[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These two light novels have proven to everyone that a shitty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: isekai.jpg (381 KB, 1285x960) Image search: [Google]
isekai.jpg
381 KB, 1285x960
These two light novels have proven to everyone that a shitty genre like Isekai can save itself with good writing.
>>
So are the authors besties or not? /a/ is very inconsistent in explaining this rumor
>>
>>144107482
Yes
>>
I don't like Konosuba or Re:Zero. I haven't felt this left out in a while.
>>
The isekai 'genre' has had mostly good anime adaptations though.

At least, comparatively speaking, with other things like battle academies.
>>
>>144107482
No
>>
>>144107155
Fuckoff pup
https://boards.fireden.net/a/thread/144104220
>>
>>144107482
Maybe
>>
>>144107155
>Any of that garbage
>good writing

tips fedora
>>
>>144107155
>These two light novels have proven to everyone that a shitty genre like Isekai can save itself with good writing.
Isekai had been around for as long as I could remember, it's just that it was once so common that there was no reason to give it a name. It's just that recently there is an explosion of copy-pasting stories that all start the same.

There is nothing wrong with Isekai, just as there is nothing wrong with slice of life, battle shonen or romantic comedy. It's just that publishers tend to be retards who have no idea what is good or bad, and as such just find out what is popular at the moment and try to find similar stories in their own back catalogue to promote. These Isekai stories have always existed, it's just that they would normally not be given an anime because they weren't trendy at the time.

Copying what everyone else is doing is the very definition of playing it safe. And it is all Publisher's fault.
>>
But to enjoy Re:Zero you have to
1: Accept the completely retarded premise that not even once the Otaku self insert character questions his presence in another world, nor has he any desire of returning home. His quest is literally becoming the MC and fulfill the flags to achieve Emilia route.
2: Half of the serie is filled with the retardation of such MC, with continuous meta references because, remember, he's from another world and it's perfectly normal to talk about dungeon masters and exp to people that can and will kill you for being insufferable.

IF anything, Re:Zero is the proof that there is no reason to be Isekai. That shows gains absolutely nothing from having the mc come from Tokyo, if he was a random farmer that lost his memory it would be the same exact shit.

Before some fanboy jumps at my throat, I do agree that the serie got better (surprisingly, the more broken Subaru became), with the so called magical negro friend actually redeeming the whole story. I want him as the MC of his own stand alone slice of life.
>>
>>144111354
I think that's the point though. He's supposed to be an insufferable little shit so you can enjoy his torment.
>>
>>144111400
I suppose? But I don't want to see him suffer, I want him to find a clear and realistic goal and achieve it.
>>
>>144111474
His goal is clear. You're an idiot if you haven't understood it. This isn't your wish-fulfillment isekai, it's about a guy fighting against fate and losing.
>>
File: hitoim.jpg (39 KB, 369x454) Image search: [Google]
hitoim.jpg
39 KB, 369x454
Now that I think about it, Escaflowne was Isekai done definitely right.
>Minimum references to Earth
>A proactive main character with a clear set of goals
>A fantastical world that's actually really fun to explore and understand

Fuck, I need to rewatch it. Those musics. That Hitomi. Those steampunkish/magitech mechas.
>>
File: 1464271463210.png (4 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464271463210.png
4 MB, 1920x1080
>>144107155
>Konosuba
>good writing
>>
>>144111609
>Hurr, you don't understand the point!
So far his goal has only been "I really want to be with Emilia-tan! Emilia Magi Tenshi!", with him trying to get her flags.
Then, as plot demands, from time to time he gets stuck in some kind of predicament that involves his death, after which he returned to "Emilia Magi Tenshi!" mode, with him being at his absolute worse, to the point of being insane, at the beginning of arc 3.
>B-but that's the point
His motivations are retarded. The goal is 100% whish fulfillment. He's a retarded otaku that thought real life (or in this case 'real' isekai) would work like in his battle harems. I get the point, but I believe that having a 100% unlikeable MC is a detriment to the story.
>>
To me, there aren't really genres that are always bad just on principle. Just ones that many people agree are, more often than not, done badly. For example I have no qualms saying I love LoGH, Aria, Ping Pong and Jojo in the same sentence because I can appreciate series from different genres because I am not a fucking retard.
>>
>>144107482
I don 't know
>>
>>144107155
What other kinds of genre can be saved just like Isekai?
There's battle harem/academy and what else?
>>
>>144111703
So you've understood it in fact. Whether or not you like it lies on you. I cannot say more than this.
>>
>>144107482
Can you repeat the question?
>>
File: 71KR1Vw4XeL._SL1280_.jpg (230 KB, 907x1280) Image search: [Google]
71KR1Vw4XeL._SL1280_.jpg
230 KB, 907x1280
>>144107155
fun isekais are better
>>
>>144107155
You don't even need to post that trash on the right as it's a KonoSuba rip off.
>>
>>144107155
One of them doesn't have good writing anon. And I'm not saying that to the anime mainly about comedy.
>>
>>144107155
Isekai isn't a genre. Konosuba and Re:zero are completely different
>>
>>144111842
Konosuba was born months AFTER Re:Zero. Get your facts straight.
>>
>>144111354
>That shows gains absolutely nothing from having the mc come from Tokyo
Well, the stuff he had from Earth were pretty necessary plot devices on the first day. And the fact that his desire IS to be the protag of a stereotypical isekai story plays pretty heavily into WHY he's becoming more and more broken.
>>
>>144111942
>Konosuba and Re:zero are completely different
>A normal person like you is teleported into a fantasy world that looks like your favorite Monster Quest. There, after finding out you have some kind of super power of some kind you start meeting lots of cute girls that for one reason or another stick out with you.

