[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do people drink alcohol like it's a regular beverage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
File: Interesting_alcoholic_beverages.jpg (3 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
Interesting_alcoholic_beverages.jpg
3 MB, 3872x2592
I drank alcohol for the first time this week. I tried lager, vodka, wine, rum and sweet liqueur. I honestly never want to drink again. I got fairly drunk, and it felt good, but alcoholic beverages all taste absoluely horrible. It literally tastes like poison.

I was not expecting that. I knew alcohol had a flavour, but I thought it would just slightly affect the beverage. Every alcoholic beverage tastes like burning, puke and regret. Especially the wine. I thought with wine you're meant to taste the grapes, but I sampled several different wines, and I may as well have been drinking rubbing alcohol. There's no difference.

Anyway, my point is, are there alcoholic beverages that don't have an overwhelming burning alcohol flavour? How do people treat alcohol like a beverage to chill out to? I needed to clear my throat after every sip. I drank everything from 3% ~ 40%, and it's all bitter and burns my throat.

I thought I'd understand drinking culture much better after this, but I really don't. Drunkeness is alright, but the drinks themselves are unbearably terrible. Are there any drinks that are just good drinks and don't feel like every sip is probably killing you?

I might go drinking with my work friends again, but everything I've ordered so far has been a monumental disapointent.
>>
>>17249841
>Every alcoholic beverage tastes like burning, puke and regret
That's because you got drunk on your first time drinking, so of course you're going to associate it with bad things. Don't go overboard and it's not an issue.
>>
>>17249850
That might be a factor as well, but don't forget that many, if not most, alcoholic beverages are an acquired taste.

I'm 30, drank my first beers around 13-14, and a lot of stuff is still completely unacceptable to me because I never forced myself to get to know it better.
>>
>>17249850
I drank on Friday and Saturday. We went to a fancy bar, so as my first drink I just got a lager. It was basically a meal in a cup. If it weren't for the bitter-burning after taste, I would have liked it. I also tried the wine because I always associated wine with good taste, but the wine was probably the harshest drink I've drunk. It was a Molbeek (I think that's how it's spelled). From there, I was on a quest for something that actually tasted good.

Even 3% alcohol is very bitter.

I hear it's an acquired taste, but I'm not all that interested in acquiring a taste for yeasty tasting drinks that leave a burning ssensation in my throat.
>>
>>17249873
Have you tried a sweet cider? Or a spirit with a mixer? Or a cocktail? I'm not a fan of beer or wine, but I like rum and cokes and red wine sangria
>>
That's because alcohol is disgusting. People who 'like' any drink thats over 20% alcohol are either lying to you or to themselves.
>>
>>17249873
I think you would like Midori. It's a 20% alcohol, sweet, bright-green-coloured, muskmelon-flavored liqueur. I am very sensitive to the taste of alcohol (I can't take shots because I vomit immediately from the burning), and I tolerate this just fine. It's even better mixed with pineapple juice.

You could also look into alcoholic sodas. There are some between 4 and 8% that taste quite good; orange and cream soda flavors for example.
>>
>>17249878
The rum was mixed with pepsi, it was the best drink I had, but that's mostly because I was drinking pepsi.

>>17249881
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If I go out for a drink, I want something that actually tastes good.
>>
>>17249850
This. Exactly this.

When I was like, 15 maybe, I drank 3/4 of a 1L bottle of vodka straight, in about half an hour, on an empty stomach. I don't remember anything about that night except the half hour after drinking it.
I was very sick later on and apparently blacked out quite a few times, to the point where my friends nearly called an ambulance a couple of times (which they probably should have lmao).

But, ever since (and it's been 6 years now), I've almost not been able to stand drinking vodka.

Shots of vodka are a huge no for me. Just a tiny taste of straight vodka has me throwing up.
I can have it mixed though (normally with a raspberry soft drink), but too much of it and I get sick very quickly.

Also, most people don't drink alcohol for the taste. They drink it to get drunk.

There are heaps of drinks that taste good, and a lot that taste like shit. But you have to remember that that was your first time drinking any sort of alcohol, let alone your first time getting drunk.

It'll probably take you a couple of years to figure out which types of alcohol, which brands, and which flavours appeal to you the most.
>>
>>17249909
Are you me? I drank about the same amount of Vodka when I was 15 and was puking for a day and a half. Stil hate Vodka to this day.

