[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The closest an anime has come to being Shakespearean.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10
File: Gundam-F91.jpg (67 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
Gundam-F91.jpg
67 KB, 600x385
The closest an anime has come to being Shakespearean.
>>
I absolutely 100% unironically agree. Tomino is the japanese Shakespeare.
>>
>>144267735
this,f91 has many problems, but it gives of a strong Shakespearean vibe and aesthetic.
>>
File: Carozzo_Ronah.png (596 KB, 1280x691) Image search: [Google]
Carozzo_Ronah.png
596 KB, 1280x691
>>144267297
>The closest an anime has come to being Shakespearean.
I can weirdly see this point, but realistically, F91 was the closest an anime has come to being Star Wars instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdyOO01HFo
>>
>Afterimages with mass?
>>
>>144267297
This was trash.
>>
>>144267297
This movie was pure ass, what a waste of good animation.
>>
File: 235456.png (566 KB, 1280x691) Image search: [Google]
235456.png
566 KB, 1280x691
Best gundam girl.
>>
>>144269357
what did you think Shakepearean implied?
>>
File: grin_gundam.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
grin_gundam.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>F91
>Good for anything other than animation and MS designs
>>
I really don't want to make another thread about Gundam so I'll ask here.
Is Seed and Destiny worth watching?
My only full experience with Gundam was Wing but I do like mechs.
>>
File: 1405737116134.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1405737116134.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>144272091
>Is Seed and Destiny worth watching?

I want you to imagine several dozen posts of nothing but this question quoted, accompanied by pictures of smug or laughing anime girls.

Once you've gotten past that, just watch fucking Turn A or G Gundam, or even the OG series and its related seasons from the late 70s to mid 80s.
>>
File: how to get into gundam.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
how to get into gundam.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3402
>>144272091
>Is Seed and Destiny worth watching?
SEED is a 6/10 maybe a 7 at best
Destiny though,that becomes an absolute masterpiece of a trainwreck by episode 35 or so and the rest is history.
However out of the TV Seed anime Destiny's first arc was pretty good and serves as the setup for the Stargazer OVAs which are brilliant even though they spin-off from the worst iteration of gundam.
If you can make it through SEED I'd finish the first Arc of Destiny just for Stargazer and drop it there,but if you want to experience the full thing I guess you might as well get it out of the way.

Or you could check out 00 which is pretty good and seen as the best starting point for someone trying to get into modern gundam
>>
>>144268037
It's not just F91. Most of his stuff is like that. It must be the mommy issues.
>>
>>144267297
What about an anime that actually adapted one of Shakespeare's plays?
>>
>tfw late uc isn't popular
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (275 KB, 1500x947) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
275 KB, 1500x947
literally the best gundam
>>
>>144272809
G-self perfect pack is that one kid who would come to the playground and come up with some "nuh,uh you didn't get me because I have invisibility and black hole powers" bullshit
I like it, it's just stupidly overpowered.
>>
Is there any Gundam with retarded OP powers?
Like country blasting and upwards?
>>
>>144273927
G Gundam. Half the time they don't even need the Gundam.
>>
>>144273949
What is the fucking point then?
>>
>>144273976
It's a joke that exaggerates the nature of the show, my man, lighten up.
>>
>>144272809
>Runs on battery packs, not a black hole
>Only can shut down a battlefield, not the entire solar system
>No nanomachine tech
whatever you say, anon
>>
>>144274012
I don't really have a way to know commentary by a series I've never watched dude.
>>
>>144272943
no that's the Turn A
check /m/ and you'll see the eternal Turn A wank (I still love both)
>>
>>144274077
see wank here>>144274055
>>
>>144274077
So if I want OP I should watch G Gundam and Turn-A? Got it.
>>
>>144274120
G-Self isn't from G Gundam, it's from Reconguista in G
>>
>>144274175
Uh, wtf?

G Gundam is a series and Reconguista in G is another one, is that it?
So many Gs
>>
>>144268823
Man that score ripped off so many different pieces of music, I'm surprised there wasn't a law suit.
>>
>>144274271
there's also G-saviour
>>
>>144274271
>>144274323
And Gunpla Builders Beginning G
>>
>>144274323
>>144274372
You're just jerking me now.
>>
>>144274419
no we're not,in fact we're forgetting a lot more and look up G- saviour
>>144274372
I loved that one
>>
>>144274419
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Saviour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Suit_Gunpla_Builders_Beginning_G

