[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My girlfriend broke up with me today. She didn't really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 303x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 303x326
My girlfriend broke up with me today. She didn't really want to do it and I could tell throughout the conversation she was on the verge of crying. She said that she felt she wasn't right for me in that she's too focused on her career to really give me the time I deserve. It's true, she turned down a lot of dates and opportunities to spend time with me in favor of schoolwork or personal projects. I always understood, she's a motivated person, but I kind of thought she'd relax a bit with the summer with university not being a thing for a few months.

I think I'll be okay /adv/, but I think it's going to be a while. I'm in love with her and that's not going away for a while. I tried numbing the pain with alcohol but that's not a long term solution, and now I find myself up at 1:30AM with work early tomorrow and writing a sob story to internet anons because I don't know what else to do, and I'll just cry myself to sleep otherwise. She made me happier than I've been in years, possibly the happiest I've ever been in my entire life. I used to say to myself I'd never let any obstacle keep me from her, but I never thought I'd have to compete with her perfectionism and work addiction. She said she wanted to break up because she feels I deserve better than her, and the worst part is she's not entirely wrong. But I love her so fucking much. What do I do?
>>
Don't go back. Don't look back. Yes, it's over. She said "I really love my career and my work more than I love you" in a nice way. If you're not among her first priorities she's not worth it. She won't make you happy.

That said, google for coping techniques after breaking up, but right now I'd advice you to cry a river. Don't numb your feelings, feel them as deep as possible. Grab a pillow and cry on it, get your right to not do a single thing for a whole day, just do whatever, but don't numb your feelings, and for god's sake don't deny them existing at all. Feel them entirely.
>>
>>17246896
I see what you mean, but I'd rather not totally believe it. I think if her career is her first priority, I was her second. Judging by how hard it was for her to do that she had some really genuine feelings about me. Fate is a cruel bitch indeed to make two people mesh as well as we did except for such a crucial part.

She told me she was sure I'd find someone wonderful in no time, but I don't think I'm going to get over her for a long time.

I don't deny my feelings, I just thought a 40oz would make me feel better since I enjoy moderate drinking even while perfectly happy. In the end it was just disgusting cheap shit that I wouldn't have drank if I wasn't between paychecks and got me a couple hours of buzz. You're right though, I do want to feel this. It's the kind of sadness that means the relationship was well worth my time in the long run.
>>
>>17246946
>I see what you mean, but I'd rather not totally believe it.
Denial is a phase of loss.

>I don't think I'm going to get over her for a long time.
Don't, then. Just don't dwell on it for too long or you'll end with a big depression.

>You're right though, I do want to feel this. It's the kind of sadness that means the relationship was well worth my time in the long run.
This is positive. At least you're not exactly sorry about the relationship, which means moving on is going to be easier.
>>
>>17246946
The other anon was right, you need to let out all this raw emotion that you've got going on right now. Do you do anything in your spare time? Video games, instruments, outdoor-shit, good friends that you could use to channel it into?

It's -never- going to serve you in the end if you're constantly too hung up on relationships like this. Granted, they can be serious and it's a shame to see them go, but you have to remember that there is one life to live, and you're certainly not going to let it suck because of a few trips along the way.

Just focus on yourself for the next few weeks and nothing but. Stick to a routine though, as this'll help you when you hit any lower points from this one on, the one thing that'll moderately stay the same.

I give a lot of the same advice because it works more often than not anon, focus on yourself and your happiness without too much need from others. When things take a dive, you'll have the tools to keep it together.
>>
>>17246957
>>17246964
Thank you, both of you. I'll keep your words in mind, and probably throw myself into my job and my D&D hobby.
>>
>>17247011
>and my D&D hobby
I wish lots of nat 20s for you.
>>
File: 1349725537254.jpg (83 KB, 490x358) Image search: [Google]
1349725537254.jpg
83 KB, 490x358
>>17247015
>gf
>D&D
>>
>>17247019
(You)
>>
>>17247011
I really hope this is just someone trolling and not actually the OP
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.