Love some whiskey tho
>>
>>17249902
Rum+coke is a good drink for beginners since it hides the taste of alcohol so well. Eventually you get used to the taste so it doesn't bother you and you may even start to enjoy it.

Personally I don't drink much but I love shots of whiskey. The way it feels like a flame in your mouth and then a smouldering coal in your stomach was always a pleasurable experience to me. I might be weird though, idk.
>>
>>17249841
Most beers taste like shit because they're a poor man's drink.

Get some nice dry wine or some sweet whiskey and youll have a good time.
>>
>>17249841
All alcohol tastes lousy, but if you keep drinking it you get used to the lousy taste.

So why keep drinking it? Because you want to escape the hard edges of reality so desperately that you'll put up with the lousy taste just to get fuzzy-headed.
>>
Coconut rum. It has a creamy milky taste that you can barely notice the flavour of the actual rum. Tastes good and gets you drunk
>>
>>17249841
We dont drink because we like it.

We drink because we have to.
>>
>>17249841
Apple cider. Absolutely delicious, I could drink multiple six packs of those bottles and forget I was drinking alcohol.
>>
>>17249841

Power through it. Two things are effecting you, you are not used to drinking and because you're younger, your taste buds are stronger. Some beers do taste fucking horrible though, like budweiser. Get a bag of tins, your friends and your favorite albums and drink, or don't.

source: 28 year old Irish man with 15 years drinking experience
>>
Pro tip #1.

Don't mix . multiple different types of alcohol. If you're drinking stick to one
>>
I felt the same when I first started but I just sucked it up and chugged cuz getting drunk was fun af but the taste grew on me and now I love beer
>>
>>17250414
Americunt detected.
>German here
>get on our level
>>
you need to try more different things, red wine with meat, white wines with dessert, toasters etc
highly recommend you try more deeper beers like Franciscana, german beer. Darker beer with a hint of other flavour just is greatn

whiskey, cognac, gin are luxurious and should be enjoyed slowly.

ciders, long drinks, beer and mixed drinks.. find your favourite and stick to it. its not worth wasting time ordering different things if you already know of one drink you can tolerate.

you might love shots, so many flavours, so tempting to take more than you can handle
>>
>>17250642
>Franziskaner
>>
>>17250639
Wouldn't me not liking beer make me not American?
>>
The thing with whiskey, after a night of drinking, having a glass of water will have it activated again and the taste is there, in the back of your throat. Always plan ahead and hope you can drive safely home without getting pulled over.
>>
How to drink :
>order 5 shots of the strongest but the cheapest spirit
>close your eyes and down them

Grats, you're now drinking like an adult.
>>
Don't drink for the taste buddy
>>
>>17249881
ahh man I miss being a teenager, mountain dew is still your drink of choice?
>>
>>17250651
How so? It's totally understandable of you to not want to drink the shit that's called beer in America.
Extending your distaste to all beer while only having tasted shit ones is stupid though.
>>
>>17250723
You make a lot of assumptions.
>>
>>17250657
Really weird trait of you Americans to only drink to get drunk. I usually attribute it to the fact that drinking isn't allowed until you're 21. Hence you abuse the drug instead of using it in moderation.
Would you say I am correct in this assumption?
>>
>>17250730
It's called making an educated guess.
>you're not disproving them as well
>>
>>17250736
I have had "foreign" beer. It's like watered down piss as opposed to salty sweaty piss.

I'd much rather have some stronger stuff with better flavor. Basically anything without hops. I fucking hate hops.
>>
>>17250732
no americans drink to take the edge off, because we work so much harder than europoors

we do everything to the max across the pond, work, drinking, literally do literally everything more than you
>>
>>17250759
And you really believe that?
>>
>>17250745
So you have had a foreign beer and decided that beer tastes like shit because it's a poor mans drink.
>there is beer with little/no hops taste
>you can mix beer as well
>why drink anything stronger than beer
>>
Typically children and women consume drinks which mask the taste of alcohol because they dislike it. Go after those drinks if you want to persist in drinking, but there is no reason you MUST persist in drinking. Like 90% of people drink pretty fucking infrequently, it is only the 10% of people who drink often who will develop a taste for the stuff and only the first few percentiles of those people don't have problematic attitudes and behaviours towards alcohol. It ramps up quickly.

