[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Europe (particulary Southern Europe) import so much Anime,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: dragonballtv.png (2 MB, 1185x712) Image search: [Google]
dragonballtv.png
2 MB, 1185x712
Why did Europe (particulary Southern Europe) import so much Anime, while America did jack shit until the Pokemon marketing machine came along in 1999?

Despite the weak economic climate of Italy, Spain and France, they licence just as much as the US does, with English being the world language.
>>
France and Belgium are the world's second and third consumers in terms of manga, as far as I know; more consumers, more licensing. And the "manga" culture exists in France since decades, not in the US.
>>
American companies could just outsource to Japanese studios to get what they wanted made, which was somewhat more expensive than localization, but it was many times more lucrative to merchandise in a world where the internet doesn't exist and therefore easier to create a lasting brand and bring in the big bucks.

Shows like TMNT, Transformers, Care Bears, and Inspector Gadget were principally produced in Japan.

They didn't localize as much because they wanted more money from merchandising, which wasn't as much of an option for the comparatively poorer licensing/distribution companies and TV networks of those countries.

Though Spain, Italy and France did collaborate with animation studios in Australia and Canada quite a bit, super fucking rich Japan during the 80s was too $$$ for them.
>>
>>134791782
The fuck are you on about? America has been importing since the 1960s. Speed Racer, Gigantor, Astroboy, and Kimba the Lion, were all popular titles that paved the way for everything that followed.
>>
>>134792378
It is.
>>
>>134792442
Not even slightly. Stop trying to defend your shit thread.
>>
>>134792147

That is just animation tough...kinda like grunt work. All the creative work of stuff like TMNT is US based.

Europe had animation from all over the world. US cartoons, Anime and also some cartoons on their own.

Europe had true creative collaborations with Japan like Wicky the Vikings, Calimero and more.

>>134792233

But that was it. The 70's, 80's and 90's were very dry in imports.

No Lupin III, City Hunter, Saint Seiya, Urusei Yatsura, Kimagura Orange Road, Sports titles, Shoujo titles, various Mecha titles, World Masterpiece Theatre titles and so much more.

Just as a comparision, here is the Anime aired in Italy:
http://desustorage.org/a/thread/134294768/#134299196
>>
>>134791992
Watching French television introduced to GTO
>>
File: ahQmywS[2].jpg (106 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
ahQmywS[2].jpg
106 KB, 800x569
>>134791782
I can only speak of France. If I'm not mistaken, anime isn't all that big in France compared to manga. That's because France already had a booming and varied comic industry since at least the 50s, allowing manga to roll in easier. The Franco-Belgian comic book market is also a lot less restricted than the American one where you have to be either Marvel or DC to get a significant following.

As for France's "weak economic climate", I think the anime boom happened during the Trente Glorieuses, or the 30 years after WW2 where the French economy boomed like never before.

tl;dr: France and Belgium (and I guess to a lesser degree Spain, Italy and Latin America) have more of a non-capeshit comic book culture.
>>
>>134792378
>>134792484

samefag
>>
>>134792582

That Dragon Ball only got popular in America with Z is pretty shameful.
>>
>>134792582
You weren't kidding; that's an insane number of imports.

It probably has to do with the native industry. If Italian animation started out weak, television channels would have looked elsewhere for shows. Their main options would have been American or Japanese.

I'd guess from that point, one of the first introduced anime hit it big or someone found that the licensing costs for anime was better than the American shows. That caused the Italians to continuously import until anime was well established.

>>134792999
The history of DB in America is kind of funny. They tried to bring it in the 80s but test audiences didn't like it. When they brought it back in 1995 along with Z, both were cancelled relatively quickly.
>>
>>134792582
>Europe had animation from all over the world.

