[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>graduated this past spring with a bachelors in comsci >just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
>graduated this past spring with a bachelors in comsci
>just this past week i began taking classes for IT certification
>one of the tasks in class was presenting a project
>mouth ended up not moving fast enough for brain
>tripped over words everywhere
>realize that this may cost me a really good paying job
>this has cost me "socially centered" jobs (ie: retail/nanny/ect) and ruined relationships before
>tried speech training classes before but no luck as its not technically a speech impediment. all they did was kill my self confidence

what do?
>>
>>17241325
See a psychologist. This is psychological, you don't need a speech pathologist.
>>
>>17241334
How would a psychologist help? They can't really "slow down" my brain can they? I thought they just talked about mother issues and helped with ptsd and schizo and shit like that.
>>
>bumping with a little more info since itd be rude to bump with nothing

I'm not a "people person" which is why I chose computers from an early age. I'm hardly emotional at all with dealing with people but, for me, it's a point of pride. Because, like when I was working retail, I would be the only one on a team spending time fixing problems instead of my teammates who would go into hysterics and just rile up angry customers even more.

But when it comes to having to talk to people directly and in-depth, my brain seems stuck in a "machine/logical mode" and the body can't keep up. If that makes any sense. At best, I can keep things brief without too many incidents but then I come off as shy or quiet (or sometimes mentally slow or ill) when that couldn't be further from the truth.
>>
>>17241383
You have some kind of social anxiety.
>>
>>17241647
My money is on this anon.

Also, you may need to create some speech-flow (i dont know how to describe this) in your mind before. It works for me at least
>>
I use to be like that but now I'm the complete opposite. Tool about 3 years though. 24 now. Just know it's possible to get better.
>>
>>17241656
Seconding the pre-prepared speech. I find that memorising speeches and bringing cue cards helps, instead of spontaneously trying to talk about your points.

>>17241383
Also no, psychologists don't just deal with 'mother issues and shit like that', they deal with a wide array of things. You don't have to have a serious mental problem to see a psychologist.
>>
>>17241656
Sometimes I have to do this. Where if I find myself tripping over my words, I have to stop to collect my thoughts a little more. This is where I've come off as mentally ill before because it takes a few seconds to pause and do this.
>>
Am I wrong is concluding that you are Female, OP?
>>
>>17241325
I'm also an awkward speaker and my brother compared me to Dexter (the fictional serial killer) and Dahmer (the very real serial killer).

It's horrible hearing it from your own family so be happy it's people being paid to shit on other people so they can find the best.
>>
>>17242004
If so, OP... (Hell, even if not) go read "Saipens: A Brief history of Human Kind"
>>
>>17242004
What is the relevance to that?
>>
>>17242020
I've been likened to Spock due to how cold I can come off as sometimes. Not so much serial killers. Sorry that's happened to you, anon.
>>
>>17242040
>this has cost me "socially centered" jobs (ie: retail/nanny/ect) and ruined relationships before

>tried speech training classes before but no luck as its not technically a speech impediment. all they did was kill my self confidence

I'm a tracker, and just tryin to see if I was right... That, and it makes it easier to try and fix the problem if one knows what they're talking too.

tl;dr: Women who lack confidence are not the same as men who lack confidence, and neither is the way to work with their personal issues.
>>
>>17242055
That just scratches the surface. Well it's my fault for being awkward apparently, taking such comments for my entire life to heart.
>>
>>17242040
Could be because I had "nanny" as a previous job. Which, yes, means I'm female. Which makes this issue a little more discouraging because women are supposed to be really good talkers as well as being good at being emotionally engaging. Whereas I'm neither.

Sometimes as a joke, I've said I'm male in everything but anatomy lol.
>>
>>17242082
>>17242076
I don't want to start a thing but being a nanny doesn't necessarily mean you're female, did no one see that Friends episode?
>>
>>17242082
Do you ever talk to yourself, alone, with more confidence and strength? (Think along the lines of passion speech to a crowd not present or an individual you hate/distrust)
>>
>>17242164
I mumble to myself when I'm working on computers. Most of which is just as jarbled as my normal speech but I don't take care to correct myself since most of what I'm doing is complaining at myself when I lose a screw or drop a cable behind a desk.

>>17242092
Mannys are a thing but generally they're not as widely trusted. My nanny job was live-in. I needed a place to live and my friend was a single mom that needed someone to take care of her daughter while she was at work. So it went well for a while until I found out my friend had been keeping recipts saying she paid me 15 an hour (I was rarely paid at all in actual legal money. Sometimes I got gas and food money if I was tasked with taking the kid somewhere for fun like Chuck E Cheese's but otherwise fridge access and a bed was my payment.) with my forged signature on them and tried to write it off on taxes to fatten up her return. Which would've wound up with me owing the government and possibly thrown in jail.
>>
>>17242212
It's tragic isn't it? Can't trust men but will fuck over women. What a world.
>>
>>17242251
It is. Considering most mannys are probably more qualified than me with cpr training and childcare certifications and such. But I wouldn't wish that legal fuck-over on anyone regardless of gender.
>>
>>17242040
Oh go fuck yourself
>>
>>17242212
Speak more to yourself, make speeches to those who you hate or love and just go naturally with what you'd say.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.