[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i was talking to my cousin about anime today and i showed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1460352297515.jpg (2 MB, 7883x3170) Image search: [Google]
1460352297515.jpg
2 MB, 7883x3170
so i was talking to my cousin about anime today and i showed her images of gurren lagann, then she says
>ho, i don´t watch mecha.
why is this a thing?

that´s like not watching berserk because it has swords in it.

so why is this acceptable with mecha?
>>
>>144287247
Personally, I don't watch a show if it's entirely based around mecha simply because the secret /k/ inside me will sperg out every other second.
>>
>>144287469
yes but most people who say they don´t watch mecha haven´t ever even seen any mecha shows to know if they like them or not
>>
>>144287469
Most people don't have an inner /k/ommando. more so one's that can't control it to suspend disbelief
>>
i dont like mecha because it looks fucking retarded
>>
>>144287247
I like a lot of anime with mecha in it, but I specifically avoid "mecha anime," which is to say, stories written for the sole purpose of advertising some toy company's robot figurines, as I find it almost always lacks originality and any kind of substance.
>>
>>144287818
Preconceptions, nigga.

To borrow examples outside anime, I know that I wouldn't for the life of me watch chick-flicks like Twilight and The Fault Is In The Stars or whatever the title was. I could never watch harem shows either, because the very concept of it is tied closely to the concept of a steaming pile of shit in my head.

Now, whether all chick-flicks and/or harems are shit is irrelevant, and I'm sure that there are interesting works within the genre. However, I just don't want to bother with it.
>>
>>144287954
So do you not like anything overly fantastical? Superpowers and magic and all that stuff.

Not trying to be passive-aggressive, I'm genuinely curious. I can't imagine what would make one okay and not the other, unless you just prefer realistic settings.
>>
Real fags.
They don't like the idea of a X meter tall robot doing things so they dislike it because it isn't realistic.
>>
>>144288096
but i don´t get how mecha is considered is on genre because gundam has nothing to do with gurren lagann, just like berserk has nothing to do with blue exorcist just because both have MC who use swords
>>
>>144288155
i like them, easier to suspend disbelief with magic actually
>>
>>144288285
is that because we have robots in real life but no magic?
>>
>>144288275
A giant robot is the main focus of the work, and will have metric tons of screentime. The details doesn't really matter when you've already biased towards not liking it, it doesn't even have to be a conscious preference too.

Is it dumb? Sure. Does it happen? Yes, and I'm also guilty of it to some extent.
>>
>>144288393
i dont really buy the idea of humanoid robots
>>
>>144288415
but there are human shaped robots, they are really lame but they exist
>>
>>144288589
meaning vehicles, not actual robots (though those are still kind of stupid outside of novelty value)
>>
>>144288589
HA HA HA THAT IS FUNNY, ROBOTS ARE NOT LAME, TAKE IT FROM A PERFECTLY AVERAGE HUMAN MALE.
>>
>>144288054
>he says while im sure hes watched NGE a show designed from the ground up by ripping off several super robot shows
>a show designed to sell Rei & Asuka figurines and bodypillows
>the entire reason so many identical moe/ecchi/harem shows are made is to sell stupid otaku products with the character slapped on them lazily

Being a hipocrite is one thing but being an ignorant one is inexcuseable
Guess youll never enjoy amazing and original anime like Gundam 0079, Ideon, VOTOMS, Mazinger, Getter Robo, etc
And all of these shows mentioned were the 1st if their types and copied many times by others. Yeah so fuckin unoriginal
I fuckin hate how pleb this place is. Drop a colony on /v/ crossboard scum. Watches the same show with a new coat a paint multiple multiple times per season and dares to utter this bullshit about glorious robots
>>
People who say they don't like mecha just haven't watched any good mecha.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.