[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recognize it has bad writing I recognize he is annoying as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: subaru.gif (203 KB, 221x344) Image search: [Google]
subaru.gif
203 KB, 221x344
I recognize it has bad writing
I recognize he is annoying as shit
I recognize the "time reset" gimmick is as old as time itself
Yet despite all that, I can't help but watching it week in week out. What is wrong with me?
>>
>I try to make up excuses to hate it but I still like it

So in other words, it's good.
>>
Your subjective taste is objectively shit.
>>
>>143622037
It is more that it has something that ensures I keep coming back, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Usually I could answer it with something obvious such as "best girl" or so, but that isn't the case here.
>>
>>143622102
stakes and exploring the unknown. same reason dark souls does well

kek
>>
So, why the fuck does everyone hate this show and call it "reddit:zero"? Is it because it's a genre that can appeal to a widespread audience?

It's not great, but it's better than a lot of shit last season.
>>
>>143621974
If you like it you like it. Criticize it all you want but that's not going to detract the enjoyment.
>>
I gave it a shot because I usually like fantasy stuff but god if this shit just isn't tedious.
I don't care if mr. autism suffers, and the fact that you know everything is just going to end in death and reset until he trial-and-errors through just makes it all pointless. Where's the tension when you know he's just going to die and do it over? Where's the investment in shit happening when you know it's just gonna un-happen?

That whole falling out with Emilia last week was neat but it was fucking boring to watch through just because I knew there was no permanence to it. He's just going to get fucked this week and do it over, so why should I even care?

Return by death was a neat gimmick, but when it's the main and only gimmick of every single arc it gets old real fast. The whole show has been a one-trick pony.
>>
>>143622090
Agreed, but it is why I watch anime to start with.
>>
>>143622143
that will happen to anything popular

2.5k comments on that last re zero reddit thread though.
>>
>>143621974
Just like all of /a/ you have a shit taste

So do i.
>>
>>143622200
Maybe you should just drop it.
>>
>>143622268
I'm contemplating it.
I only got around to watching last week's episode yesterday because that's how low on my list of priorities its dropped.

If this week doesn't seriously betray my expectations, I'll probably just give it up.
>>
>>143621974
I dunno but thanks for making my trip more fun.
>>
>>143622139
>dark souls
>kek
/v/ermin identified
>>
>>143622379
perhaps an "/s" instead of a "kek"?

or maybe a "haha"

you definitely wouldn't like a lel, that much I can tell.
>>
>>143622336
I am just watching to how his modern background comes into play. i.e. how did he end up in mysteryland and how is he going to get back.

Thinking about modern shit, that is what is so annoying about him, it like watching the biggest whiteknight on earth protecting a gurl in WoW after his IRL self was placed into the game world. Who likes whiteknights?
>>
I think the show is bad but fuck the people who just shit on it because it's popular.

But I have to say I do chuckle whenever I see "reddit:zero".
>>
>>143622507
>Who likes whiteknights?
reddit, which also answers >>143622143 's question
>>
File: 1466976627051.png (894 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1466976627051.png
894 KB, 1366x768
I want to kill this fucking cunt.
>>
>>143622525
Well yeah, if the show was bad and no one cared about it there would be no reason to shit on it.
>>
>>143622102
It's an isekai show
>>
>>143622525
Fuck Reddit for leaking those pastebin spoilers.
>>
>>143622584
he did nuffin wrong, MC did everything wrong
>>
File: 1441608289724.jpg (143 KB, 1272x720) Image search: [Google]
1441608289724.jpg
143 KB, 1272x720
>>143622584
>>
>>143622139
Dark Souls sells because it's le hard japanese game, not because of exploration.
>>
File: 01511.jpg (253 KB, 750x1079) Image search: [Google]
01511.jpg
253 KB, 750x1079
>>143621974
We're all in this for the suffering. Nothing more.
>>
>>143622139
dark souls is awful, play vagrant story
>>
File: 1460169302043.png (1 MB, 1199x630) Image search: [Google]
1460169302043.png
1 MB, 1199x630
episode

SOON
>>
>>143621974
easy, the show is actually good, but like the little faggot you are, you like to nitpick at its problems and try to find a reason to hate it despite enjoying it like the jaded bitch you are.
>>
>>143622584
Hi there subaru if you shamac yourself anymore even the trap kemonomini is not going to be able to heal you
>>
/a/ has really shit taste it's even on display in this thread
>>
>>143622763
Kill yourself.
>>
>>143622662
>le hard japanese game
The game is as unjapanese as a japanese game can get. If anything it is because it is not a le typical japanese game that it sells. Muv-Luv is a "typical" moon game, but I have yet to encounter anyone who is familiar with that outside of /a/&co.

