[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I just give up on engineering?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1457194084729.jpg (21 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
1457194084729.jpg
21 KB, 352x352
hey /adv/ I really need help.

>21 year old 3rd year electrical engineering student
>just failed circuits 1 with a D which was due to a lack of mental capability and a lack of studying (the professor revealed how much extra credit everyone in the class did/attemped and I did the least)
>in the past I have failed(and retaken to pass later) calc 3, and nearly failed thermodynamics but got a pity C
>also I have become incapable of studying unless on adderall

Is it time to just throw in the towel? I just invested the last 2 and a half semesters of my life on it but honestly I've never had a passion for it(or any other major). If I do dip out, what would I even do with 2 years of engineering credits? Would it be worth graduating late? Or should I take summer classes and C my way through college?

fugg bros im in tears
>>
>>17206429
Just be yourself.
>>
How long do you have to go? If it's less than a year, finish it
>>
>>17206429
First thing is you need to set aside the addy and care for your body, exercise and eat well. College students have notoriously bad health and sleep patterns for a reason and what you're doing is not helping your studies.

Second you need to finish your courses. There is no other great option anon. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and finish what you started. Nobody feels passionate about a job after college but studying opens up other doors so you don't have to worry about unemployment and poverty.

If this its truly not possible do not fret. Im 21 and have nothing to show for it. Don't worry about finishing late as long as you choose a practical study path and finish it. There is always a way to change your situation and this is not the time to worry about money spent.
>>
From your post you make it sound like you aren't putting in the effort or there are other factors preventing you from focuisng. I took Calc 3 and thermo and 2 other 5 unit classes and got all As and Bs but I studied everyday and went especially hard on the weekends and I still feel like I didn't do enough. So just work harder and get off 4chan at least until you've done everything you need to do but I would advice getting off the internet and TV as much as possible.
>>
Newlygrad here,

I went through a couple years when I failed all my classes. I discovered after two or so years of failing that the main reason for my struggles was that I didn't have a reason for being in college besides "so I can get a good job", and that reason is no good, because I couldn't buy into it. I couldn't buy into it because it was just a saying. It wasn't anything that painted a clear picture of my future in my mind. That shitty reason left me trying to get to an unknown destination without a map. No wonder I couldn't get anywhere.

I saved myself by painting that picture, thinking a lot about what my future should be, and that process turned out to be a lot like choosing your party in Pokemon or choosing your equips in an RPG, where you spend hours and hours studying every little thing in order to make the best choices.

From that I got my thorough reason for going to college, and I became a passing student overnight, and anytime in the future when I may have been feeling down because of the grind of school, I'd revisit that picture, and it would give me the energy to keep going.

>>17206429
You say you didn't have the mental capacity, eh? That was never my problem. During my failing time, I was majoring in physics, and the work was always easy if ever got started on it, but I just couldn't ever bring myself to start it. It was the most frustrating experience.
>>
>>17206429

You also say you never had a passion for EE. When I was thinking about my future, I decided my passion was storytelling. I wrote books when I was kid, filmed movies, told long stories with my toys, etc. I was inspired by great stories like Beast Wars. Great stories were so precious to me that I've always wanted to return that gift to future kids. I think a good story makes a person's whole life better.

But I sure as fuck wasn't going to college for storytelling. I could pursue storytelling on my own. I didn't need college for that. What I needed college for was funding my passion, so I settled on a path that would be well paying, required minimum schooling, had plenty of jobs (so that I could get employed despite not having a passion for it), and whose work I could get some satisfaction from even though I wouldn't be passionate about it.
>>
>>17206451
2 years and summer classes

>>17206476
thanks dood, I need to spend these next few days deciding whether or not I wanna finish it up. My school doesn't have a general counselor really so it's hard to get an unbiased opinion on what I would do if not this stuff. I only started it because people have told me it's a practical thing and I had nothing else in mind.

>>17206478
yeah I didn't really work hard at all man, I just feel completely incapable of studying because I honestly don't look forward to a field where I sit in a room on PSPICE or working with hardware all day. and this isn't a new thing, I've been unable to study for as long as I've been in college. And yes, I have way too many distractions like LoL and jerking off because there are no girls in my classes.

I'm also just not grasping a lot of physics concepts on a fundamental level is the thing, I've always been incredibly bad at physics despite being good at other sciences and programming and shit.
>>17206695
Exactly my problem. I live with my parents and have never had a problem with money, and my parents never pressured me to leave so it feels like I could just live here forever and play games all day. My problem is that I don't give a fuck about my future at all and I'm setting myself up for failure.

also to be honest, in higher level courses where most people are seniors, I just feel completely out of place. The thermo class I almost failed had a very old professor who used an ancient projector and notes. He said at the beginning of the semester that "if he could see we we're trying, he would pass us" and he would always put up the test grades and I was the lowest in almost every one of them passing only out of pity. There were people I'm positive studied as little as I did yet completely understood it from just the lectures whilst I was entirely dumbfounded.

I was thinking of switching to Comp Sci but from what I hear you don't need the degree.
>>
>>17206736
>I was thinking of switching to Comp Sci but from what I hear you don't need the degree.

No one needs a degree for their passion. They can pursue it on their own. But, if it's not your passion, a degree is extremely useful as leverage for getting a first job. It's also a good motivator for actually studying the material you don't care about.
>>
Two years left? Thats plenty of time to finish it all, how well do you know your classmates and can you get their notes on the courses you failed at?

Do be scared of failure, it will change with time
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.