[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian here. I want to purchase something for a conventio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: hope.jpg (88 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
88 KB, 1024x512
Canadian here.

I want to purchase something for a convention I'll be attending later this summer. The trouble is that this item costs 560$ USD and roughly another 70$ for shipping.

Does anyone have any advice to keep costs for getting the item shipped/imported to Canada low? What is my best option in terms of a currency exchange to purchase the item? People I have asked suggested going to pick it up in the US, but that won't be an option.

Pic unrelated

Here is the item for reference
http://compositeeffects.com/mystore/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_63&product_id=114
>>
>>17191715

You can afford $600 for a fucking mask but can't drop $70 on shipping then you shouldn't be buying it...
>>
>>17191723
More concerned about the conversion costs and import fees than shipping.

Was hoping to get some insight from others who have made big purchases from the US, and then had them shipped to Canada
>>
>>17191715
>>17191715
>Does anyone have any advice to keep costs for getting the item shipped/imported to Canada low?
My wife is Swedish and we live in England. When she wants something from Sweden and we're not going there any time soon she asks her mum to either buy it in person or have it delivered to the house in Skanderborg. She then sends it to us via postnord sverige (the regular post office, rather than a courier) with the customs label marked to show the package as a gift. Although the delivery time jumps from two days to a week or so, it drops the shipping cost by about 70% and does away with VAT/import duty all together. The only time it's backfired is when I paid for a neclace we'd seen there on my credit card and had it sent to her mum's house. She put the package in an envelope and sent it to me. Customs decided to open in, and when the saw the commercial packaging and a sales reciept with my name on it I had to pay import fee's, VAT and a hefty fine so I ended up paying about £800 ($1170 US) for a £350 ($510 - everything is ludicrously expensive in Sve) neclace. Anything we buy now I paypal her mum the money and she buys it on her card, to reduce the paper trail a bit.

Whilst it's different borders you're crossing, the principle should work the same as long as you know someone relativley trustworthy in the US.
>>
>>17191884
Thank you
>>
File: 1464188828237s.jpg (2 KB, 100x125) Image search: [Google]
1464188828237s.jpg
2 KB, 100x125
kys fag
>>
Watch the exchange rate over a week or two. Buy when it is the best value
>>
>>17192085
?
>>
>spending 600 bucks on a rubber mask you're going to wear once

I try really, really hard not to judge people on here. But unless you're rich (which you're not because you're trying to cheap out on delivery), I just can't fathom this. Why?
>>
Final bump
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.