[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Character says "Kore wa kore, sore was sore" >Subs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: korewakoresorewasore.png (3 MB, 1280x2160) Image search: [Google]
korewakoresorewasore.png
3 MB, 1280x2160
>Character says "Kore wa kore, sore was sore"
>Subs say this

Where did it go wrong?
>>
Is that for the second panel? I don't think it's THAT off.
>>
>>144087256
The Subs being perfectly fine.
>>
>>144087321
She says "Kore wa kore" in the second panel and in the third one she says "sore wa sore"
>>
That's what you get for not waiting for based gg.
>>
>>144087383
Seems fine to me, unless you want an ultra literal translation.
>>
>>144087383
Nip speak is a very stupid language
>>
>>144087383
It's fine, it gets the same message that they will keep doing the same stuff while Scully and Mulder pretend to be useful.
>>
>getting triggered by subs when you don't even know the language well enough to watch raws
sausage weeaboo
>>
>>144087391
Except this is gg
>>
>>144087443
>this is coming from English user
English is bland as fuck, and the reason it's used as international language is because US and UK.
>>
>>144087531
Would the same argument (blandness) be used if French had stayed as international language
>>
>>144087514
I don't like how Kenn has a three part samurai name and still gg tries to make it western order
>>
File: 1426169798159.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
1426169798159.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>144087531
>English is bland as fuck
>>
>>144087531
English is one of the most robust languages, in both lexicon and grammar.
>>
>>144087808
It always baffles me when people change names or terms in the subs when you can clearly hear what the characters are truly saying, except in the case of wasei-eigo.

Reordering of names and stuff like changing the names of the people and stands in JoJo really make me question how dumb subbers think we actually are
>>
>>144087688
Yes. They're both baseless, so why not?
>>
>>144087256
>>144087383
Sounds fine to me.
>>
>>144088183

If you haven't noticed, some of the stands in JoJo are singers, bands, or song names, so they have to be changed for licensing issues.
>>
>>144087256
Looks fine to me.
>>
>>144088311
I know this, and it makes sense when they officially publish the manga here, but we're watching quasi-illegal translations from the internet
What is the use of avoiding licensing issues in an activity that's already liable to licensing issues?
>>
>>144088657
No, if you have any issue with names in Jojo then you're watching official translation.
>>
>>144088183
Name reordering is a Japanese convention though.
>>
>>144087256
>what is gg

I know it's summer but come on.
>>
>>144089823
Asian names in general are backwards to westerners, it's not a uniquely Japanese thing
>>
That's perfectly fine you idiot.
>>
In the near future fansubbers are going to replace snippets of audio with funny fan dubbed lines and we will look back at these days as the golden age.
>>
>>144088657

I thought you were talking about official translations.

Shit is retarded in the non-official translations.
>>
>>144087256
>THIS IS THIS
>THAT IS THAT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>144087531
A language is nothing more than a tool, it should be efficient and cause as few misunderstandings as possible. English excels in this regard while Japanese flounders.Even if you want a beautiful language for the purpose of poetry or art, you go to a Latin based language like French, Italian, or Spanish.

tldr: Asian languages a shit
>>
>>144091504
He probably thinks it's official subtitles.
>>
>>144098263
>A language is nothing more than a tool
This /a/non gets it
>>
>>144088086
No it is not. No language is better for communication than any other language.

t. Linguist
>>
"This is this and that is that" is totally an expression used in English though so a literal translation would work but of course [gg] will do their thing.
>>
>>144098536
This.
Fuck the other anon who said that English is a bland language, though. It's one of the more interesting ones due to the heaps of exceptions and irregularities in both grammar and especially lexicon.
>>
>>144088657
>I know this, and it makes sense when they officially publish the manga here, but we're watching quasi-illegal translations from the internet
Only Horrible Subs change the names of Stands, since their translations are basically the same as Crunchyroll's, which stream the official, licensed ones where names get changed to avoid lawsuits. If you're willing to wait a few hours after the release you can find subs that keep true to the actual names. Besides, I don't really get how you get triggered by this. If you read the Manga, you know what the stands are called. Even if you don't read the manga, you can clearly here them saying the actual names, even if it's Engrish.
>>
>>144098437
No, he doesn't, and you don't either. Language isn't nothing more than a tool, language carries history, culture, customs and regional differences. Languages reflects human societies and their development. If you want a language that is nothing but a mere tool I suggest you only communicate in fucking programming languages.
>>
>>144099011
No I mean't language is a tool to fucking communicate. Of course if you really want to yes it will reflect human societies but in reality it is just a tool so that we can communicate with each other.
>>
>>144099147
No, it's not a case of "if you really want to". Language is a tool to communicate, yes, but it goes beyond just that as it also can be analyzed for how it reflects certain developments in history or culture. And English is not all that efficient at it, either. Like every single language there is, it can be used easily by native speakers, and with barriers by non-natives. The reason English has become the world language isn't because it is so easy to pick up on, it is because of the vast influence that English-speaking cultures have had on the world over the course of late history. We assume it is easy to learn, but that is - probably - mainly due to its wide spread, resulting in early and frequent exposure of it to would-be non-native speakers.
Especially the discrepancies between pronunciation and spelling, and the inconsistencies in how the spelling reflects the pronunciation, make it clear that English is not exactly an easy language. In fact I would dare say that there is no such thing as easy or hard when it comes to language, not objectively at least. Native speakers of Romance languages, for example, will have it fairly easy when learning another Romance language, but will probably struggle a lot more with something like Russian or Japanese, i.e. languages of regions where the Romans never had much of an influence. Of course it goes the other way, too, which is why many Asians are hilariously bad at English, or at least used to be. Not to mention that they have to learn to produce sounds that are foreign to their own language and that they are not used to.
I'm not sure what I'm getting at with this post at this point so I'll stop now.
>>
>>144098830
Ugh, not really. English isn't anymore interesting than say Swahili, Pashto or Inuit. All languages have irregularities, exceptions, loanwords, etc. Saying stuff like "English is the most X" is very anglocentric, mostly false and denotes a lack of knowledge about other languages.
>>
>>144099514
Note that I said interesting. Interest implies subjectivity, and I was just subjectively disagreeing with this anon.
>>
File: s355.jpg (4 KB, 109x187) Image search: [Google]
s355.jpg
4 KB, 109x187
>>144087256
how would you have translated this?
and i mean in a sensible way.
>>
>>144099514
>Ugh, not really.
>Ugh
Fuck off.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.