[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my only parent is dying of cancer and has SSDI income and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1278822732103.jpg (134 KB, 500x791) Image search: [Google]
1278822732103.jpg
134 KB, 500x791
So my only parent is dying of cancer and has SSDI income and Medicaid. They're receiving radiology treatments which aren't covered by the insurance. When they die will I be responsible for the bills?
>>
I am sorry for your impending loss.

>>17266521
>When they die will I be responsible for the bills?
You speak of SSDI and Medicare, so I assume you're in the US. In that case, no: there ARE parts of the world where debt can be inherited, but the US is not one of them. The only debts you can be held responsible for are ones with your name on them (for example, if you co-signed for a loan or something).

That said, you won't be responsible for the bills, but your parent's estate will be. Before inheritance can be settled, the estate must first pay any taxes it owes, followed by any debts that it owes. If it can't finish this, then the government/creditors have to eat the difference -they cannot go after the heirs- but there is nothing left for the heirs to inherit.

Now, all of this said, be careful not to put your name on your parent's loans or bills if you can possibly avoid it. Some unscrupulous folks might try to trick or force you into doing so, but don't do it unless absolutely necessary. This would also be a good time to get your name taken off of your parent's credit cards, if it is on them.
>>
Your picture is pretty cool opie. Why does the fish in sushi have to be raw? Is it always raw? How come I don't hear about people being poisoned from it?
>>
Your picture bothers me. Half of the the "rules" are "EAT IT A CERTAIN WAY EVEN IF YOU PREFER IT ANOTHER"

Like why the fuck does the amount of soy sauce or what touches your tongue first matter
>>
>>17266741

OP here. Its traditionally served raw. Its kept at low temperature to keep bad things from growing into something dangerous.
>>
>>17266741

Raw meat/fish isn't inherently toxic or harmful. If it happens to be exposed to harmful bacteria, that bacteria could make you sick/give you food poisoning, and cooking kills bacteria. But if the meat's clean, fresh and properly stored, you can eat it raw if you want
>>
>>17266797
This is a mind boggling concept to me. Perhaps it indicates wealth or status to be able to prepare and store raw fish safely? Maybe that's the point?

Anyway does this same information apply if I wanted to take a bite out of a salmon? That's as raw as I can think of.

How come animals don't get food poisoning when they eat freshly killed animals? Or even carrion
>>
>>17266741
>Why does the fish in sushi have to be raw?
It doesn't. It doesn't even have to have fish. What makes it sushi is actually the rice. Raw fish without the rice is sashimi.

>Is it always raw?
Not always. Most forms of sushi do involve raw fish, but some do work with cooked or smoked fish of different kinds. And then, of course, there are the things that are not fish, like tamago (egg) or kani (imitation crab).

>How come I don't hear about people being poisoned from it?
Sushi chefs are hardcore about minimizing the opportunity the fish has to decay. No chef will serve a fish that wasn't caught that same day. Some chefs try to keep the fish alive until shortly before it's time to slice it up and serve it. A very few go so far as to carve up the fish while it's still alive, and deliver the meat to you still twitching (this is called ikezukuri, and it has been banned in most places as a form of animal cruelty, but there are still a few places where you can get it).
>>
>>17266820

>Perhaps it indicates wealth or status to be able to prepare and store raw fish safely? Maybe that's the point?

No, dude, it's not that hard to store properly. Americans have just been taught to be overly paranoid about raw food, for some reason. If you're buying your food from a reputable grocery/butcher, it's unlikely that you're buying tainted meat or fish.
>>
>You're rude if you don't eat this food you payed for exactly this way

Yeah let me drop money for sushi then be called rude when I want to eat it the way I like
>>
Thanks guys for educating me on sushi. Can confirm Americans are paranoid about food
>>
>>17266833
>No chef will serve a fish that wasn't caught that same day.
Japan has different customs I'm sure, but this is illegal to do in the US.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.