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=g&fulltext=Search
>>
I'm in the middle of Turn A myself right now. Gonna watch MSG after and then After War Gundam X. These are actually my dvds/blurays I've been watching. Good experience so far.
>>
>>144274499
I'm just looking at the wiki gundam page and this shit is extremely disheartening.
It is too much stuff.
>>
There's like 5 time lines? The fuck?
>>
>>144274636
r u dum
>>
>>144274636
Sorry. 10 timelines.
>>
>>144274555
It really is,I've been on this trainride for 7 years and still haven't seen it all

>>144274636
The UC is the main time line
Everything else is Alternate realities,however they all converge and will end in the C.C. timeline.
>>
>>144274636
No, that'd be stupid. There's like 9 or 10 now
>>
I unironically liked ZZ from beginning to end
>>
>>144274742
>converge
Is this true or fan stuff?
>>
stardust memory literla worst gundam, even fucking G savior was at least funny, stardust memory cant even survive off its amazing animation cause of how much potential it wastes
>>
>>144274833
>>144274742
The subject was never touched upon other than that Turn A was meant as a finale to all Gundam series before it at the time. It even shows some scenes from them.
We can guess that all series after Turn A are not included.
00 brought a huge change with aliens and interstellar travel and that cant be ignored.
>>
>>144274833
Tomino is a huge peacefag,so he ended the gundam meta series back in 1999 with turn A.

Basically no matter how humanity evolves and develops throughout each timeline they will all get to the point where they almost decimate the solar system due to the creation of two powerful mobile suits,
the Turn A gundam and Turn X gundam.
The survivors then split into two groups people who retreat to colonies on the moon (moonrace)
and those left on earth in order to rebuild, however all technology on earth is destroyed so by the time the series takes place humanity has rebuilt up to the victorian era and are on the cusp of the industrial revolution again.

Then there's this >>144275032 some series made after Turn A are hard to fit into this timeline because of certain inconsistencies and you'd have to bend a lot of rules in order to get things to work
>>
Ok.
So-

>>144275032
Fuck me...

Ok!
So I want to watch Turn A, G Gundam, Gundam 00, Reconguista in G, Gundam Build Fighters (Try)?

>>144275104
So which is the one that "continues" from Turn A? Gundam 00?
>>
>>144275032
>00 brought a huge change with aliens and interstellar travel and that cant be ignored.
Not really. Use a little imagination! You can have the aliens and the interstellar civilization simply leave Earth at some point. The Turn-A Dark History talks of how the colonies disembarked the Solar System for deep space; you can just adapt that a little for this scenario. And the background plot how the Turn-X was alien tech and the Turn-A was reverse engineered from it, can fit pretty well into the interstellar humanity narrative.
>>
>>144275312
See this >>144272583 chart.
All timelines are separate. The "main" timeline, the original shows that started it all, is UC.
Everything else is alternate universes telling a different story unrelated to each other, just using the name gundam.

Nothing really leads to Turn A or continues to it. As said in >>144275032 and >>144275104
it was used as a somewhat distant finale delivering a message. It doesnt continue or set up any events to the series that follow it.

Just pick a show, google it to see if it interests you and watch it if it does. Although i suggest that if you pick a show with multiple entries in it's timeline you start from the earliest point in that timeline.
>>
>>144275312
>So which is the one that "continues" from Turn A? Gundam 00?
G-reco
>>144275312
that is the worst possible order to watch the franchise.
watch The original, then you can choose to either continue in production order for the first 4 or 5 entries.
Or you can watch the first series and jump straight into any AU but Turn A,G reco and GBF, these require some knowledge of prior series to be appreciated fully
>>
>>144275470
I know all that.
Dont start with the Turn X manual crap.
>>
>>144275312
>So which is the one that "continues" from Turn A? Gundam 00?
Nothing continues from Turn-A. Turn-A is endpoint of everything. But just because the series creator wanted to close the door on the franchise, Bandai/Sunrise didn't want to give up a cash cow, so they made more alternate universes.

If you're looking for OP all the time, G-Gundam is probably the best bet. Gundam in general has fairly realistic robots (it birthed the "real robot" genre after all) versus G-Gundam, whose robots are essentially Super Robots that run off magic and do impossible things all the time.

