[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Edgy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: edgeincarnate.jpg (508 KB, 1893x902) Image search: [Google]
edgeincarnate.jpg
508 KB, 1893x902
Can you guys explain what "edgy" actually means? I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

I asked because I keep seeing people say that tragedies, or something bad happening is edgy. I don't get that part. Example would be Re:Zero. Lots of bad things happening there obviously, but it is brought upon the world in which they live in. The reactions they give "fit" that.

Now I tried watching some shows for this new season, and I stumbled upon Qualidea Code. Now I can say the world there is also disastrous, but how the MC acts doesn't fit it. He goes "I'm all everyone needs here!" But you can see that he can't even take down a whole lot of enemies without help. He goes "all of you are scum and inept, just watch there and stay down" all the while there are people who are actually stronger than him. Then he just keeps on repeating the same lines over and over in the course of the show, without even any provocation from other people. Isn't this what is actually called "edgy"?

I dunno. Just want some clarifications on this.
>>
>>144156634
It's when, instead of writing interesting plot twists, or good character development, you rely on blood, gore and terrible shit happening to keep people interested
>>
>>144156634
I havn't seen it anon pretty sure that is just being a jerk
>>
>>144156788
like ajin
>>
Edgy is used as a derogatory term for anime anon doesn't like. There is no real edge, there are only degrees of grim. Edgy means "the writing in this was bad, so I will attack a superficial piece of the work instead of explaining why I don't like it".
>>
>>144156788
by that logic life itself is edgy.
>>
File: 2869.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2869.png
2 MB, 1280x720
Sabagebu taught us all.
>>
>>144156634
it's a buzzword like 'mary sue' and 'self insert'
>>
if it's not comedy/sol it's edgy
>>
Failed attempts to seem mature which instead come off as ridiculous/laughable
>>
Although it's an incoming game, but I have to question this as well. It us connected to an anime being shown right now anyway.

Berseria has a heroine which from the start is angry, because someone she trusted, killed her brother without remorse. And now she's angry and trying to hunt him. People are suddenly saying very angry = edgy. Yes I know about her clothes. I'm just focusing on the demeanor itself.

But then I saw the sample skits shown in previews, she doesn't even act angry at all with her teammates she looks reasonable and ever jokes around. She only gets really mad when she sees the guy that killed her brother. How is that edgy at all?
>>
>>144157555
Life is life. It's not edgy because it's not written. People can be edgy though.
>>
>>144156634
>liking Re: Zero

REEEEEE
>>
>rapehorse
all you need to define edgy
>>
>>144156634
It's you, anon. You are the edge.
>>
>>144156634
When something tried to be dark and deep without any finesse or polish.

Basically, a lack of maturity
>>
File: 1468322889430.jpg (178 KB, 774x675) Image search: [Google]
1468322889430.jpg
178 KB, 774x675
>>144156634
There you go Op, thank me later
>>
>>144156634
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/edgy
>Simple Definition of edgy
>: nervous and tense
>: having or showing a harsh or unkind quality
>: new and unusual in a way that is likely to make some people uncomfortable <--

It is often implied that the Anime is edgy for the sake of making people uncomfortable.
This does not necessarily have to be the case.
>>
>>144160555
>REEEEEE
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>144156788
So, something like Berserk?
>>
>>144156634
overdramatic and/or overexaggerated scenes, which is the cornerstone of a lot of shows sadly
>>
>>144156634
edgy = pretentious = I don't like it
>>
When bad stuff happen for the sake of happening, not because they make sense in the story.
Compare Re;Zero with something legitimately edgy like trash or murcielago and tell me they're the same.
>>
>>144156788
This is proof that people don't know what edgy means.
>>
Katanagatari is edgy because it's about swords. Yes that is a shitty pun.
>>
File: pZGuHSg.png (324 KB, 414x459) Image search: [Google]
pZGuHSg.png
324 KB, 414x459
>>144156634
lurk more newfag
>>
>>144156788
>horror shows
>gore/violent/action shows
>all are edgy because anon says so
>>
nothing is edgy.
just like what u like mate.
i used to look for anime with something that i can FEEL, like empathy or some shit.
but nah. i figured, it's time to enjoy some mad ecchi harems and cutesy SOLs. and in practice, those are the shit.
>>
>>144156634
It's just a buzzword you use when you want to shitpost about a show that has violence.
>>
>>144158095
Usually revenge plots with a character who's a teenager and gets really angry is just about enough the average person needs to spout edgy. Of course, its best to judge for yourself but remember that edgy is mostly a connotation for 'bad' referring to how it comes off to them.
Like Arifureta has this whole part of the plot where the MC is betrayed by one guy in his class, and he basically is shown as not caring. But the author keeps putting in scenes where he's meeting up with his class, shows him acting violent and dismissive in front of them, generally showing off and doing execution style headshots of villains and getting yelled at for being violent.
He would be the very definition of edgy as far as /a/ goes because its a teenager very clearly wrapped up in his own ego showing off then saying he's 'not showing off' while meanwhile his teacher and the two hottest girls in class actually secretly love him now for being a murderhobo.
>>
>>144163460
Might as well add UBW to that.
>>
>>144156634
A reused and plagiarized artificial buzzword no that is misused in way that really has no value. It deters from the actual meaning that should not apply and people use it out of context or definition like most buzzwords.
>>
>>144163594
There were swords in every route though
There are swords in nearly every show these days, even if its scifi
maybe its a japanese thing, they just really like swords
>>
>>144156634
>What is Edgy