I don't know what country you are in so I don't know what to recommend, but as a child we drank a lot of alcopops, eventually price pushed us towards cider. Getting older and we drank lots of spirits and beer, beer is an acceptable binge drink which can be consumed in massive quantities without too horrific an effect. Now older still and spirits and wine, because the wine is stronger and more 'classy' I guess. Now older still and now back on beer, but often the super strength stuff designed for problem drinkers because fuck it, I'm a cheap old fucking guy who hates his job.

You eventually learn to appreciate and enjoy the hot, burning taste of hard alcohol because you are getting the drug which you have conditioned yourself to appreciate the effects of. Remember 90% of people don't drink that often.

Beer is typically bitter because hops are used to flavour it though lager is comparatively flavourless because it is a mass produced pasteurised product and it is served cold and hops are expensive so they'll use the minimum of a few bittering hops, continental style beers are quite light on the hops as well compared to British or modern American ale styles.

Shit is complex. Yeah younger taste buds are more sensitive. A sweet alcopop these days would likely make me feel sick.
>>
>>17250759
Yeah I'm going to say that I spent 6 months in America (midwest) and found attitudes towards drinking very different compared to the UK.

First off, 'good people' didn't seem to drink except to toast at weddings and things. There was an absence of drinking culture. Here you'd order a beer with food if it is past midday and you are not working, there it seemed very rare unless you were celebrating something. Drinking to get drunk was considered problematic. Public drunkenness was cause to involve the sheriff. Bars contained mostly problem drinkers except on the weekends. Young people couldn't hold their drink and regularly there'd be people who'd just turned 21 come in and drink to the point of blacking out because it was their first time. Lots of people had drink driving stories or injuries. Many people seemingly couldn't hold their drink and seemed to use it as an excuse to behave like insane people, like oh shit I've had 4 beers, time to get crazy (yeah 4 beers is like warming up for pre drinking at home before going out drinking).

That said, I'm sure countries like Poland top the EU charts. They liked a drink over there when I visited. UK has a big binge drinking culture though, city centres are basically warzones on the weekends.
>>
I don't know how easy it is for you to be able to drink that around where you live, but you should try "caipiroska". It's a vodka based drink with lime, tons of sugar and ice. You just squash everything together and drink it with a straw. It's a delicious drink and you won't even know its alcoholic until you're unconscious. It's the most delicious drink for me. Thing is not every barman knows how to do it well. Btw, you didn't drink beer? Lol
>>
>>17250861
Mojito sans the mint?
>>
>I drank alcohol for the first time this week.
>it was ass
i remember when i was 16
>>
Champagne and be done with it. I like Almondage for cheap stuff.
>>
>>17250606
what does mixing do?
>>
>>17250875
>Champagne and be done with it
id rather just take two shots than drink a disgusting glass of champagne
>>
>>17250878
its a myth.

drinking 5 shots of vodka is no different from drinking 2 shots of vodka and 3 shots of henny

chances are you will still be at the same level

the key to drinking alcohol is pacing. Drinking 5 shots across 30 minutes and across 10 will have VERY different results.
>>
>>17249841
It's an acquired taste. Same with black coffee. The first time you drink it, it's probably pretty gross. But after a while, you start to like it better than coffee with a bunch of sugar added to it.
>>
File: 1462355numbers586360.png (176 KB, 275x269) Image search: [Google]
1462355numbers586360.png
176 KB, 275x269
>>17250776
Beer as a mixed drink taste like ass. Why would I want flavored beer when I can have a Long Island Iced Tea?

You drink it stronger so you can take a few swigs, let it hit you, then rake some mlre when it wears off. With beer I'd have to be constantly drinking the piss.

I have had a ton of beer. It's just not for me. Stop being triggered.
>>
>>17249881
It's an acquired taste. I would have said the same thing when I first started drinking just like how there was a point in my life where I could not understand how anyone could drink black coffee.

Now I ONLY drink my coffee black and a neat glass of scotch is my favorite night cap.
>>
I've managed a liquor store for 2+ years, ask me anything.
>>
Did you try drinking something like a long island or margarita?
>>
>>17250861
Lager is a type of beer. I also sampled a Pilsner (just a sip), but I want with the lager because it was less bitter.
>>17251442
What sort of drinks do middle-age women buy?
>>
>>17251442
Do you find the majority of your business comes from regular drinkers who you'd define as having a problematic relationship with alcohol or from people who are moderate occasional drinkers?

