[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This series goes to complete shit after Toriyama adapts it to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: KingPiccoloSpitsoutCymbal.jpg (52 KB, 800x604) Image search: [Google]
KingPiccoloSpitsoutCymbal.jpg
52 KB, 800x604
This series goes to complete shit after Toriyama adapts it to where the characters have scifi alien backstorys. Remember when Goku was just mystical monkey tail boy based on JTTW?

The only thing good about post-Saiyan Arc Dragon Ball is Cell and seeing Bulma and Chi Chi as milfs.
>>
Stop fucking acting like you were around before Z.
>>
The Saiyan Arc was good
>>
File: 1465679258204.jpg (30 KB, 480x394) Image search: [Google]
1465679258204.jpg
30 KB, 480x394
>>143721068
Not him but I was.
I watched DB at least 3 times before getting into Z because I didn't care for the tone of the series during the Saiyan saga. Until one day I got super hype when I was at a friend's house and saw Goku transforming into a SSJ. After that I was all over Z. I was seven at the time by the way.
>>
Why do people hold such strong opinions on a manga they've clearly never read?
>>
>>143721068
DB is the reason i got mad hype for DBZ, i still don't understand how you burgers could watch DBZ before the original.
>>
>>143721068
It wouldn't matter if I started watching yesterday, anyone can see the huge drop in quality.
>>
>>143721266
They got no option as kids. I'm sad for the burgers. Watching Goku growing up was a joy.
>>
piccolo is retconned not long after he's introduced, I mean he's fucking huge at debut and within a few episodes he's just somewhat taller than humans
>>
>>143721378
I am a burger and we had Dragon ball airing and localized before Z where I live.
>>
Just a simple reminder that there is no difference between DB and DBZ and anyone who thinks "it was better before" is a nostalgiafag.
>>
>>143722776
Same here. Z might have hit first but it's not the one I watched first.
>>143720778
DB was good until goku killed piccolo and krillin had his neck snapped. I still found some joy in Z but not so much after frieza died. Frieza arc was pretty conclusive to goku's origins and had a real villain who was tied to it. We then descended into angsty teenagers, living bubblegum and not so perfect bug men. None of those villains had an interesting reason for thier villainy nor were they as powerful as frieza. DB is still my fave of the series, fantasy adventure is toryama's strength.
>>
>>143720778
I feel the same way. Growing up as a dumb little kid following the show from the start eating grandma's pancakes in the morning I enjoyed both. Tried rewatching a few years ago because most of it had already been forgotten to me and I absolutely loved DB all the same. DBZ was such fucking garbage though I just had to drop it at Buu.
>>
>>143722830
Except for the fact that there are major story/world/character changes upon the time "Z" begins to the point where it's completely reasonable to differentiate the two for conversation sakes.

Not only is there a big drop in quality but the series was actually fundamentally adapted to where Goku and Piccolo are aliens instead of just mystical earthly creatures.
>>
>>143722776
>i am a burger

Mind if i bite you a litle ?
>>
>>143722830
The entirity of DB is spent on seeing goku go on adventures and seeing the world with him, him developing as a person and building bonds between those who were his enemies, interesting fights that weren't just powerlevel wankery and him getting stronger through all of this.

The namek saga, which is considered the high point of Z, gives us a stretched out fuckfest of characters who have fallen into irrelevancy playing cat and mouse with frieza while waiting for Goku to get out of the plot device and have a transformation wankoff before kicking frieza's ass. Let me also remind you that power levels, fusions, a heavy shift from lighthearted comedy, "pain makes us sayins stronger n shit" and ancient aliens only became a thing with Z.

No difference my ass.
>>
>>143723919
Depends how willing are you to risk kuru?
>>
>>143724063
That's only if you eat the brain iirc.
>>
>>143720778
King Piccolo is probably the best villain in the series, if only because he doesn't beat around the bush and was extremely savvy and competent. Remember when he actually killed Goku?
>>
>>143724135
Actually it can come from eating other parts too, it is just more likely in the brain.
>>
>>143720778
The Namek arc (manga) was great because of how intense and exciting it was. It really goes stupid when they all turn super and time travel nonsense.
>>
>>143721715
Yeah, that could have been explained by Junior not being as big as King Piccolo. But Kami isn't huge anymore either and he's the same as the original
>>
>>143724035
This is what happens when you time skip

You go from fun wacky cool adventures

to power levels

every time
>>
>>143720778
Nah, the series dropped in quality somewhat after the Piccolo Daimao arc. However it didn't go to complete shit until GT and now Super.
>>
>>143724035
>pain makes us sayins stronger n shit
This was there since early DB to be honest.
>>
>>143721068
Not him but I was around before DB was even an anime, I'm sure many here were as well.
>>
>>143721068
Does that even matter? Anyone can go watch from the beginning.
>>
>>143722830
You're lying and you know it
>>
>>143721143
Are you me?
Thats how I literally got into Z
>>
>The other characters spend all that time training
>can't even beat nappa
>can't even beat a signle ginyu
>>
>>143720778
I'd say it drops in quality after that
I could accept goku being an alien and him getting stronger everytime he got beat up even though it underminded his past efforts
but piccolo being an alien and a second set of even more powerful dragonballs was too convenient
also the z fighters not being able to take down a single saiyan was bullshit, fuck you toriyama

the android saga was when the series went to complete shit imo
>vegeta stops being a bad guy who wants immortality
>gets with bulma and has a son
>time travel clusterfuck
>everyone can go super saiyan
>story is no longer about the dragonballs
>an earth scientist from the army that goku rekt as a kid is able to build androids stronger than mecha frieza

just too much bullshit for me
>>
>>143729953
honestly the show went pants on head retarded once people were able to blow up planets
>>
>>143721068
Not him, but why does that even matter?
>>
>>143721143
>I watched DB at least 3 times before getting into Z because I didn't care for the tone of the series during the Saiyan saga.

How could you know about the tone of DBZ if you didn't watch it first?
>>
>>143726896
One Piece begs to differ.
>>
>>143724203
You have a point, plus it gave Yamcha that cool side quest where he had to defend the dragonballs. Shame that Yamcha doesn't doesn't use that snowy wolf fist shit or whatever it was.
>>
>>143729953
You kind of have a point
>>
>>143729953
The androids are the worst part.

At least use the deux ex machina balls to make it somewhat plausible for Gero to make things that powerful.
>>
>>143720778
I blame the editor beaing fired/leaving/changed

>Kazuhiko Torishima and is best known for being author Akira Toriyama's editor during the run of Dr. Slump and through the first half of Dragon Ball.
>Akira Toriyama's editor during the run of Dr. Slump and through the first half of Dragon Ball.
>through the first half of Dragon Ball.
>>
>goku gets sick and nothing can cure it (in this timeline)
>this incurable sickness is forgotten forever after this incident
>>
File: 65745(1).jpg (4 KB, 152x160) Image search: [Google]
65745(1).jpg
4 KB, 152x160
>>143722776
>>
>>143731172
Are you sure about that?
>>
>>143731172

It also went to shit. Stop deluding yourself.
>>
I actually didnt know the original DB existed, where I lived it just kept looping DBZ starting at Raditz. Even when I grew up, all the games I bought took place in the Z timeline. It was fucking bizarre when I finally started learning there was an original DB series. I still don't really "feel" like DB is real and the legitimate original/prequel. It just doesn't make sense to me.
>>
>>143732935
>where I lived it just kept looping DBZ starting at Raditz

funny, where I lived they kept looping the 21st, 22nd and 23rd world tournaments
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.