The "le japanese game" argument sort of applies to the persona series. I am convinced people only pretend to like that game so they can act like they are exotic people who enjoy oriental media.
>>
>>143622200
>That whole falling out with Emilia last week was neat but it was fucking boring to watch through just because I knew there was no permanence to it. He's just going to get fucked this week and do it over, so why should I even care?
Is he? What makes you think the current checkpoint would be set -before- he made an ass of himself?
>>
>>143622869
See, that's the kind of twist that would make things interesting, but it wouldn't retroactively make those boring "waiting for the next redo" episodes any less boring.
>>
>>143622904
Well then, I'm pretty sure things are going to get interesting.
>>
>>143622720
I would say you were correct if it weren't for the fact that there are shows I genuinely fully enjoy without "nitpicking to find flaws". Lucky Star comes to mind, Non Non Byori, Amnesia, Prison School, No game/No life are all shows completely enjoyed without thinking to myself " am watching this despite it being shit". For the same reason any sort of "stop listening to /a/" argument doesn't apply, because I don't anyway.
>>
>>143621974
>I recognize it has bad writing
It really doesn't
>I recognize he is annoying as shit
He is but he is supposed to be, so he can grow from that state to a better person.
>I recognize the "time reset" gimmick is as old as time itself
Everything has already been done, this is not actually a noteworthy point.
>Yet despite all that, I can't help but watching it week in week out. What is wrong with me?
Because it is engaging, and entertaining.
In other words, it is good, so you like it.
>>
File: 1401208127661.jpg (62 KB, 521x593) Image search: [Google]
1401208127661.jpg
62 KB, 521x593
>>143621974
You fell for the meme, simple as that.
>>
>>143622200
>I knew there was no permanence to it
Apparently you know nothing. Some of the worst, heart wrenching shit that happens to Subaru is between checkpoints. The returns make him suffer it more and more.
>>
>>143621974
The writing isn't bad at all, it's interesting and makes you want to keep watching.
Subaru being annoying is half of the fun, and the time reset trope isn't as common as you'd think.
It's a 8/10 show, easily. Everything else this season is even shittier.
>>
>>143623002
>It really doesn't
it really does

>He is but he is supposed to be, so he can grow from that state to a better person.
"I was only pretending to be retarded"-writers edition.
>Everything has already been done, this is not actually a noteworthy point.
LotR didn't have works that were really anything like it before it was published, there is folklore and Norse mythology etc. that has some parallels with it, but LotR was pretty much unique (to name just the first example that came to mind). So you are objectively wrong.

>entertaining
Yes, people always enjoy watching suffering and things going wrong, and this show manages to do it on a meta level.
>>
>>143622763
You have to go back >>>/v/
>>
>>143621974
so you need to apologize for liking what you like?

go back to MAL, buy a fedora and just give up.
>>
>>143623140
>LotR didn't have works that were really anything like it before it was published, there is folklore and Norse mythology etc. that has some parallels with it, but LotR was pretty much unique (to name just the first example that came to mind). So you are objectively wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien%27s_influences
>>
>>143622379
>>143622662
>>143622704
>/a/ hates dark souls

Why am I not surprised? Play moar touhou fag.
>>
>>143623322
I don't hate DaS, I'm just pointing out why it's popular.
>>
>>143623322
Isn't Touhou more insanely finger bleeding difficult then Dark Souls?
Bullet hells are called that for a good reason.
>>
>>143623191
>apologize
ESL kun, you need to learn to read a bit better.
>>
>>143623210
>I aknowledge LotR had influences but state that a very creative and unique work was created out of it nonetheless.
>LOL LAMO LLOOK AT ALL THESE INFLUENEENCES
Go find a mirror and take a long hard look into it.
>>
>>143623382
It is bot harder and has an arguably larger and more hardcore following. The only thing it "loses out on" compared to Dark Souls is its normie appeal.
>>
>>143623481
> this mad after being smacked the fuck down.
> using the most autistic insult I've ever heard.

