[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a girlfriend of 3 years that has serious bipolar disorder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1446785749093.jpg (39 KB, 445x374) Image search: [Google]
1446785749093.jpg
39 KB, 445x374
I have a girlfriend of 3 years that has serious bipolar disorder that is currently undiagnosed. I had her take some tests and her results were extremely suggestive.

I took the same tests to make sure they were legitimate, and just as one example, when I scored 7 on one test, she would score 47(with 50 being the maximum). She isn't the kind of person to exaggerate things either, I've made the mistake of assuming that way more times than I'm proud of.

How do I convince someone with serious bipolar disorder and chronic depression to seek psychiatric assistance? She refuses to no matter what I tell her and she has refused to tell me why. Tbh, I don't think SHE even knows why she refuses to seek help, she isn't all that good at understanding why she does or doesn't do things.

I've desperately searched for answers online but nothing I've found has helped. She is a great chick too, a lot of qualities that no other girl I've met has, things that can't be learned or taught. Her only real issue is her extreme mood swings, and if I can get her to see a doctor I know they can prescribe something to help.
>>
Only a qualified professional can diagnose bipolar disorder. The "diagnosis" you made is useless. Those online tests are useless as well.
Her "symptoms" could be due to a huge number of causes other than bipolar disorder - both mental and physical.
>>
>>16471354

I am well aware of this, but if someone is scoring 47 out of 50 then its probably safe to make some assumptions. At least until you get a real diagnosis. Keep in mind this wasn't just one test, it was 4, and all with the same dramatic results.

Right now my only goal is to get her to talk to her family doctor about it, then he can tell her what to do from there.
>>
>>16471360
>I am well aware of this, but if someone is scoring 47 out of 50 then its probably safe to make some assumptions. At least until you get a real diagnosis. Keep in mind this wasn't just one test, it was 4, and all with the same dramatic results.

No, it isn't safe to make any assumptions if you aren't qualified to make them. Mood swings could be due to medical problems (ex: hormonal, thyroid, brain tumors, Cushing syndrome, etc.), could be due to a huge number of psychiatric conditions (borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder, schizoaffective disorder, dysthimia, etc.).

You should make her see a psychiatrist if these symptoms significantly impair her day to day functioning or cause distress, but you shouldn't make any assumptions beforehand. You simply aren't qualified to do so.

And once again:
Those tests are useless. They're not designed to be diagnostic tools at all. Most of them were made by incompetent people who had nothing better to do.
>>
>>16471365

Are you fucking retarded? This is exactly what I just said I was trying to do.

Also, what kind of pleb do you take me for? I don't even bring up the idea of her having bipolar disorder, I just suggested one day as a passing thought that she try taking some tests.

Besides, the test have nothing to do with trying to convince her to see a doctor, I had been trying to do that long before she ever took them. All I was doing was using it as a way to show that the issues she is having probably aren't just a woman being a woman.
>>
>>16471381
>I don't even bring up the idea of her having bipolar disorder,

This is clearly false. In your OP, you said:
>I have a girlfriend of 3 years that has serious bipolar disorder

You made huge assumptions which you aren't supposed to make. Only a qualified mental health professional can make assumptions about her diagnosis.

> All I was doing was using it as a way to show that the issues she is having probably aren't just a woman being a woman.

These tests are useless at even "showing" that.
>>
Out of curiosity OP, is she your first long term girlfriend?
>>
I guess maybe I should share a bit more about why exactly I want her to see a psychiatrist.

When I first met her, I always noticed she had this weird tendency to have inconsistent feelings about things. Not like she was indecisive, but more like her reactions to what I said and did drastically changed in what seems like a heart beat.

For a long time I just sort of chalked it up to her being a woman, woman are impulsive human beings especially when they are still young(we met when we were 16 and started dating about a year and a half later).

Over time, she slowly matured in the ways I expected her to. She was tough to deal with at first, but I knew that a lot of the things she did were simply just a phase and I recognized a lot of the same things I remember doing when I was her age. Her attitude became that of a logically thinking adult, she basically "grew up" in the same way I remember doing when I was her age(we are about 14 months apart in age). But the weird inconsistencies in her overall attitude and mood continued.

After about 2 years of dating, she one day told me in passing that her mother had bipolar disorder(diagnosed and also on medication). This, along with the uncanny test scores, are what lead me to believe with relative certainty that she has bipolar disorder.

Now, of course, the symptoms more than anything were what really made the gears start turning.. When I say inconsistencies in mood, I mean her attitude towards life as a whole can be completely different on an hourly basis even if nothing of even minor significance occurs.

We could be watching a movie, and at the beginning of the movie she could be very happy and excited and smiling while enjoying the movie, then I could stand up to go get some water and when I sit back down suddenly she is super upset without any explanation as to why(she even says she doesn't know why, and I've tried really hard to help her figure it out and I've never once found anything resembling a reason).
>>
>>16471386

I'm starting to think this is bait, not only am I agreeing with your points but you are also contributing nothing.

If this isn't bait and you just simply aren't following what I'm saying(or maybe I'm not making it clear enough?) try reading over everything I said again.

>>16471392

Its my first long term girlfriend as an "adult." so I guess you could say that.

I did have a relatively lengthy relationships prior to her, but I don't know if you count relationships with people still in highschool. It lasted about 7 months, really fun chick too, but she had some flaws that I wasn't really on board with.
>>
Maybe you're just a bad boyfriend and she is unhappy with you.
>>
>>16471434

I've considered this as well, very objectively might I add. I am well aware of how woman try to hide the fact that they don't like being with you anymore, they can often be very good at it. I am also aware of how my own feelings can blind me from the truth.

After a long time contemplating this, I came to the conclusion that it could potentially turn into a shit storm for me and her if I started making an assumption like that.

On top of that, what I'm describing has been ongoing since day one and doesn't seem to have anything to do with our relationship. Her brother(who I am good friends with) has also told me that what I'm describing has been that way long before I ever entered the picture.
>>
>>16471352

She's just a dumb bitch being illogical. She doesn't have bi polar and your diagnosis is bullshit, fuck you.
>>
>>16471459

Wew lad, next time I'll make sure to add a trigger warning just for you. :^)
>>
>>16471415
>I recognized a lot of the same things I remember doing when I was her age
>"grew up" in the same way I remember doing when I was her age
>14 months apart
kek
Because of 14 months you consider yourself that much more "grown up"? Honestly, you still need to grow up, that's some teenager bullshit.
However, if you have that much of a problem with her condition and she refuses to seek help (for no reason at that), there is nothing you can really do. You can try setting an ultimatum, but do it in a way showing you care about her.
You can't make her seek help or get a diagnosis though, you can try, and if that doesn't work you can only end it, if it's too much for you.

>>16471365
>but you shouldn't make any assumptions beforehand. You simply aren't qualified to do so.
That's what makes it an assumption. Everyone is "qualified" to assume shit about literally everything. There are no qualifications necessary for assumptions. Chances are your assumptions are plain wrong and you have to live with the consequences, but that's it.
He's just not qualified to make a formal diagnosis.
>>
Bait. Bipolars have more effects then just mood swings. Faggot.
>>
>>16471360
if you really want her to go to her family doctor make sure you go with her. Not only will that give her emotional support, it really shows her that you care. Her doctor will [should] include you in the conversations, treatments
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.