Maybe your part of Europe. All we had in the 80's was Maya the Bee and Nils Holgersson.
>>
Because of their anti-japanese propaganda during the war. You don't say people are subhumans then let their culture in.
>>
Korea imports tons of anime while they loathe Japan. Why?
>>
>>134793219
And now the /pol/ thread has really started.
Where are the mods?
>>
In France, anime started booming in the late 70's/early 80's with TV program Récré A2, they got to broadcast Grendizer and Harlock that started the whole machine.
There was also some Tezuka animes that got broadcasted on french TV in the early 70's but they didn't known Grendizer's huge popularity at the time.
Then in 1987, Dorothée, a Récré A2's presenter along 4 other presenters, moved to private TV station TF1 making based Club Dorothée (which was basically Récré A2 but a lot better) that lasted 10 years. After trying to compete with Club Do, Récré A2 died soon after in 1988.
>>
>>134791782
What does the picture say?
>>
I bet Chiraq was a huge weeb.
>>
>>134795429

TV ratings of Dragon Ball
>>
>>134795747
For what year? When it originally aired?
>>
>>134795789
Yeah on national television
>>
>>134793184
That's anime though. A thing most people don't realise is that a lot of stuff that aired in Europe between the 70s and the 90s was anime that was either heavily-localized or co-produced with European studios.

>>134793829
Dorothée was the face of Récré A2, no shit it didn't survive with her on TF1. The issue is, after the end of Club Dorothée, AB Group decided that putting stuff on national TV wasn't worth the hassle so they began airing anime on the cable. The only other offer was on Canal+, who didn't air it on its free-to-air block until 2004, I think? It was with GTO, or Excel Saga.

France 5 had a child programming block at noon, they usually aired old shit. It's pretty much the generation that's currently in high school that's the first to not being able to watch anime on tv without having to pay a fee. Thanks Kazé.
>>
File: Chloe.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Chloe.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
>>134795668
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France%E2%80%93Japan_relations#Franco-Japanese_relations_today

>Chirac has visited Japan over 40 times, probably more than any other world leader outside of Japan, and is an expert on the country.

HON HON FROU FROU JACQUES CHIRAC KARAAGE
>>
Lepen will ban anime and manga
>>
File: le kebab removal face.jpg (24 KB, 400x318) Image search: [Google]
le kebab removal face.jpg
24 KB, 400x318
>>134795857
Tu mentes, Mahmout. Le Pen will remove kebab make ze anime et ze manga real, and will start une Académie Militaire des Mechs pour des Lycéens with ze protagonist being une mignonne Japonais haafu. Je le jure sur la patisserie de mon père!
>>
File: little-el-cid-no-bouken-4061.jpg (28 KB, 290x384) Image search: [Google]
little-el-cid-no-bouken-4061.jpg
28 KB, 290x384
>>134791782
Spain has collaborated with Japan in the past and made anime series based on spanish heroes, like Little El Cid no Bouken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmCMG9Gm1I
>>
File: 1450183341606.jpg (559 KB, 1185x668) Image search: [Google]
1450183341606.jpg
559 KB, 1185x668
>>134795429
Here you go, anon.
>>
>>134796554
Thanks m8

>kiwi generation
The fuck
>>
>>134796582
>A Japanese TV show on Fuji TV named Shōgeki! Sansedai hikaku TV Generation tengoku Bangumi kihon jōhō has recently ranked the ten best Shounen Jump! manga according to the number of impactful or memorable scenes that readers from three different age groups can recall.
>The three different age groups were termed the “Banana generation” (readers in their 50s or 60s), “Kiwi generation” (30s or 40s), and “Mango generation” (10s or 20s).
http://sgcafe.com/2013/08/top-10-most-memorable-shounen-jump-manga-series/
>>
>>134796698
>Mango generation
....is this where the mango in "animu and mango" came from or is it just a coincidence?
>>
>>134798003
Absolutely not related.
>>
>>134796005
Dont forget Dogtanian
>>
>>134791782
It's really simple actually, anime were just much cheaper to buy than american cartoons and TV shows.
That's it.
>>
For Italy this don't applies anymore: the anime market is pretty much dead. Less so for streaming(with 4/5 simulcasts and some random latecast) but surely for the BD market the new releases are very few.
>>
>>134792890
If I recall the last time I went to Paris (2014,) one piece posters and advertisement were all over the place in your subway. Well France has the biggest anime con in Europe afterall.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.