Turn-A, by series end might have OP robots, but in the beginning nobody actually knows how to use their OP robots to their full potential, so the fights are usually very tame through the majority of the show while the powercreep slowly grows. That's, honestly, DESU, the story of every Gundam show. Where the finale ends with the main character being ridiculously OP and pulling out special attacks out of his asshole, but it's a slow buildup to that point through most of the show's run. Amuro doesn't begin 0079 by pushing entire asteroids; he's mostly just fumbling around and flying by the seat of his pants.
>>
>>144275568
>Turn A,G reco and GBF, these require some knowledge of prior series to be appreciated fully
Conversely, you might not understand all the references to older series in these shows, but they're all stand alone enough in their plots, and provide enough inherently entertainment independent of its references that you can get full enjoyment without expansive Gundam knowledge. It just adds another layer you can appreciate it on.
>>
>>144275470
You can use your imagination to connect every series to Turn A if that's the case. Also all that fluff about the Turn X was just written in the MG manual. Tomino intended it as a distant finale or more like a constant and a message. At the time of it's production it was to include all the previous series. The stuff about the Turn X and the future series were in the MG Turn X manual and we dont know who wrote them
In anyway, with Tomino stating G-Reco is after Turn A and even specifying the exact timeframe between G-Reco and UC, contradict the manual and Turn A returns to it's original purpose.
>>
>>144275554
>>144275568
>>144275673
Reconguista in G seems to be one not very needing of previous knowledge and it's "erratic" story telling seems like shit I'll like since many of my favorite movies are often favorably or negatively criticized for their non-standard storytelling.
Any cons against using it as a starting point then going back to 0079? Like spoilers?
MSG 00 also picked my interested with the plot point resolution. Any series I'd have to have to watch to understand it?
>>
File: muh opinions.jpg (991 KB, 2800x2745) Image search: [Google]
muh opinions.jpg
991 KB, 2800x2745
>>144272583
Superior chart.
>>
The franchise is a goddamn clusterfuck to be honest. My best advice is suck it up and just watch everything starting from the original. It's gonna be a really long time before you find something good in there so be prepared and there's not even a lot of good stuff at the end of this tunnel. One half of G Gundam is pretty good and the other half is complete garbage and it's all mixed to together so you have to watch the whole show. Season 1 of Gundam 00 is decent. Gundam Build Fighters (not Try) is good. UC OVAs are good but you need to watch the original TV series and those suck dick. Everything by Tomino sucks dick. But if you want to get into Gundam franchise you need to watch that garbage by a crazy man. So fucking go watch the original, and then Zeta, and then ZZ, and then Char's Counterattack, and then Garzey's Wing, and then Aura Battler Dunbine, and then Brain Powerd, and then fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>144276435
Not really. Most stuff are explained but all you need to know of G-Reco is that after UC everything went to shit and people had to eat other people called Kuntala. Kuntala became a derogatory term.

00 is a standalone AU and one i really really like.
>>
>>144276677
>00
Are you talking about Gundam 00 or MSG 00 Awakening of Trailblazer? Trailblazer (movie) is the one referred to in the chart as having a plot point resolution.
>>
>>144272722
>that Gonzo Romeo and Juliet
I didn't even finish it.
>>
I'm downloading Reconguista in G now.
Guess I'll have to make a habit of visiting /m/ too.
Thanks guys.
>>
>>144276989
If this is your first introduction to Tomino style direction god bless your poor soul.
Also it's fast paced (it was basically a 52 episode show shoved into 26) so certain scenes that may seem insignificant may actually be foreshadowing events in the future.
You might want to watch it twice to get a good grasp of it,I didn't really like it the first time,but marathoning it did wonders for me.
>>
>>144277233
It's "watch it twice" again
>First time when I used this giant dragon dildo my ass hurt a lot
>But then I used it for the second time and since my ass was already ruined I managed to enjoy it

Instead of watching some shit two times it's better to not watch it at all.
>>
MUH SALT
>>
>>144276767
Are you pretending to be retarded or are you retarded? Why would you watch a movie about a series without watching the series before it?
>>
>>144277461
This is just my experience,I mean plentyl of others were able to watch it just once but I felt better watching it all in one go just to see if anything changed,and it helped quite a bit for me.
I'll admit it seems tedious,but I didn't rewatch until recently almost 2 years after it originally aired
>>
>>144277530
cut him some slack, I understand why he'd be confused after hearing about all the alternate timelines gundam has
>>
File: CW6ktyDVAAE95Ej.jpg (84 KB, 808x800) Image search: [Google]
CW6ktyDVAAE95Ej.jpg
84 KB, 808x800
Best Gundam coming through.
>>
File: Nu_Gundam.jpg (2 MB, 3933x5700) Image search: [Google]
Nu_Gundam.jpg
2 MB, 3933x5700
>>144278134
Patrician taste.
>>
>>144272764
Victory is decently popular.

Though I like how half of the mobile suit designs were such ass that even in unverse people questioned why anyone would think fucking monowheels were a good idea
>>
>>144278625
>>144278134
I loved it even wayy back in 04 when I found the old gundam website and hadn't even seen anything other than SEED

The black and yellow trim design just fucking works
>>
>>144279439
I don't mind the monowheels, but the fucking space centipede gets me, that's right out of a super robot show.
>>
>>144279665
what about the giant sand walker mobile suit carrier

Reminded me of Trigun
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.