Gate would be the exact same shit, with the difference that the MC in there doesn't need super powers, he's a murder machine from the beginning. Don't you dare touch his action figures.
>>
>>144111942
Mecha isn't a genre. Mobile Suit Gundam and G Gumdam are completely different.
>>
>>144112313
Fantasy isn't a genre! Narnia and The Lord of the Rings are completely different!
>>
>>144111354
But isn't that the point of Re:Zero?
The MC has convinced himself he's the typical isekai MC and Emilia is his deserved heroine that will jump on his dick and he goes nuts when things don't work out like in his headcanon.
>>
>>144111942
Re:zero is what, a mystery-drama with some action while Konosuba is mostly comedy with some action. In that regard, you're right, but they both have the same premise.
>>
>>144107155
They're both mediocre at best, go watch Twelve Kingdoms for a genuinely good isekai that isn't pandering otakubait.
>>
>>144107547
Your not alone. Konosuba was 0% action and Re Zero was 100% cringe. On at least 6 occasions, I had to pause, take a break, and come back and finish the episode on mute. It was the only way to make it through some of the cringe. Ill take a mary sue to a complete goddamned retard any day.
>>
Claiming "going to a different world" is a genre is like claiming "going to school" is a genre.
>>
>>144107155
I think Re: Zero is a good show. Don't think about the plot too much, enjoy the cute girls, watch Subaru be an autist, and it becomes easily a show to look forward to every week.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 311x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 311x311
>>144107155
Both are garbage
One is saved by its humor(which goes downhill past episode 5) and the other is saved by competent direction(compared to most anime) by Whitefox
>>
>>144111942
Isekai is as much of a genre as magical girl is.

Precure and Madoka are completely different too.
>>
>>144107155
Anything can be good if it's well written.
Isekai itself is a great concept. There's a lot of room for growth by sticking a normal person in a fish out of water situation.

The issue is when it's poorly written crap with zero though.
>>
>>144107482
You're not the boss of me now.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (76 KB, 810x591) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
76 KB, 810x591
>>144107712
Let me screencap a post from Pup. Do you see any (You)?
>>
>>144107482

Might be.
>>
>>144107155
Re:zero is not saved by good writing, it's saved by good directing, the plot itself is meh.
>>
>>144111763
Battle harem/academy had been saved by Rakudai. I love that show.
>>
>>144107155
>Re:life in a generic isekai shit with edge
>decent
Good one.
>>
File: 1457567851294.jpg (41 KB, 640x664) Image search: [Google]
1457567851294.jpg
41 KB, 640x664
>>144112633
>I had to pause, take a break, and come back and finish the episode on mute
>>
>>144112633
>Ill take a mary sue to a complete goddamned retard any day.
wew lad
>>
File: sasuga nakamura.jpg (313 KB, 621x880) Image search: [Google]
sasuga nakamura.jpg
313 KB, 621x880
>>144112633
Reinhard for the MC.
>>
>>144111616
I could really stand it if the world building was more interesting on average. I don't expect a great story or interesting characters out of any anime, although I appreciate them. Thing is though, why the fuck are you going to throw an out-of-water character into another world and not bother with the world?

Fuck, what I absolutely hate the most is this shit where worlds operate under RPG mechanics when the setting isn't even a video game.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.