[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fiance who I have been with for eight years now developed a mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1409259442976.jpg (1 MB, 3207x2200) Image search: [Google]
1409259442976.jpg
1 MB, 3207x2200
Fiance who I have been with for eight years now developed a mental disorder a couple of years ago she has had two pyschotic episodes since then and has been hospitalized each time,. She never fully came back after the first psychosis and has been meaner and more devoid of personality, have to walk on tiptoes around get and can't say anything that will upset her. What should I do, should I stick it out and see if it gets better or cut and run.
>>
>>17236175
It's mental illness, OP. It doesn't just get better. She has to actively try to get better and catch herself in these moments, and probably keep up with whatever medication she's taking. If she slips up, or doesn't care to get better, then there's nothing you can do.
>>
It's not going to get better. She needs to have help, constant and ongoing help in the form of a psychologist and supportive people in her life. And she needs to learn to cope with the effects of whatever illness she has. How to deal with her feelings and thoughts and not give into them by lashing out. She will never not have those feelings and thoughts though.

Try to make sure she gets the help she needs and stick it out as she relearns to interact with the world appropriately. Even if it was a few years ago, this is still quite new for her and she's probably really stressed out by the upheaval it's caused in her life and maybe hasn't gone as far in getting the help she needs as she could. She doesn't just need hospitalization, she needs ongoing therapy in her better periods and possibly medication. Is she getting that?
>>
>>17236196
She's on state insurance and an lra so she is required to go see a counselor once a week (who only has a social service degree) and a psychiatrist every month and a half she is on a ton of meds and is half asleep and distant all the time. The doctors the first time thought it was bipolar the recent hospitalization which was a couple months at a high security hospital due to the voices telling her to kill people they were torn between bipolar, acute schizophrenia and schizoaffective
>>
>>17236219
And before all of this she was normal and healthy it wasn't until she turned 25 that it started
>>
>>17236226
Well, she's not going to go back to being "normal and healthy." Some people just go fucking nuts at some point in their lives, especially if it runs in the family somewhere.
>>
Holy fucking shit OP get out before she murders your sorry ass. Schizos with demonic voices in their heads don't make good housewives
>>
Anon, I have had depression and have it under control with meds. I also attend meetings of Recovery International, both irl and online chat. We read Mental Health Through Will Training by Dr Abraham A. Low, Recovery's founder. I have tools I use to deal with everyday life. It really helps. Their website is recoveryinternational.org. Hope she is better soon.
>>
>>17236365
OK sounds good I will look into it with her the hardest part is keeping her on meds and seeing someone.
>>
She might never come back OP. BUT i knew someone this happened to. The poor girl was somewhat catatonic and on shitloads of meds. but after a few years she gradually 'woke up', i don't know how to explain it. She's not the exact same as before, but i actually like her better now. She still has moments where she has to put her hands on her head and go into a quiet room. But I think hers was a rare case because mental hospitals are sadly full of people who never came back.
>>
>>17236482
Her mental health is her "supreme goal" as we say in recovery. Without it she can't do anything. So she needs to make sure she takes her meds and sees her doctor. You can try to help but you can't control what she does.
>>
All these idiotic comments about recovery being impossible... I had a psychotic episode in 2014. I thought people were trying to kill me, and that I had parasites. I recovered from that, and depression, anxiety, and PTSD through repeated efforts. It CAN be done.

Have a frank conversation with her about how her personality change has affected you. Use your knowledge of how she reacts to things to guide what you say, and be gentle. Buy her the book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. Insist that she read it. Buy "Feeling Good Together" for yourself, and share it with her when you find it appropriate.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.