays for your entire schooling and books plus a housing allowance.

V/r,
Anon who got 2 AAS, 1 BA, and 1 MA out of the military.
>>
>>17272236
This. If you weren't good in high school, chances are college is going to be difficult as well.

Don't just go and waste all the money because you want to go to college.
>>
Modern day college is a scam unless you're doing something medical related.

If you are, go to college. If not, drop that shit, throw yourself into the field and make connections.

Its all about who you know nigger.
>>
>>17272223
I suggest only doing CS if you actually have passion for it and are REALLY good at math. Don't do it just because the pay and growth look good. Trust me.
>>
>>17272253

this is not a bad option
>>
>>17272359

i'm interested in algorithms, AI, and hacking. i'm strong in math and can code in C and Python. But, I need to find out what I want to do with a CS degree
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.