Baby, hurt me.
>>
File: 1463743178567.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1463743178567.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>144163854
This pun is so bad, why am I laughing?
>>
File: sei.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sei.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>>144156634
Just continue to live in ignorance you will be happier albeit dumber
>>
>>144156634
Anything with blood and violence is edgy and bad for /a/ who is filled with moeshitters and comfycunts
>>
>>144164193
>Anything with blood and violence is edgy and bad for /a/ who is filled with moeshitters and comfycunts

It isn't they are just a very vocal minority.
Same thing with lolicons and trapfags.
>>
>>144164314
>vocal minority
Thats probably the internet in general.
I think maybe the reason why all 4chan posts seem to be by a 18-20 year old who hates everything and is a tad intellectual but lacks life experience or a sense of perspective is because those are the posts that get the most screentime.
In other words, the best girl is always down the catalog.
>>
Sasuke. Just Sasuke.
>>
When a show depends on the novelty of shock-value or counterculture ideals instead of well-developed characters or a strong narrative, then it's edgy.

In most cases the writers will assume that they're being so uNiQuE and DiFfErEnT that they'll stand out when in reality their idea is as cliche as the worst of the medium.
>>
>>144163252
All of those can be legitimate grievances.

(Too edgy. = In my opinion this show is edgy for the sake of edginess.)
>>
File: 1320840702785.jpg (74 KB, 568x878) Image search: [Google]
1320840702785.jpg
74 KB, 568x878
Berserkfags will defend this
>>
File: yeah...sorry.jpg (1023 KB, 1548x1662) Image search: [Google]
yeah...sorry.jpg
1023 KB, 1548x1662
>>144164517
>>
>>144163252
> Guys I use meme, do I fit in? Please say yes
>>
>>144163359
A story that makes people uncomfortable is not necessarily bad, though.
>>
>>144163484
So you are implying that all horror shows have poor writting?
Or maybe you just can't read.
>>
>>144163854
Sides obliterated.
>>
>>144163390
Berserk has good characters and a good story. Elfen Lied, on the other hand, is edgy
>>
If you like edgy shows, you're either underaged or a manchild who still hasn't grown from his edgelord phase and still listen to linkin park.
>>
>>144166168
They are both edgy, Elfen Lied is just garbage
>>
>>144166168
They are the same. Only difference is one is based on old fantasy so people give it a pass for being edgy, while the other is based on modern times which people automatically shun as edgy.
>>
>>144166337
>>144166458
Berserk is actually good though.
>>
>>144158797
>Life is life
NA NA NA NA NA
>>
>>144166479
That's not the point. The point is they are just the same edgy stuff. Being good or not doesn't matter in this case.
>>
>>144166135
I think you are the one lacking anon.

You just said what the anon you quoted said.
>>
>>144164753
No they can't.

Using a buzzword, even more if using it wrong, to justify your taste, is not acceptable.

>I dont like it
>why
>edgy
>how so?
>because I think its too edgy

That's just your opinion and changes nothing from a simple
>I dont like it
>>
>>144166302
Edgy post.
>>
>>144166749
Edgy comeback.
>>
File: bahamut.jpg (549 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
bahamut.jpg
549 KB, 1536x864
>>144156634
Edgy is anything (either a person or a work of fiction) that pretends to present itself as something dark or rebelious or challenging and to some degree make it its selling point but that actually isn't.

For example when you put a MC filled with inner darkness and dark past, but actually...doesn't really have any of those, like an Edgy teenager (person I mean) presents himself as dark and rebelious when he isn't, just wants to look cool. There is no darkness no real confrontation to the stablished order is just a pose.

Although, like so much other words is thrown into absolutely everything. For example, in an horror manga (or film) that "darkness" that socially inadquate thing actually exist, is actually there, so is not just a pose, but its called edgy anyway.

In the case of Qualidea Code is edgy because the MC acts cool, the world is "destroyed" they are suffering but...they are singing songs and having a leisure song, all the "dark" part doesn't really exist, it just tries to present itself as a harsh envoirement when people obviously isn't having a harsh life at all.

If you are a murder and actually murder people you are that, a murder, if you say that you are a psycopath murder but you are in your house watching lolcats, well That's just edgy.

Edgy is pretending to be dark, as oposed to actually being dark.
>>
>>144166902
This is far from how people use the term though. So that means people are just throwing it out at anything that they don't like?
>>
>>144167386
No one has used edgy on CGDCTs though. So your point is invalid.
>>
>>144167386
Well, that's what I said, they call everything edgy regardless of it actually having it or not, probably that people would call Charles Manson edgy, when the only edgy are Charles Manson "fans"
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.