I've a place near me and the guy is friendly as shit, but he acts a bit like a drug pusher. If I've not been in a while he'll always be super friendly and ask if sometime is wrong and say I should come in more often or he'll offer me minor discounts and say stuff like he likes to take care of his regulars. Usually I just think "hey the guy is just excitable", but one time I bought three bottles of wine because they were on a good offer and said something like "I only wanted the one, but they are a good price" and he said "yes, come back again tomorrow for another three yes?". I'm all like, fuck man you think I'm drinking three bottles of wine a day?
>>
>>17249841
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4
>>
>>17251451
>middle aged women
Mostly wines, dry red wines. Cab Sauv, Merlot, sometimes they'll get wine coolers like Daily's frozen drinks, or spritzers of sorts

>majority of business
It's easily the regulars. My location gets a lot of out of towners, but it's the regulars that really keep it up. I sound kind of like your liquor clerk, but I'm not near as pushy. It's just nice to see regulars after a break. Some products in my store are high volume items, but if I lost the one regular that buys it almost daily, I'd have no reason to even carry the product anymore.
>>
>>17251423
Sorry but Radler is easily the most enjoyable and refreshing alcoholic beverage there is. And that's the thing: it's a real drink so unlike your long Island ice tea I could drink it all day without any negative repercussions. With your shit I would need to carry around a second non-alcoholic beverage to quench my thirst. And why would I ever want to do that.
>triggered
I just feel sorry for you. But as LIIT is your favourite, you're probably 12 or something so who cares.
>>
File: unrele10.jpg (42 KB, 538x434) Image search: [Google]
unrele10.jpg
42 KB, 538x434
>>17251511
>implying lit is the most underage board
>implying I won't just drink water when I'm thirsty
>implying you have good taste

Sorry familia
>>
>>17249841
>smartass mode activate

Pure alcohol is tasteless.
>>
>>17250414
Youre not from Germany. Bavarians would kill you for that, and guess what. Bavarian beer is the best.
>>
>>17251538
>who's triggered now
>implying beer is not the most consumed alcoholic beverage worldwide
>not understanding that LIIT is lazy for long Island ice tea
>ignoring my point about getting two drinks
>implying that I'm implying
>>
>>17249841
>It literally tastes like poison
alcohol _is_ poison
>>
>>17251570
The same way capsaicin is tasteless...
>>
>>17251582
You're either Bavarian or not German either to spout such bullshit.
>>
>>17251582
German beer is boring as fuck. Good, but once you've had a kolsh, hefe, and a dunkle, you've had them all.
>>
>>17249841
>alcoholic beverages all taste absoluely horrible.

Most alcoholics hate sugar, because it tastes horrible. lol not really, but maybe you see the connection here.

I'll assume that you say alcohol tastes horrible, because you eat a lot of sugar.

I'm not saying alcohol tastes great, it tastes nasty, but it's not as bad if you cut back on all the sweets.

There are a million reasons not to drink alcohol.
Anyone who tells you it's good stuff, is a fucking moron. But at the same time sugar, is almost as bad for you health-wise.
You aren't going to drive on a sugar-rush, and murder people.

PS for the alcoholics trying to quit...
sugar is you answer. lots of sweets help you get over your addiction, and makes alcohol taste horrible. free donuts and coffee at AA meetings
>>
>>17251631
>>17251631
>There are a million reasons not to drink alcohol.
True dat
>Anyone who tells you it's good stuff, is a fucking moron.
Sorry to inform you your AA councilor was full of shit when he told you alcohol is bad in every aspect. Some people can enjoy H and function normally - others get rekt by alc or weed.
For me alcohol used to be a catalyst of social interaction until I could do it on my own.
>But at the same time sugar, is almost as bad for you health-wise.
True dat
>>
>>17249841
Beer is great, an acquired taste for sure but I legitimately 100% enjoy it for the taste and seldom use it to get drunk anymore. It's nice to drink a lager on a hot summer day, or a nice craft IPA in the fall.

Some wine can be really bad, especially if it's cheap or too sweet. But fine wine is quite pleasurable.

Hard liquor is really hard to get into, and I can't blame you for liking it. Same with liqueurs (which are really meant to be mixed anyway).

Much like spicy foods or coffee or something, you kind of have to learn to get over/appreciate the "bite" of alcohol. Some people are naturally more sensitive to it than others, though.
>>
>>17249841
I think it's a bit of an acquired taste, but I still hate straight liquor. Try mixing it, I love rum and cola
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.