I almost thought you were a cool guy, anon.
>>
>>143623481
Since you are too inept to click on a link and read yourself.
>Both of them provided some of the basis for Richard Wagner's opera series, Der Ring des Nibelungen, featuring in particular a magical golden ring and a broken sword reforged. In the Völsungasaga, these items are respectively Andvarinaut and Gram, and they correspond broadly to the One Ring and the sword Narsil (reforged as Andúril). The Volsunga Saga also gives various names found in Tolkien. Tolkien wrote a book entitled The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, in which he discusses the saga in relation to the myth of Sigurd and Gudrún.
>Tolkien's Elves and Dwarves are by and large based on Norse and related Germanic mythologies Two sources that contain accounts of elves and dwarves that were of interest to Tolkien were the Prose Edda and the Elder or Poetic Edda. The descriptions of elves and dwarves in these works are ambiguous and contradictory, however. Within the contents of the Völuspá, specifically in stanza 9, the creation of Dwarves predates Man, which is precisely the formula Tolkien uses for Middle-earth. The names of Gandalf and the dwarves in The Hobbit were taken from the "Dvergatal" in the Elder Edda and the "Gylfaginning" in the Prose Edda.
>The figure of Gandalf is particularly influenced by the Norse deity Odin in his incarnation as "The Wanderer", an old man with one eye, a long white beard, a wide brimmed hat, and a staff. Tolkien, in a letter of 1946, nearly a decade after the character was invented, wrote that he thought of Gandalf as an "Odinic wanderer". Much like Odin, Gandalf promotes justice, knowledge, truth, and insight.[14]
These are all heavy influences from preexisting works that large parts of LotR outright borrows from.
I am not trying to say LotR was bad but saying there was nothing like it is totally false, you also have other grand adventure works like the Ramayana and the Odyssey.
>>
>>143622683
What is Subaru doing here?
>>
>>143623322
touhou is harder than any souls game.

Vagrant Story is harder than any souls game.

Both are better as well.
>>
>>143623765
>spoonfeeding
should have just linked him to la blu grl

glad for my sake though you put the argument out and did so clearly. not that it'll do any good for the idiot claiming derivative works are inherently flawed, but it's still nice to see not everyone on /a/ is terminally autistic
>>
>>143621974
>I recognize it has bad writing
I think the characters are pretty copy and paste so far, but I think the plot itself is being executed in a way that I haven't really seen done before. Making the MC have to die to go back in time is interesting to me because there's something very slapstick about it, it almost feels like a joke (sort of like Kenny from south park). On the other hand it opens up a new conversation from a humanity standpoint about the implications of experiencing death multiple times and what that might do to a person. Whether white fox is hitting its mark on this is definitely up for debate... But that concept, nonetheless, has me interested and is a reason I keep coming back.

>I recognize he is annoying as shit.
The way I see it, Subaru is completely aware of his circumstances. Meaning he knows he can act like a complete jackass if he wants too, because how is he to know if this is even real or not? Think about it, he still isn't sure if he's in a game or not. I may act a little egregiously if I were in a similar situation as well. This is why I think his actions are so fucking bold and border line retarded sometimes. He doesn't think there are ANY consequences for anything he does in this world. So he takes risks in EVERYTHING he does. Including interactions with Emilia.

If you like a show, then it is doing something right. Don't beat yourself up for liking something that is against the status quo on this board. Own up to your opinions. It's much more admirable. Try and articulate for yourself why you like this show.
>>
>>143623765
But I acknowledge this anon, I can only conclude that you are an ESL fag and didn't understand me.
>>
>>143624238
But it was not unique the basis of the plot, entire plot devices, characters, and names were all borrowed from existing works.
Unique:being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else.
>LotR didn't have works that were really anything like it before it was published
This is objectively false because there were other works like it, go read some classical, and mythological literature You will find similar stories.
>>
>>143621974
The writing isn't bad, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>143623140
>"I was only pretending to be retarded"-writers edition.
What the fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>143623518
>normie
Fuck off.
>>
>>143624541
I think he is saying that character development is a writers cop out... which makes no god damn sense and probably just bait.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.